Katrina Recovery Update

Old March 21st 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Katrina Recovery Update

For those of you following my daughter's Katrina saga....

I have some *VERY* good news.

First, Erin and Greg finished putting on the new roof last weekend (they did
it *BY THEMSELVES*). They've also finished replacing all the studs inside
the house that were damaged (and while they were at it they rearranged the
floor plan to open the house up by putting a bar between the living room and
kitchen instead of a wall, and taking down the wall that created the hall).

Then they got a nice surprise - they heard last Friday that an out-of-state
branch of their church is sending a "mission team" to help Katrina victims
rebuild. They arrived today at Erin's house. The team includes a licensed
electrician and a licensed plumber and they were able to purchase all
materials (including bathtub, sinks and toilets) at out of state at cost
(which will save Erin and Greg a bundle since prices for building supplies
along the gulf coast have sky-rocketed). This week they will finish
rewiring the entire house, lay all the pipes and plumbing (they enlarged the
bathroom so the placement of the tub was moved), and float the dry wall.
They estimate they will be done with all this by the end of this week. This
will put them *WAY* ahead of the schedule they'd planned!

After that Erin and Greg will have to apply the wall and ceiling plaster and
paint all walls and ceilings, hang their kitchen cabinets, put down the
flooring (they're going with ceramic tile, I think), and start replacing
essential furniture (beds and table and chairs). By then the house should
at least be far enough along for them to move back in - they'll just have
trimwork and yardwork after that.

Erin took pictures of the new roof last Saturday and she'll be sending them,
along with pictures of the result of the work they'll be doing this week, in
a week or two and I'll post them as part of the pictorial journal we're
keeping online.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 21st 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Oh, forgot to add that they will have to replace all the windows before
move-in also. This project was almost like building an entire house from
scratch!!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 21st 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 08:04:01p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Oh, forgot to add that they will have to replace all the windows
before move-in also. This project was almost like building an
entire house from scratch!!!

Yeesh, you're right about that! Kudos to them and their hard work. I
bet it'll be their dream home when they're finished!

I heard on the news that FEMA realized they made mistakes with the
payments to a lot of people and are now demanding re-payment.
Figures.

--
Cheryl
Old March 21st 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 20 Mar 2006 08:04:01p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Oh, forgot to add that they will have to replace all the windows
before move-in also. This project was almost like building an
entire house from scratch!!!

Yeesh, you're right about that! Kudos to them and their hard work. I
bet it'll be their dream home when they're finished!

I heard on the news that FEMA realized they made mistakes with the
payments to a lot of people and are now demanding re-payment.
Figures.

Yeah, the news said about 3,500 people recieved payments that they shouldn't
have totalling about $2 million in FEMA funds. I'm thinking it was probably
mostly after Rita. FEMA sent me a form to fill out for assistance since I
live in the area affected by Rita, but since we didn't have any damage
besides broken trees (and our French doors and the brick work between them
that came loose when we pulled down the boards we put up to protect the
glass), we didn't file. I'm sure a lot of people filled out the forms
thinking that they'd never be found out. They have to pay it back (they're
allowed to pay in installments), and if they take too long to do so will
have to pay interest on the money. I think they should pay the interest
anyway since they've had the use of my tax dollars for no good reason!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl

Old March 21st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wow, your daughter and SIL are very resourceful. Sounds like they are on the
way to full recovery. Congrats to them and to you for raising such a good
daughter. You're very lucky and so are they.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old March 21st 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wonderful news! But that's one heck of a way to remodel your house!!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old March 21st 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Soooo happy to hear the good news!

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 21st 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hooray, I'm glad to hear they're getting expert help with the
complicated stuff like plumbing and wiring! It's good to hear about
lives getting put back together after that horrendous mess.

Melissa

Old March 21st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
I have some *VERY* good news.

I'm glad to hear things are looking better!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he