My Cats, the Cattery and the Guilt!!!

Old April 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
rangitotogirl

Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).

Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!

My cat was different for a little while after going to a cattery. For the
first 48 hours after she got home she would wander around the house and meow
lots. Sometimes she was very cuddly and affectionate. Other times she was
quite aloof.

I stopped putting her in a cattery several years back when she lost
condition. We had put three cats in and while the other two were okay,
Mindy was miserable. She hissed at the owners and wouldn't let them near
her and looked like she had spent the time pining away.

From then on I left her at home with plenty of food and water and with
someone to keep an eye on her. She was much happier in her own environment.

I was in a real bind before Christmas when we were planning our holiday.
Her health deteriorated in November and I knew there was no way I could
leave her at home. I was also concerned that putting her in a cattery would
finish her off. We booked her into a cattery in the same town as we were
going on holiday as she was a great traveller and it would allow us to make
frequent visits. As her health declined I seriously considered cancelling
the trip. Mindy's health deteriorated to the point that she stopped eating
just a few days before hand and as she had no reserves left I really had no
option but to have her put down so I never had to make the final decision
about the cattery.

I think most cats respond differently. On our next trip we're taking Tigga
back to the breeder who also has a small Bengal cattery. He's too young and
unpredictable to leave at home. Caspa will stay behind with her food and
water and someone to watch out for her. Tigga demands company, Caspa
couldn't care. She's a very independent cat who would much rather spend 90%
of the time outside even though she has full access to the great indoors.
She really gives the impression she couldn't care whether we were around or
not. Given her nature the cattery environment wouldn't really work for
her.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
M.C. Mullen

"Gary" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi all,
|
| I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
| holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
| have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
| putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
|
| I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
| still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
| the guilt!)
|
| Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
| asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
|
| Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
| 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
|
| Ta Claire :S
|
| (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Don't worry - they will not only be all right but well looked after and
safe.
And yes, they will know you and probably even like you more afterwards
because they think you've come to their rescue.
Toms worst time in the cattery was the ride in the car there and back. He
absolutely hated it.

Carola

Old April 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
M.C. Mullen

Old April 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
youKnowme

You should be throughly ashamed of yourself.

(only joking, of course)

.....but make sure the place you are putting your cats is sound. Ask
yourself, "would i want to stay here myself?"

Old April 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
Victor Martinez

When we go on vacation we have a pet sitter come to the house twice a
day. She feeds the cats, plays with them, and cleans the boxes. She also
puts the mail and newspapers in and takes the garbage out.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Ivor Jones

"youKnowme" wrote in message
You should be throughly ashamed of yourself.

(only joking, of course)

....but make sure the place you are putting your cats is sound. Ask
yourself, "would i want to stay here myself?"

At the shelter I volunteer at, the answer is *definitely* ..! Warm, well
fed, plenty of fuss from the visitors, I'd move in tomorrow..!

Meow..!

Ivor