Scratching and Biting

Old March 6th 04, 06:59 PM
Ruby Tuesday

Default Scratching and Biting

My 9-month old Siamese kitten has a tendency to bite and scratch me. I
wonder if this is common to the species, and if it will ever end. I don't
recall this happening with any other cats I have ever owned, but that was
over a decade ago.

I keep his food and water constantly replenished, he has just about every
toy imaginable, and I am diligent in giving him affection. Any responses or
suggestions, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ruby Tuesday

Old March 6th 04, 10:06 PM
AK

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
My 9-month old Siamese kitten has a tendency to bite and scratch me. I
wonder if this is common to the species, and if it will ever end. I don't
recall this happening with any other cats I have ever owned, but that was
over a decade ago.

I keep his food and water constantly replenished, he has just about every
toy imaginable, and I am diligent in giving him affection. Any responses

or
suggestions, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ruby Tuesday

My bengal (another oriental breed) lies in ambush and he will jump out in
killer cat mode, and I definitely have problems walking upstairs with him
going into attack mode. He is easily distracted with a toy, but to try and
get him out of it I have taken to using a water pistol. As you may know
Bengals actually do like water so he doesn't run off but it does make him
stop in his tracks if only to clean the water off himself!

Old March 7th 04, 02:54 AM
Kalyahna

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
My 9-month old Siamese kitten has a tendency to bite and scratch me. I
wonder if this is common to the species, and if it will ever end. I don't
recall this happening with any other cats I have ever owned, but that was
over a decade ago.

I keep his food and water constantly replenished, he has just about every
toy imaginable, and I am diligent in giving him affection. Any responses

or
suggestions, anyone?

Does he bite while playing, or is it random sneak-attack-biting?
No-discernible-reason scratching and biting is harder to deal with, but it
can be dealt with as well.

If he's play-biting, make sure that first and foremost you're -never-
playing with him with your hands. Hands are for petting and giving food and
occasional treats, but not for playing. If he bites while you're trying to
pet him nicely, keep a stuffed toy handy to give him when he starts biting.

Is he getting overstimulated and then biting? Is he the sort of cat that
will tolerate three full body pets before sort of freaking out? If that
sounds about right, then learn his limits and work to expand them. Watch for
his signs that he's getting ready to bite. Head turned slightly, ears back,
body tense. Once the signs start, stop petting him. Let him choose what to
do, whether it's staying on your lap or wandering off. Just no more biting
or scratching.
If he follows you around and demands attention only to bite once he gets it,
promptly deposit him on the floor and ignore him. Cats -can- learn what "no"
means.

If he's randomly biting, he may need more extensive play sessions with a
distance toy like a Cat Dancer or even simple yarn or string. Something
that'll keep him busy a while and tire him out. If you have no other cats,
he may need a friend.

It may sound silly, but whenever he bites, make a high-pitched EEP! noise.
It should startle him and give you a second to get your bits away from his
teeth, and perhaps give him that stuffed toy with which he can appropriately
and safely wrestle.

Good luck!

Old March 7th 04, 05:49 AM
rose ricciuto

I've never had a problem with my Siamese biting or scratching but I have
a rescued feral tabby and white who does. I just tell him lovingly to be
"A good boy." and he is. You can tell by his eyes and ears he really
doesn't want to be good but he is. Same thing works when he wants to
attack our other cats.

Old March 7th 04, 09:06 AM
Ruby Tuesday

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
My 9-month old Siamese kitten has a tendency to bite and scratch me. I
wonder if this is common to the species, and if it will ever end. I

don't
recall this happening with any other cats I have ever owned, but that

was
over a decade ago.

I keep his food and water constantly replenished, he has just about

every
toy imaginable, and I am diligent in giving him affection. Any

or
suggestions, anyone?

Does he bite while playing, or is it random sneak-attack-biting?
No-discernible-reason scratching and biting is harder to deal with, but it
can be dealt with as well.

This may sound silly, but he starts when I wake up and then go to the
kitchen. On my way there, he tries to hang onto my legs and to scratch and
bite. I have to walk dicey to make my way there.

Then, once I'm sitting at the table, he attacks my feet. It's usually at
this time of day when he's full of energy. I've gotten into the habit of
keeping my feet above ground while eating, somehow. He digs deep - I'm glad
he's got all his shots, because usually he makes me bleed when he gets me.
I don't hit him - maybe I should spray water at him, but I'm too groggy at
that time...

help!

And thanks for the suggestions otherwise - I should have told you this habit
before.

- Ruby Tuesday

Old March 8th 04, 03:43 PM
Willows

Then, once I'm sitting at the table, he attacks my feet. It's usually at
this time of day when he's full of energy. I've gotten into the habit of
keeping my feet above ground while eating, somehow. He digs deep - I'm glad
he's got all his shots, because usually he makes me bleed when he gets me.

Sounds to me like an only cat who just is trying to play with you as he
would with another cat. He gets excited when you wake up for him this
means play time. You need to comunicate with him in cat talk that he's
hurting you. Ever hear the sound a kitten makes when a litter mate is
playing to rough? Its more of a screech, it should get the message if
you do that when ever he's to rough. Maybe getting him a real play mate
would help too.