Baytril otic

Old November 6th 04, 01:11 AM
teri

Default Baytril otic

Jewel has an ear infection - bacterial and yeast. She has been
shaking her head quite a bit and I have been cleaning her ears out
every few days before having the ear smear diagnose the infection.
Since starting on the Baytril otic gtts Wednesday evening she is
shaking her head much much more frequently even than before. Not just
after the drops, but 24 hours a day. Her ears don't particularly seem
to be inflamed, maybe a bit pink from me holding on to them and
putting the drops in twice a day and cleaning them out each time, and
she is not scratching them at all, just the head shaking. Is this to
be expected when drops are given? The Baytril are very thick and
oily, they don't exactly go down the little feline ear canal easily.
teri
Old November 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Phil P.

"teri" wrote in message

Jewel has an ear infection - bacterial and yeast. She has been
shaking her head quite a bit and I have been cleaning her ears out
every few days before having the ear smear diagnose the infection.
Since starting on the Baytril otic gtts Wednesday evening she is
shaking her head much much more frequently even than before. Not just
after the drops, but 24 hours a day.

Does she swallow or cough or make any sounds after you put the drops in her
ears? If she does - stop the drops and call your vet - she might have a
perforated or ruptured eardrum. The eardrum is a natural barrier between
the external and middle ear. So, if the eardrum is ruptured or perforated
around the edges (where you can't see with an otoscope) the drops will flow
through the eardrum, to the middle ear, down the auditory tube and into the
back of the throat. If she had a recent URI, the infection could have
spread to the ear by the same route - just in the opposite direction.

Her ears don't particularly seem
to be inflamed, maybe a bit pink from me holding on to them and
putting the drops in twice a day and cleaning them out each time,

You might want to give her ears a rest for a few days - - the cleaning
action itself and moisture can irritate the lining of the ear canal - which
will stimulate even more wax production. Some cleaning and flushing
solutions can irritate the lining, too, that will also produce more wax.

Phil.