Sore on hind leg and Tresaderm

Old June 6th 05, 11:19 PM

Default Sore on hind leg and Tresaderm

My mom's cat has a recurring round sore on her right hind leg. It started
about 7 months ago and we took her to the vet. He tested for roundworm
(negative), and treated her with Tresaderm once a day plus an anti-
inflammatory pill (very small dosage) which we crushed into powdered form
and placed in her food. After two weeks, the sore cleared up. At that
time she also had a sore at the lower base of her right ear. That was
treated with Tresaderm, too and it cleared up.

The vet suspects allergies, especially to the carpet which must be loaded
with mites. She doesn't have any fleas. He also thinks she could be
depressed and is bored so she licks the same area.

Anyway, the sores on both the leg and ear reappeared about two months ago,
so I gave her the Tresaderm again, and again it cleared up in two weeks.

Yesterday, I went over to visit and noticed the cat licking her right hind
leg again. Sure enough, I looked at it and saw a small round red spot with
hair missing. Should I go back to the Tresaderm, let the vet give her a
blood test, or try some other solution?
Old June 7th 05, 12:04 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 06:19:57p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

First off, allergies are no fun. I have a cat with severe allergies
and he gets downright miserable and mean when he has a flare-up.
Can't say as I blame him one bit. He test strong positive for
allergies to dust mites, in addition to other allergies including
cat dander, mold, many pollens, etc. I had my carpets cleaned
professionally recently and I think its made a difference. Though,
he also gets regular steroid shots (anti-inflammatory) for relief.
Up until this spring I cleaned the carpets myself, but now I see
I'll have to add at least yearly professional cleaning to keep dust
mites under control. The other option is removing all carpeting.

With environmental allergies that are impossible to completely
elliminate, the only option really is to just keep the house as
clean as possible, paying close attention to the areas that
accumulate allergens that you can't even see. Keeping windows
closed helps too. Have the air ducts cleaned regularly (yearly
seems enough to me)

I took my cat to a vet. dermatologist to find out his allergens,
and he's now on allergy shots. Here's hoping it works!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields