URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

Old February 9th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.

DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.

SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.

THANK YOU(

Old February 9th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...
LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.

SHE HAD DAMNED WELL BETTER APOLOGIZE!!!!!! Did you tell her that her
apologies are cold comfort to Lilly's medical condition???

DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

Oh, my God, Sheelagh! I'm not from the UK, so I can't answer your question
about the laws, but at this point, I don't understand how whether or not the
vet is legally required to have someone covering is connected to taking her
to another vet. I am furious for you beyond words that a vet hospital would
have had a situation where no one was present to care for the animals, even
if the animals were all perfectly healthy and just being boarded. I wonder
if anyone on this group can recommend another place, although it may be too
stressful for Lilly to be moved at this point, especially considering that
the snow is so bad that people are having trouble getting to work.

I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.

If Lilly needs to be operated on ASAP, make it happen. Tell the new vet
upfront what happened at the other place and that under the circumstances
that you personally (or your husband or one of your children) would like to
personally be at her side (even 24 hours a day) at the vet hospital during
her recovery from surgery until you feel confident she is stable and on the
road to recovery. Promise that you will stay out of the staff's way. Yes, I
am sure that is totally going against "office policy" but I can tell you
that as a medical professional (not a vet), if I were a vet, I would permit
this under the circumstances, with the understanding that you would remove
yourself to the waiting room in the case of an emergency.

SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.

THANK YOU(

I am in tears again, over a cat I know only from a newsgroup. Right now, do
whatever you can to get Lilly better. Worry about lawsuits later. Purrs for
you and Lilly. Please keep posting updates.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 9th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 9 Feb, 13:00, "cindys" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

As we correspond, Lilly is having the ovariohysterectomy that she so
desperately needs. I would never dream of suing them whilst this is
going on, I was more interested in knowing my rights regarding
removing her from this particular vets care.
As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
life.
What I needed to k ow was, can I take her to another vet during
treatment, because it appears that there is NO NIGHT COVER@ all, & if
she has other problems, I want reassurance that Lilly will never be
put through this again-Hence, Does she have to have cover by law ,or
can she come and go as she pleases?
I think that is terrible if it is the case.
No sod the lawsuits Cindy, it's my baby I am worried about.
I aplogogize if I didn't make that clear...
Please don't cry, there are too many tears being shed over a careless
vet here...although I thank you for the sentiment.
Someone has pointed out that she might have had a stoke, hence the
drooling??
I wondered if any one has any other theories?
Thank you for your kind sentiments Cindy & I will keep you informed as
soon as I hear it.
IF she should have had cover & someone there to watch over the
animals, then I do intend to make sure that no one else ever suffers
like Lilly & our family have, but that would be far off from now.
It's Lilly's rights that are important here.
I didn't really get the chance to move her, because by the time the
vet called me, she was in surgery opening her up....
I was, & still am in shock(
actually, you have helped me unknowingly- I intend to ring the cat
protection League , they will know & also have a local branch only a
few miles away which is handy.
I feel utterly disgusted & heart sick too.
More as I hear it. Thank Cindy!!
S.

Old February 9th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...

As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
life.

----------
I don't know how things work in the UK, but here in the USA, most practices
seem to have several doctors, not just one, and they cover for each other
(rural areas may be an exception). If your vet had a partner, the partner
could have been tending to the patients while your vet was dealing with her
own sick animals. The practice where I take my cats is very large (there are
probably at least a dozen different vets in the practice). My animals see
the same one all the time, but if an animal needs immediate attention on our
vet's day off, there is another vet always available. We ended up having our
dog euthanized on a Wednesday, which was our doctor's day off. Our dog was
in such bad shape that we were just waiting for the practice to open. He
couldn't have waited another day. So, one of the partners was available. On
other occasions, when our animals have had surgery, we have received daily
updates from our doctor, but on her day off, a different doctor phones. And
for the record, there would never ever ever be a circumstance where animals
were in the practice unattended. The hospital is always staffed with
technicians and nurses 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Even healthy animals
need to be fed, watered, stroked etc. If there are dogs, they need to be
walked multiple times each day. After this is over, please find another
practice that has 24-hour staff coverage and at least two doctors in the
practice. In the meantime, please let us know as soon as Lilly is out of
surgery and recovering. Some of us are sitting in front of our computers
checking for updates. The purrs will continue.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 9th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 9 Feb, 14:04, "cindys" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

you have been a wonderful support & great comfort to me all morning,
as has Big B too.
I can remember once reading a posting on here by another cat owner,
asking if anyone was awake, & a sarcastic reply telling her that the
world is always awake somewhere. It was so true!!
You were right with regard to springing Lilly..It was far too late, &
as I told you, Lilly was already on the table when the vet rang me. I
can't moan about that, other than to say it was 3days too late!!

This practise did use to have 2vetiery surgeons & 2practises as well,
but quite recently, the other practise was sold, so as far as I am
aware, there is only the one vet- Lola.
I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
(when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.
I think my best bet on information like this, might be bookie..she
seems to know a hell of a lot about things such as this. I will be
keeping an eye out for her later as she is probably @ work teaching
right now.
Making an appointment to see my own cat is a new one on me as well!!!!
This is why I can't help but feel that there is something very fishy
going on (
I have never heard of no night care either & I am, just as shocked as
you are. It is my intention to leave it until 15.30 GMT(London time),
then call to see what on earth is going on down there.
In some ways, I feel terribly guilty, because she has always helped
out with My waif and stray cats, however, it doesn't excuse what has
happened over the last 3days though. I am finding it ever so hard to
know how to handle it& also what to do .
Paul suggested that I should ask to see Lilly's care chart for last
night, & also the night previous too- & I am very tempted to do just
that, but also inside, my gut is telling me "Not" to do that, but to
be patient & see what the outcome is-then ask for the care charts when
she least expects me to?
I feel utterly incredulous....a trifle angry & very heartbroken that
it has come down to thinking like this. We did have a good working
relationship before this incident..but my heart also tells me that I
never thought I would ever have to ask for care sheets either- This
might be a blip, but it still doesn't excuse it, does it?
Thank you for your help and compassion -ALL of you too...
The moment I have any further news, I Promise that I will be straight
on line to tell you how Lilly is faring....assuming I am allowed to
see her of course! I TRUELY AM GOB - SMACKED.
You have no worries regarding me finding a new practise either Cindy,
I have already registered all of the cats in the surgery nearest in
the next town. It might be 10 miles away, but who cares??
They have a brilliant reputation, & they have a large practise so
there will never be a concern like this again, with 24 hour cover &
nurses too.
More than thanks for continued support
S.

Old February 9th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...
you have been a wonderful support & great comfort to me all morning,
as has Big B too.

I'm glad I could do something.

I can remember once reading a posting on here by another cat owner,
asking if anyone was awake, & a sarcastic reply telling her that the
world is always awake somewhere. It was so true!!
You were right with regard to springing Lilly..It was far too late, &
as I told you, Lilly was already on the table when the vet rang me. I
can't moan about that, other than to say it was 3days too late!!

Actually, don't feel bad that she's doing the surgery. Assuming Lola is a
competent surgeon, it was best to not delay Lilly's surgery for one more
minute than was necessary. Trying to move Lilly to another facility at this
point might have been a very bad idea.

Paul suggested that I should ask to see Lilly's care chart for last
night, & also the night previous too- & I am very tempted to do just
that, but also inside, my gut is telling me "Not" to do that, but to
be patient & see what the outcome is-then ask for the care charts when
she least expects me to?

You are 100% correct. DO NOT ROCK THE BOAT until Lilly has recovered, and
you have her safely at home. After the fact, when you move your cats to the
new facility, the new facility will request the chart, and then you will be
able to see it. If Lola asks why you made the switch, I would tell her the
truth at that point. But not now. Wait until Lilly is safe at home.

I feel utterly incredulous....a trifle angry & very heartbroken that
it has come down to thinking like this. We did have a good working
relationship before this incident..but my heart also tells me that I
never thought I would ever have to ask for care sheets either- This
might be a blip, but it still doesn't excuse it, does it?

Not at all. See my comments above. I can tell you that at veterinary
practice I use, I can see any of my animals' charts, any time, and I have.
People ask to see their animals' charts all the time, and no one even blinks
an eye.

Thank you for your help and compassion -ALL of you too...
The moment I have any further news, I Promise that I will be straight
on line to tell you how Lilly is faring....assuming I am allowed to
see her of course! I TRUELY AM GOB - SMACKED.
You have no worries regarding me finding a new practise either Cindy,
I have already registered all of the cats in the surgery nearest in
the next town. It might be 10 miles away, but who cares??
They have a brilliant reputation, & they have a large practise so
there will never be a concern like this again, with 24 hour cover &
nurses too.
More than thanks for continued support
S.

I'll be watching for further updates.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 9th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:49:09 GMT, "sheelagh"
wrote:

I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
(when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.

I understand your rage and fear, but maybe this was a horrible anomaly
because of the snow? When Lily is better and home with you and you are
able to be calm (though I don't know if I could be in this case), perhaps
you can sit down with your vet and discuss your concerns.

--
Lynne
Old February 9th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
(when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.

I understand your rage and fear, but maybe this was a horrible anomaly
because of the snow? When Lily is better and home with you and you are
able to be calm (though I don't know if I could be in this case), perhaps
you can sit down with your vet and discuss your concerns.

--
Lynne

lilly out of surgery, no details yet, visiting at half 5 GMT.

and more details later,

thanks for the support

Old February 9th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Whiley

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...

DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

As far as I know, the only thing the *law* requires is that anyone who
practises as a veterinary surgeon must have a licence, which in turn means
that they have to be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
(http://www.rcvs.org.uk).

See Guide to Professional Conduct, which does require vets to "take steps"
to provide 24hr cover for any species they normally treat during office
hours - this might involve an arrangement with another practice or a locum,
but it certainly sounds as though they should have cover. Dealing with
failure to provide cover is probably a matter of internal discipline rather
than law..

Talking to Cats Protection seems like a good idea, Citizens Advice Bureau or
Trading Standards might be able to offer advice too - there might be a
remedy in civil law.

[I Am Not A Lawyer, so everything above is just my opinion!]

But the really important thing is that Lilly's problems get sorted out -
virtual purrs on their way.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname