stupid stupid people

Old August 7th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default stupid stupid people

On 7 Aug, 05:25, Rhonda wrote:
Lynne wrote:
on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 05:52:07 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

I don't think it's the fact that you have different opinions as to why
you are killfiled, I think it's how you present your opinion. If you
come off as abrasive and judgmental and as not having any respect for
the person you are talking to -- then that's your choice, Just don't get
even more mad when people choose to stop listening.

It's not even just the abrasiveness, really, it's the huge steaming piles
of crap she writes. I have no time for that.

What, no time for steaming piles of crap? You must be REALLY busy.

Rhonda

no just tired and trying to fill in a very long application form for
some funding, thought I might get some light relief by taking a quick
look at what was happenign here, big mistake really

Old August 7th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
bookie wrote:

never heard of the cathartic effect? talking cure?

I had to look that up! Google has a search for scholarly articles now.
Here's what I found for cathartic effect:

"In general, empirical findings have been inconsistent with the catharsis
hypothesis (see reviews by Geen & Quanty, 1977, and Warren & Kurlycheck,
1981). Tavris (1988) concluded that "it is time to put a bullet, once and
for all, through heart of the catharsis hypothesis. The belief that
observing violence (or 'ventilating it') gets rid of hostilities has
virtually never been supported by research" (p. 194). Because activities
considered to be cathartic also are aggressive, they could lead to the
activation of other aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behavioral
tendencies which in turn could lead to greater anger and aggression
(Berkowitz, 1984; Tice & Baumeister, 1993)."

http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp763367.pdf

Now this is interesting.

Old August 7th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 7 Aug, 05:18, Rhonda wrote:
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 05:52:07 +0000, Rhonda wrote:

bookie wrote:

On 3 Aug, 13:46, Lynne wrote:

on Fri, 03 Aug 2007 06:53:23 GMT, Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

Bookie was addressing Lynne, but Lynne supposedly has killfiled
Bookie, so I bumped the post.

Well don't bother. I have her kill-filed for a reason, and I'm not
inclined to read her blather even when quoted. --
Lynne

thats really quite pathetic and puerile of you then, typical yank
ignorance; I don't like what I hear so I am just going to out my hands
over my ears and refuse to listen especially when other peolpe have a
different opinion to me about something

Bookie,

I don't think it's the fact that you have different opinions as to why
you are killfiled, I think it's how you present your opinion. If you
come off as abrasive and judgmental and as not having any respect for
the person you are talking to -- then that's your choice, Just don't get
even more mad when people choose to stop listening.

Rhonda

Hmmm. It's true that Bookie tosses out some flame bait, with her
comments about Americans, fat people, putting a burning tire around
someone's neck, etc. etc. But so what??? Most of what she posts is
about her cats or her comments about other people's cat issues. If
people find it necessary to censor their own newsfeed because they can't
tolerate her jibes, that's their business, but, as she says above, it is
puerile. And it is doubly puerile because they always find it necessary
to make a public announcement about it.

So you think the judgmental comments she tosses out about groups of
people (Americans, children, etc.) are flame bait? I was thinking it was
more genuine anger -- maybe misdirected, but still coming from somewhere.

The PA's about killfiling do seem to be a touchy subject with some. It
doesn't strike me one way or another if someone announces it. I always
thought they were telling the intendee to stop shouting into the wind.

Rhonda- Hide quoted text -

In some ways I agree with you here.

I can remember getting worked up into a lather when someone announced
that they were going to killfile me, quite recently in fact. But, the
more I thought about it, the more I realised that the person who chose
to kill file me could have quite easily done so & kept it to them
self. The whole reason for announcing it, was to humiliate me. It
really had nothing to do with what I said @ all..It was more to do
with thinking/ knowing they had the power & wielding it it to
humiliate not just me, but everyone who they disliked, for whatever
reasons. It wasn't until someone grouped them together with me &
another feline friend, that the penny dropped.

They were more concerned with what other people thought of them, than
being grouped with us for an entirely different reasons. Now, I
couldn't care less, because I understand why. The only reason that it
hurt @ all in the first place was because I actually cared for &
respected them- Now that I know better, It is no loss to me @ all,
because in that one instant, they showed me how shallow they actually
were.. & I saw them in their true colours for the first time.

The moral of this story, is that everyone has the choice as to whether
or not they read something, however, if they choose to treat you that
way in public, that person is probably best avoided. They hold you in
contempt & obviously feel superior for one reason or another, & feel
the need for others to know it for personal agenda's. You can choose
to ignore people quietly & you are not forced into humiliating anyone,
whether you like them, or not!

A lot of people might find what Bookie has to say as abrasive &
thoughtless. I think that you will find that she does it for a good
reason. This is her method of sorting out the wood from the tree's.
You might not agree with her methods, or her opinion's, but I think
you will find that she is honest in everything that she says. Some of
the things she says *are* outrageous, but she never feeds you full of
simpering Bull Sh@t . I think you will find that we all have our
moments of passion, anger in expression. (excluding charlie of course,
Lol) It's how you choose to deal with it that matters.

And, Yes, I do include myself here! )
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 7th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

wrote:

[...]

Sheelagh "o"- Hide quoted text -

you see i don't think i am abrasive when compared to some other people
who post here, some other people post stuff is is far more outrageous
and rude than me and are sometimes really insulting to people who are
looking for advice in a way which is totally out of context with the
situation Actually to be honest i don' t care, it amuses me when
people complain about somethign I have said, or more usually the way i
have said it, because i think of all the times when they have said or
done somethign which has upset me or generally been totally out of
line (and I am talking in the wider world, not just here) and i just
let it slide and tell myself to 'get over it' and that everyone has a
right to say what they think etc etc and that i shoud just unclench my
buttocks a bit and not be so uptight.
what bugs me is when that freedom to behave as one chooses does not
extend to me, but then that's life and life sucks most of the time.

and about killfiling; i can't be arsed with it, i just don't bother
reading things posted by some people who I think are tedious or not
cat-related or just utter crap. For example I have stopped reading a
lot of barry's posts purely because i find them totally
incomprehensible and I have no idea what on earth he is going on about
in most of them

bookie

Old August 8th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:42:15 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

I think the overstated use of
killfiles is a feeble ploy, but I don't get myself worked up because
people do it. I'm just expressing an opinion.

You seem to have an issue with killfiles. Is it trauma related? Too many
people killfiled you in the past? Personally, I make liberal use of
filtering and find it invaluable. The signal-to-noise ratio on Usenet is
greatly improved that way, and in this group, that's saying a lot. When I
travel and have only Google Groups with which to read the newsgroups, I
tend not to read them at all.

At any rate, as I said, I KF'd her long before saying anything about it.
Almost immediately after she discovered this group, in fact. Whatever
"message" I was delivering by finally announcing it was appropriate at the
time *for me* (and probably relevent to whatever discussion was occuring).
I find it highly amusing that you are bothered by it.

--
Lynne
Old August 9th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

wrote:

[...]

bookie- Hide quoted text -

what bugs me is when that freedom to behave as one chooses does not
extend to me, but then that's life and life sucks most of the time.....

Yes, life does rather Suck @ times. And, I fully appreciate exactly
what you say too.

Quite recently, I felt that need, but was advised it just wasn't
Netiquet. Some things are just "too no go", & you are expected to do
it privately. Actually, I have also recently found out that this can &
does work quite well. One has to adapt to other cultures & the way
others do things. When in Rome, do as...the Romans do....

It's actually quite liberating )

ANYWAY!
I have sat on my fingers all evening, waiting for a post telling me
how our new gentleman is doing.....PLEASE?????

major cuddles extended from sheelagh, with furry face rubs too

Sheelagh "o"