Hitting My Cats in the Face

Old March 20th 04, 02:55 AM
GovtLawyer

Default Hitting My Cats in the Face

OK, now that I've gotten your attention, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Mickey & Daisy, 14 month old Snowshoe Siamese brother and sister love to play
with one special toy. I bought a bag of 4 small colored glittery rolled up
aluminum or mylar balls. They love for me to throw them around, and they bat
them all over the house all day and night. Sometimes Mickey carries one in his
mouth and brings it to me in the morning, while I'm still sleeping, wakes me up
and has me throw them. He actually plays fetch. Sometimes they lose them, and
I look all over the house in every conceivable corner or crack, and they
disappear for two or three days. Then, as if by magic, I'll see three or all
four of them together in the middle of the floor. They also have a crunchy
sound so I'll crunch them in my hand and when I do, Mickey & Daisy run to the
top of the cat tree. Mickey practically gets up there in one leap. Once
there, I toss the ball to them and they catch it or bat it away in mid flight.
We can play this game for an hour.

Here's where the hitting in the face comes in. Sometimes they do nothing as I
toss it to them. They anxiously await it, but they let it hit them square in
the face. It cracks me up, but it has gotten me to wondering about their
eyesight, and the eyesight of cats in general. I know cats have weird
eyesight. For example, I'll put a treat right in front of them, by their feet,
and they don't see it. I put it in my hand and they don't see it. However, if
I hold it away and come closer with it they follow it and can take it from my
hand. Perhaps it is by smell that they find small objects close to them. Yet,
they can see me make the smallest movement of my hand underneath the covers,
and they leap at the movement. They also have a weird thing in which they try
to grab at something, and thrust out their front legs and paws, and miss the
object by several inches. Almost spastic like, like they weren't coordinated.
It is as if they have a problem with depth perception, but more on things close
to them.

I know they see well at distances, and they can follow a laser spot all over
the house. They also follow a hair or piece of dust as it drifts threw air
currents. But, they let the mylar ball hit them in the face. Very unusual.
Is this a Mickey & Daisy brother and sister phenomena, or a feline thing.

If you follow this link, it will take you to a photo of Mickey sitting on the
top of the cat tree, and locked in on the mylar ball as it sails above his
head.

http://hometown.aol.com/razdindabx/m...age/index.html
Old March 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Annie Wxill

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
.... If you follow this link, it will take you to a photo of Mickey
sitting on the
top of the cat tree, and locked in on the mylar ball as it sails above his
head.

http://hometown.aol.com/razdindabx/m...age/index.html

Great photo. I think cats notice movement, but maybe they are concentrating
on something else when the ball hits them in the face. It shows you have a
good aim, though.
Annie

Old March 20th 04, 03:51 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , GovtLawyer at
wrote on 3/19/04 8:55 PM:

[...]

Mine do the watch it let it hit them when they are no longer in "high play"
mode. Still intersted enough to watch but don't really react. I don't think
anything is wrong. Close up vision isn't great (unless the object is a tiny
insect) but that's normal too I think. I know that Grant finds his pompoms
by smell sometimes. It's funny because they always eventually wind up in a
dry food dish.

Karen

Old March 20th 04, 03:51 PM
GovtLawyer

It's funny because they always eventually wind up in a
dry food dish.

Sometimes M7 D's toys end up in the dry food, sometimes floating in their bowl
of water. Aren't cats awesome?

Old March 20th 04, 09:15 PM
Hailey

Hi ya
Don't know a thing about kitty eyesight, just wanted to say these are
Tucker's fave toys as well. I buy him a new bag of em, or like at Christmas
I bought them both a very large one (about 1 1/2 ince diameter) and so they
are all over the house. Once a day I do clean them up LOL But the next AM
there are 3 or 4 again. Tucker comes instantly when I scrunch one of those.
James couldn't care any less about them at all LOL His thing is the catnip
stuffies.

Funny how different cats are, isn't it?

Your kitty is ADORABLE! and what a great pic Thanks for sharing!

Hailey

Old March 20th 04, 09:20 PM
Mary

"Hailey" wrote in message
Hi ya
Don't know a thing about kitty eyesight, just wanted to say these

are
Tucker's fave toys as well. I buy him a new bag of em, or like at

Christmas
I bought them both a very large one (about 1 1/2 ince diameter) and

so they
are all over the house. Once a day I do clean them up LOL But the

next AM
there are 3 or 4 again. Tucker comes instantly when I scrunch one of

those.
James couldn't care any less about them at all LOL His thing is the

catnip
stuffies.

Speaking of which, have you seen these? My cats go wild over them,
especially the ones that are called "Cracklers," because they have
both catnip and what FatCat calls "crinkle factor!

http://www.fatcats.com/html_site/hhome.shtml