please help me.

Old September 11th 04, 01:51 AM
kitznegari thinks it has wings

Default please help me.

i am really worried about my big beautiful cat, toby. lately he's been
extremely lethargic and distant. all he does is sleep. yes, i know cat
personalities, but this is serious. i NEVER see him move around or act
interested in ANYTHING anymore, where he used to rub on people and everything.
his fur is also very, very rough and shaggy... it also appears to me that he's
had a serious drop in weight... and another very unusual thing... he sleeps in
the bathtub. he never used to do that and i don't understand what it means.
he's also had some bathroom accidents lately and has been vomiting.

earlier this year we got a kitten that is just a maniac and i don't know if
this might have had something to do with it. the kitten and toby played
destructively and manicly for the first few months, and even up until about a
month and a half and ago... but now toby's personality has just vanished. all
he does is sit and stare. if the kitten comes near him he growls. it's very
sad to watch.

when we first got him he was a stray that we took in... the lady that found him
made sure he had his shots and the vet estimated that he was probably three
years old. this was about 2 years ago now. so these symptoms which remind me
of my nana's cat who was HORRIBLY old when he finally let go aren't the same
unless the vet was wrong about his age.

i just don't know what to do and as a single mother i really don't have the
means to take him to the vet. but i'm scared. this has been going on for a
while now and i don't know what to do.

can anyone make a guess as to what this is about? is it psychological? age?
is there some well known cat disease that sounds like this?

help!

- k i t z -
can't sleep, the maitre d will bite me...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/kitznegari
Old September 11th 04, 06:19 AM
Tiger Girl

The rought coat, mood changes, weight changes, vomiting - could be a
thyroid problem if he's an older cat but the vet probably estimated
his age from his teeth & he's pretty young to be having thyroid
problems.

As a former Staving Student I understand how hard it is with the vet
bills, but perhaps you have a sliding scale clinic in your area??
Definitely you'd want to take this one to the vet. No sense in letting
him waste away if it's something that can be fixed (and you don't know
until you know...)