'Temptations' anti-hairball snacks?

Old August 6th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default 'Temptations' anti-hairball snacks?

"KenK" wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
"cshenk" wrote in
:

As we started, I will try to help but do not use this method in any
deliberate manner. I was given the impression that a little more
was needed but if the average on a search shows 1 TS, use that then
and ignore me.

I'll stay with 1 tsp if it works; I can always increase if it
doesn't.

Well, for four or five days of pumpkin, no hairballs. I was getting
them almost daily. Then last night something new - instead of a small
patch of hair in a puddle of thin vomit I got a big moist hairball
all by itself. Didn't see it come out since it must have done so
quietly as I was reading or sleeping in another room. Evidently the
pumpkin had something to do with this but I don't know what. It's a
big improvement for me, but I don't know about Emily.

Well that beats what happened to my Meggie....Her's was so big the vet
thought it was a tumor.....She operated on Meggie with the
understanding that if it had metastasized, she would put her
down......After opening up her abdomen, she found Meggie's stomach was
huge and filling her whole abdomen. So, they opened up her stomach to
find a huge hairball. "The biggest one I have ever found" said the
vet. So they took it out, and Meggie has been fine ever since...(Two
years now) But the whole thing cost me over $800.......:^)

I hope at least they gave you that expensive hairball as a remembrance.

Emily got plugged up with hair and couldn't hold down her food many years
ago but it came out ok at the vet with an enema (IIRC) and laxative. My
introduction to Laxatone.

Emily went four days with pumpkin and without a hairball but now two in a
row. The one previously described yesterday and the usual vomit and small
amount of hair today. sigh I'm going to increase her to two teaspoons of
pumpkin, if she'll eat it. If that doesn't do it I give up. Evidently
nothing works with her. I believe I've tried everything she'll tolerate.
sigh Maybe a diet change would do it but I had so much trouble with
diarrhea and soft BMs before I switched her to canned Wellness I hesitate
to experiment again. Poor Emily!

Well, I am not a vet, and I tend to take the direct approach.....I would
brush the hell out of her, and perhaps even use one of these razor-type
devices that remove much of the excess hair. If there is nothing for her to
ingest, then she can't get any hairballs. If she is an inside cat, then you
can just keep the house, or some part of the house nice and warm for her,
and she won't need any hair at all.......

Old August 6th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
"cshenk" wrote in
:

[...]

remembrance. g

[...]

Good thinking! Rather obvious but it hadn't occured to me.

I'll check out grooming tools. Someone else mentioned a grooming glove.
I'm going to Walmart tomorrow - I'll see what they have. Also, perhaps
instead of grooming her just at noon, I'll groom her also in the morning
and evening; she enjoys it so that shouldn't be a problem. Trouble is,
doesn't seem to take much hair to set off her hairball/vomit alarm
sequence. Sometimes I can't even see any hair, most of the time there is
very little, just a very thin patch the size of a quarter, if that.

Old August 25th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tivoglio

On Aug 1, 8:47*am, KenK wrote:
Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks? I've
unsuccessfully tried everything else I'm aware of or heard about here
(anti-hairball food I've tried gives her diarrhea). BM problems? Other
problems? I'm going to try Google later this morning.

TIA

Ken, I'm new to this group, but I have a longhaired Himalayan who
sheds enough hair in the summer that you could knit another cat out of
it. I brush him twice a day and use a Furminator, but what I haven't
seen in all the replies is the use of a gel to help. Some websites
said that a dollop of Vaseline works, but I was reluctant to use that.
Instead, I bought a tube of Hartz Hairball Remedy Plus (looks a little
like Vaseline in a toothpaste-type tube) for about four bucks. It's
salmon-flavored, so my cat licks it off his paw when I use it - about
twice a week. He's on his second tube, and I don't know how much it
helps, but it sure didn't hurt.
Tom