Bloodshot eyes?

Old November 30th 03, 10:49 AM
Singer709

Default Bloodshot eyes?

My big fuzzy male neutered tabby has slightly bloodshot eyes (the
sclera -- I think it's called -- the portion of the eyes surrounding
the eyeball -- the white connective tissue, not the eyeball itself).

He seems perfectly normal, no eye-grooming or irritation, no adverse
behavior, perfect health it seems.

I just happened to spread his eyes open a bit more, looking for a
stray hair. No hair found, just wondering about the bloodshot areas.
Never looked before so I don't know whether this is normal.
Old December 1st 03, 03:54 AM
Singer709

Karen wrote in message . ..
in article , Singer709 at
wrote on 11/30/03 4:49 AM:

My big fuzzy male neutered tabby has slightly bloodshot eyes (the
sclera -- I think it's called -- the portion of the eyes surrounding
the eyeball -- the white connective tissue, not the eyeball itself).

He seems perfectly normal, no eye-grooming or irritation, no adverse
behavior, perfect health it seems.

I just happened to spread his eyes open a bit more, looking for a
stray hair. No hair found, just wondering about the bloodshot areas.
Never looked before so I don't know whether this is normal.

Are they actually pink? Is the inner eyelid coming up a bit? I don't know
about bloodshot, but if it is getting red could have a bit of
conjunctivitis. However, if there was a hair in there maybe it just got
irritated. How on earth do you get a hair out? When I see one on their eye,
I'd like to get it out but am afraid of injuring them, though usually it
does not seem to bother them. They don't even squint or anything, like I
would.

Karen

No, this isn't a pink eye condition. It's actually lots of little red
veins all across the non-eyeball connective tissue, both eyes.
Probably natural.

As far as stray hairs, I don't try to get them on the surface of the
eyeball, but I make them blink which moves the hair to the side or
bottom, then I gently touch it off with the end of a kleenex. No solid
object like a q-tip so there's no problem if the tissue touches the
eye.

I'm certain a cat can feel the hair on the eyeball and it's somewhat
bothersome, like it is to humans.
Old December 1st 03, 03:54 AM
Singer709

Karen wrote in message . ..