Onyx: A Mouse a Day

Old April 12th 04, 12:11 AM
Susan Zeigler

Default Onyx: A Mouse a Day

SSPPPRRRRROOOOOIIIINNNGG!

The large black mouse sails across the room to rest on the ground. Still
for a few moments, it suddenly stirs. After a momentary wobble,
stillness again.

Laying as flat as a cat can, all that can be seen are two huge gold eyes
on the face whose chin presses against the ground between tremendous
forepaws. The panther . . . in waiting.

The mouse stirs again. This time slowly moving away. Eyes follow the
movement while the cat remains still.

see kitty
watching his monster mouse
waiting
patiently
for it to run away
like it always does

see kitty
move only his eyes
judging the distance
ever calculating the RIGHT moment to pounce
just when the mouse isn't expecting it

see kitty
raise his head with a jerk
as the mouse
runs suddenly
knowing it is trying to hide
behind that stack of books
where he can't see it

see kitty
slowly raise one paw
then the other
as he stalks
smoothly
gracefully
sliding across the carpet
'til the mouse
is in his sight again

see kitty
stop
and wait
and wait

see kitty
leap
and fly
and land
front paws grabbing the mouse
and holding on

see kitty
shake his head
displaying his prey
and saunter over
proudly dropping it at susan's feet
"look what I caught!"

see kitty
run across the room
to wait
and wait
and wait

The mouse lies still on the ground. Susan, distracted by the television,
has forgotten about it. A loud MEEOOOOWWWWWW echoes through the living
room, then another. The panther has grown restless. Impatiently, he
stands up and walks the distance from his hiding place to the couch.
Pushing and pushing his head against Susan's hand, large teeth finally
nip ever so gently. A slight reminder that she has forgotten yet again
to make the mouse move.

see kitty
run back across the room
to wait

see susan
wind up the loose string
and cast the rod

--

In loving memory of Onyx, my sleek gold-eyed panther.
Who ALWAYS knew it was really my hand that rocked the mouse.

-Susan
--

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands
of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

Copyright © 2004 Susan E. Zeigler
All Rights Reserved

Old April 12th 04, 01:51 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Susan Zeigler at
wrote on 4/11/04 6:11 PM:

[...]

Awww. Great story. A loving tribute.

Karen

Old April 12th 04, 04:58 AM
Marina

"Susan Zeigler" wrote

gently snipped

In loving memory of Onyx, my sleek gold-eyed panther.
Who ALWAYS knew it was really my hand that rocked the mouse.
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

What a wonderful tribute to an obviously well-loved and smart cat.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old April 12th 04, 10:24 AM
Duke of URL

"Susan Zeigler" wrote in message

SSPPPRRRRROOOOOIIIINNNGG!
The large black mouse sails across the room to rest on the ground. Still
for a few moments, it suddenly stirs. After a momentary wobble,
stillness again.

[...]
In loving memory of Onyx, my sleek gold-eyed panther.
Who ALWAYS knew it was really my hand that rocked the mouse.
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

Susan, that was excellent. Thank you.
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses

Old April 12th 04, 01:17 PM
lrulan

Yes, I truly enjoyed reading about Onyx and his mouse adventures.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
Lovely poem, Susan!
Sounds like Onyx was quite the smart cat, too.
Christine

Old April 12th 04, 02:04 PM
polonca12000

Hugs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Susan Zeigler" wrote in message
SSPPPRRRRROOOOOIIIINNNGG!

The large black mouse sails across the room to rest on the ground. Still
for a few moments, it suddenly stirs. After a momentary wobble,
stillness again.

Laying as flat as a cat can, all that can be seen are two huge gold eyes
on the face whose chin presses against the ground between tremendous
forepaws. The panther . . . in waiting.

snip

Panic Mouse Mischief Cat anecdotes 1 January 15th 04 04:44 AM
the wind-up mouse Brenda Cat anecdotes 2 November 21st 03 05:28 AM
B & C - Their first Mouse! Bev Cat anecdotes 12 November 2nd 03 05:25 AM
Panic mouse Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 September 28th 03 03:03 PM
Mouse 2, Bruiser 0 John Biltz Cat anecdotes 14 August 29th 03 12:51 AM