Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

Old July 11th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

When I went back home from SC in April, Mom's 2007 taxes hadn't been done
yet. Dad's 1099-R from his military pension had gone missing and I wasn't
able to get a copy prior to the 4/15 deadline.

Now, they've been using this woman to prepare their taxes for years. I've
no idea what her qualifications are (other than she has a copy of TurboTax
and claims she's been a tax preparer for 25 years). She said she'd request
an extension. She got all the information including the 1099-R before I
left.

I didn't get back here until June 9th. During that time Mom had left
several messages with this woman asking where are her tax forms? She never
heard a word from her. I picked up the gauntlet and started calling. Kept
getting voicemail; she never called back.

Now, I knew this from when I was here before, Mom had mailed the IRS a check
for their 2006 taxes (which was duly cashed) but she neglected to mail the
form 1040 with the check. Dad's dimentia was severe by that time and since
he didn't tell Mom to mail the forms too, she didn't know any better. For
some reason this woman took those forms with her when she took the 2007
stuff. I've no idea why! I have a vague recollection she said she'd take
care of it. Well, they (Mom & Dad) got a letter in the mail on 6/30 from
the IRS looking for the 2006 forms and giving 30 days to provide proof
they'd filed taxes before they'd start assessing penalties, etc.

I redoubled my efforts to call this woman. Apparently I wasn't the only
one. Her voicemail box was FULL. She wasn't picking up her messages. A
couple of times (on 7/2 and then on 7/5) I actually got a person to answer
(her grown son and daughter). I confirmed she was in town, she wasn't
injured, hospitalized or otherwise incapactated. I left messages indicating
it was urgent I hear from her. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

On 7/7 I wrote her a letter (Registered Mail) explaining the situation and
requesting all the paperwork from 2006 and for tax-year 2007 back. She
signed for it; I got confirmation two days ago. Today in the mail we
received all the forms from her. There was a note included that said,
"Sorry, all the paperwork is done. I had a *meltdown* over some things that
happened at home."

Believe me, I understand stress. (It feels like all I've lived with this
year.) And I understand depression all too well. But if this is your
*livelihood* shouldn't you at least have someone return the calls to find
out what your clients need?

I'm ticked off but I don't know if I should be. Mostly I'm just blowing off
steam, I guess. I can tell you this, she won't be doing the 2008 taxes. I
still don't know what her qualifications are. I do know she's inexpensive
which is surely why Dad chose her in the first place over a CPA or a known
tax firm. But hell, anyone can buy a copy of TurboTax.

Jill

Old July 11th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Jill if she made any mistakes she is responsible for any problems it
will take civil court to get the monies

I use turbo tax for my business and personal than I would take it to an
accountant to make sure it was right. Most of the time turbo tax had more
right offs than the accountant could do their self. It cost me 150 a year
to do this 99.99 for turbotax and 50 for the accountant

And yes I would be mad

Your tax person gets a couple of your files in .PDF form and she can easily
3 years back

Old July 11th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Not only that, you can get TaxACT free at http://www.taxact.com/. That's
what I use. I do pay $5.95 to have them send me the CDs, but you can
download it free.

Joy

Old July 11th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

easily go back into her account and pull up the information I
believe turbo stores 3 years back

I haven't gone line-by-line through the 1040 form for 2007, BUT she DIDN'T
SIGN AS THE PREPARER (she did on all prior forms)! She typed in
"Self-prepared" (which is blatantly false)! I told Mom I'm going to take it
to a known tax service and have them do it. No way is she getting stuck
(either way) with a shabbily prepared return because this woman had a
"meltdown". Grrrrr.

Thanks for your input, Matthew.

Jill

Old July 11th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

If this were me, and you are dealing with parents and the tax person, I
would take all the papers to a registered accountant and let them sort it
out. If the person who prepared the stuff did wrong, then they are held
accountable. I feel like you should do this ASAP as if there are penalties,
they can add up in a hurry.
. ..

Old July 11th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Ultimately, the tax payer is responsible for filing forms and paying taxes,
but the preparer should be liable for any late fees or penalties - you might
have to take her to small claims court since it doesn't sound like she is a
member of an association that insures its preparers.

Good luck with Uncle Sam - I can tell you from experience my in-laws had,
you're going to need it!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

I would refile them 2006 and 2007
I would also have HR block look at the past records of what she did and she
if she made any mistake in your favor. If so take it from there

I would contact the irs and inform them of what is going on. I would file
an extension yourself on 2007

Also get ahold of the IRS and make them assign a case manager to your case
which is required I lets you work with one person and not to many hands
inthe cookie jar. Also I would contact an tax attorney and get one that
offers a free consultation upfront and get his/her advice

Also record any expenses, debts, levies or fines that occur and take this
woman to civil court she can be easily proven the person who prepared the
taxes and you should be able to recover any cost associated with her doing
this

She might have signed self prepared but she had to log into the IRS to
electronically send it which there is a electronically record of it.

You can go down to the local IRS office and request a copy of the files or
at least your mom can unless you have power of attorney if that is so than
I would leave in a tax attorney hands

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Matthew wrote:
. ..

Old July 11th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 1:51*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Yes, you should be ticked off. This woman had a responsibility to your
mother.
This is just my experience, but I don't waste money on people who just
hang
out a shingle as a "tax preparer." I had a bad experience with one,
and an even worse one with H&R Block. I use a CPA now. He doesn't
charge that
much more than the "tax lady" did, and he's available year-round.
Something like
what happened to your mom would not have happened. If I slip up on
something, especially since the task of taking care of Dad's taxes in
addition to mine, he calls, and lets me know what I need to provide or
need to do.
Don't forget, if you feel like there's explaining that needs to be
done, that you can
call the IRS. I had to with a situation with Dad's return, and found
them very
helpful and understanding.
Sherry
Old July 11th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I week, no big deal.

Two weeks after April 15 and the work is current and you are on
vacation, acceptable.

Longer than that, especially with an elderly client who has just been
widowed, outrageous.

And I don't care what kind of meltdown she had. When I was in
business, if I couldn't take care of my clients, I had other
accountants who would. I would have covered for them in an emergency
as well. Heck, if I died Charlie knew who to turn my files over to.

Your Mom likely doesn't need a CPA but either get a preparer who comes
highly recommended and has more than a one person office, or look for
an enrolled agent.

Jo

Old July 11th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Good luck with Uncle Sam - I can tell you from experience my in-laws
had, you're going to need it!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Won't necessarily be a problem. You have to remember most of the
time, the IRS isn't a person. Its a great big computer. You just
have to feed the computer what it wants so it doesn't get upset and
notify a person.

The computer's keepers are very grouchy people who get lied to
constantly, so they must be handled nicely.

Note: for the most part you just send the computer the forms it asks
for. It chokes if you try to communicate with it any other way.

The so called 'preparer' should only have signed the return if she was
paid to prepare the return (for 2007). If you didn't pay her, and I
wouldn't have, she could not and should not have signed it as 'paid
preparer'.

Jo