We Gotz Baybeez!!!

Old June 13th 04, 12:22 PM
RobZip

Default We Gotz Baybeez!!!

I'm hoping that 5 new kittens is the final count. All healthy, active, noisy
and feeding well.

For some reason, my wife, Heidi, couldn't sleep last night and was up at
3am. I was watching the 24 Hours of LeMans coverage and was still up
anyways. I had a feeling today was going to be the day the kittens arrived.
At chow call last night Sammy went to the feeding spot and laid down while I
got the food ready. She never sat up to eat, electing instead to allow me to
push the plate under her nose. She took a few bites while laying down and
lost interest.

At 3:55 this morning, she followed me into the kitchen, sat down, looked up
at me and let go a strange meow - kind of a meeeyap! Then she immediately
started panting. I called my wife in. Sammy repeated her vocalizations a few
times more. I picked her up and took her to the birthing box in the bedroom.
She laid down and went into hard contractions right away. At 4:10am the
first kitten arrived, a carbon copy of mom. Twenty minutes later the second
one came, pure black with just a small white spot at the base of each ear.

The last kitten arrived at 7am. There are 4 of them in varying intensities
of orange tiger like mom and the one black one. Sammy did real well cleaning
them up but was quite tired after number 3. I had to extract the placentas
and cut the cords for the last 2 as Sammy was quite weak by then. Delivering
number 5 took a bit of help, holding Sammy upright on her haunches so she
could get better leverage and a bit of gravity assist. My wife said that
every time I left the room Sammy became noticeably anxious, raising up
trying to see over the top of the box. Whenever I called out to her, Heidi
says she relaxed and started making goo-goo eyes and kneading motions with
her front paws. Five kittens, all healthy, mom tired but doing well and
nobody in the house got any sleep. Life is good...

Our 4 year old neutered female, Cassie, came in to inspect the event and
seemed quite pleased. Sammy didn't seem at all distressed and in fact acted
quite content to see her buddy there. I'll wait till later to try and
determine sexes and try to get some pictures too.

Old June 13th 04, 01:17 PM
RobZip

"RobZip" wrote in message
I'm hoping that 5 new kittens is the final count.

Ooops... Just when Sammy looked settled in and finished, she started with
new contractions. Baby number 6 came at 8:05am.

Old June 13th 04, 01:17 PM
RobZip

Old June 13th 04, 01:17 PM
RobZip

Old June 13th 04, 04:11 PM
.oO rach Oo.

Congrats! Holy crap... that's a LOT of kittens though!

Hope your new additions are doing well and keep us updated!

--
rach

Old June 13th 04, 05:08 PM
Mary

"RobZip" wrote

The last kitten arrived at 7am. There are 4 of them in varying intensities

of orange tiger like mom and the one black one.

They sound really beautiful, please post photos!!

My wife said that every time I left the room Sammy
became noticeably anxious, raising up trying to see over the top of the

box. Whenever I called out to her, Heidi says she relaxed and started
making goo-goo eyes and kneading motions with her front paws.

Aww, you're a good dad! Tell me, did she purr while giving birth? My Gnarly
purred the whole time, my first clue that purring can indicate emotions that
are not entirely pleasurable.

Thanks for the report, it really is a neat thing to witness and those of us
who adopt adult, spayed cats don't get to see kittens very often. (Gnarly
was pregnant when I adopted her off the street.)