Claw Clipping

Old January 9th 04, 11:51 PM
.oO rach Oo.

Default Claw Clipping

I was just wondering what your opinion is on the best tool to clip a cat's
claws. Would you use a nail clipper specifically for cats or one for humans?
I've seen both used but since I will be starting to do this in the near
future (the vet showed us how today) I want to make sure the best and most
comfortable method is used.

TIA

--
rach

"Hipsters - UNITE!"

Old January 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I've used both & personally find the ones for humans easier to use.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

m...

Old January 10th 04, 03:44 AM
Orchid

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:51:01 -0500, ".oO rach Oo."
wrote:

I was just wondering what your opinion is on the best tool to clip a cat's
claws. Would you use a nail clipper specifically for cats or one for humans?
I've seen both used but since I will be starting to do this in the near
future (the vet showed us how today) I want to make sure the best and most
comfortable method is used.

You want the scissor-style clipper designed for cats/small
dogs. Not the guillotine clippers. The scissor style are safer, and
unlike human clippers they don't have as much of a chance of
crushing/splitting the new sheaths under the old.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old January 10th 04, 04:59 AM
Cheryl

Orchid wrote in on 09 Jan
2004:

You want the scissor-style clipper designed for cats/small
dogs. Not the guillotine clippers. The scissor style are safer, and
unlike human clippers they don't have as much of a chance of
crushing/splitting the new sheaths under the old.

Have you a pic of the type you recommend? The one I use is scissor-like
but with a guard outside of the cutting blades so you can't put too much of
the claw into it and it only allows cutting off the point. And the scissor
blades are rounded and thick for leverage.

--
Cheryl

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.
Come here Squishy. Ow. Bad Squishy.
- Dori

Old January 10th 04, 06:07 AM
Jon C

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping...%5F19480.shtml

http://tinyurl.com/ytcjb

I have one of these, it works great. I tried the human clippers once.. it
didn't work too well, and it was hard to get enough of the claw into the
clippers.

Jon

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Orchid wrote in on 09 Jan
2004:

Old January 10th 04, 06:07 AM
Jon C

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping...%5F19480.shtml

http://tinyurl.com/ytcjb

I have one of these, it works great. I tried the human clippers once.. it
didn't work too well, and it was hard to get enough of the claw into the
clippers.

Jon

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Orchid wrote in on 09 Jan
2004:

Old January 10th 04, 08:37 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:51:01 -0500, .oO rach Oo. wrote:

I was just wondering what your opinion is on the best tool to clip a cat's
claws. Would you use a nail clipper specifically for cats or one for humans?

One for humans. About a buck or so at your local drug store. Just be
careful about hitting the quick (IE, don't), and have some styptic in case
you do.

I've seen both used but since I will be starting to do this in the near
future (the vet showed us how today) I want to make sure the best and
most comfortable method is used.

Well... that's up to the cat in the end. Some cats cooperate and will be
more than happy to let you clip their claws, others will fight you all the
way. I've seen both, but if you're on a budget, just get the human nail
clippers.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.