attack of the kitten

Old May 27th 04, 06:00 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, "Rach"
wrote:

Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rach

Off hand, I'd say forever. The night before last, TuTu was on my lap
having her comb and brush session. Without warning she attacked my
right arm -- five claw marks. She is 7 years old and hasn't done this
in a long time. Naturally, I screamed and dumped her. I promised her
than and there if she ever does this again she is history. She has
been as sweet as sugar ever since.
Old May 28th 04, 02:24 AM
~*Connie*~

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going

through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rach

If you don't teach him what is acceptable now, you never will be able to.
Do not let him get away with anything no matter how cute it is now, cause
when he's 10lbs of cat, it wont be cute at all.

Old May 28th 04, 12:13 PM
Wendy

"Mary" wrote in message

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going

through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to

hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many

times
here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately

will
help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so

would get the vet to do it.

---

Was just thinking it lasts as long as you put up with it. Like you said it's
time for the "no", "ow" and if that doesn't work, time outs.

If you can see well enough to trim those teeny, tiny claws the sooner the
better. I only had to wrap Boots in a small towel once or twice before he
decided to cooperate for his clippings. It's always best to attempt it
during a time they are relatively laid back.

Old May 30th 04, 06:10 AM
Tiners

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Rach ) said,
Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going

through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to

hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Ten or fifteen years.

Okay, kidding. In my experience, it tapers off after the kitten hits
six months or so in age.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Or gets neutered and becomes fat and lazy which is what happen to our Male..
sometimes he still attacks us but it's usually a paw swipe and that's it.

Tina

--
-----------
Just when I manage to convince

Old May 31st 04, 01:43 AM
Ruby Tuesday

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going

through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rach

My Siamese is almost one year old, and is far less feisty these days. When
he was younger he liked to play with me dangling a Cat Dancer. That got rid
of some of his feistiness.

- Ruby Tuesday

Old May 31st 04, 09:03 PM
Dennis Carr

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, Rach wrote:

Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post

Oh, I know this stage. The stage where if you're wearing shorts, the cat
sees the back of your leg and thinks "Pouncy toy!". Ouch.

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

For the entire life of the cat, though the cat will calm after a time. You
can clip the claws or use Softclaws to abate some of the damage.
(Declawing, as I am sure you're aware, is cruel to the cat.)

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.