declawing

Old August 12th 03, 05:38 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message

Why don't you girls get a room.

Wow, that's really convincing, Brandy, what a way to get your point across
*yawn*....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 12th 03, 07:31 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , BrandyÂ*Alexandre at
? wrote on 8/11/03 11:35 PM:

bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

snip

I've no doubt many people from the nations you mentioned are
lovely, wonderful people, but that doesn't detract from the
fact that declawing

is
cruel and unnecessary, which is what we were talking about
before you

tried
to change the subject.

It's the Brandy Sidestep.

Yes, and she really works at it....first she tried changing her
tack from "There is nothing wrong with declawing," to "I just
don't think it should be illegal because then it won't be
available to those who need it." Which is a ridiculous argument
for keeping it legal, because how often is it medically necessary?
Besides, as I pointed out, even the countries that have banned it
will allow it to be done legally when it is medically necessary,
so her little ploy didn't work there.

Now that she realizes that, she has simply resorted to blatent
insults, after wisely pointing out in an earlier post, "You'll
never convince anyone that way. Sure way to make people shut you
out and not listen to your argument. Yeah, name-calling ALWAYS
influences people." Too bad she doesn't take her own advice.
It's just sad that when people realize they're wrong, they don't
have the integrity and good grace to simply admit it, instead of
stooping to distractionary tactics and outright aggression.

Ann

Why don't you girls get a room.

It's official. She *knows* she's wrong.

Karen

Old August 12th 03, 11:24 PM
bewtifulfreak

"kaeli" wrote in message

The point was that most other *industrialized* nations with *similar*
norms and values as our own have seen fit to ban the procedure. Saying
that other nations where it is legal to cut off human body parts (human
clitorectomy) against their wishes allow declawing and having that be
one's argument isn't exactly convincing.

Point well made, Kaeli, dear.

Hugs,
Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 13th 03, 12:41 AM
Cheryl

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in
:

"kaeli" wrote in message

The point was that most other *industrialized* nations with *similar*
norms and values as our own have seen fit to ban the procedure. Saying
that other nations where it is legal to cut off human body parts (human
clitorectomy) against their wishes allow declawing and having that be
one's argument isn't exactly convincing.

Point well made, Kaeli, dear.

Yes it was but it still won't be comprehended by the intended audience.

--
Cheryl

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti.

Old August 13th 03, 12:57 AM
-L.

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message ...
"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Twenty different nations agreeing on the same thing seems like far
more than "opinion" to me, and certainly argues against it being a
matter of regional and cultural preference, unless we are to
believe all twenty of those nations have the same regional and
cultural bias, which seems highly unlikely. The only two
countries that haven't banned it are much more likely to share a
cultural and regional bias, that most likely being the bias of
putting the love of money above all else.

Only two? Which two are you talking about and which hundreds are you
not?

Countries where declawing is banned/illegal:

(as per veterinarian Dr. Christianne Schelling's site,
http://www.declawing.com/ , as accessed through http://stopdeclaw.com )

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Spain
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand

Countries where it is not:

U.S.
Canada

Countries not listed most likely do not engage in the practice of
declawing, because those that are listed have public, published
policies, whether or not it is umbrellaed under the guise of animal
ownership. You cannot ban something or make a legal policy about it,
if it does not exist.

Furthermore, most localities in West Africa do not have laws
pertaining to animals. For those working against the primate trade
industry, it is very difficult to get African countries to abide by
international treaties against the trade in exotic species because
local laws do not exist, and many of the locals do not see the
international treaties as enforcable, especially when the exchange of
money is involved.

If they do not have local laws regarding exotic species, which are
worth tens of thousands of dollars a piece, they are unlikely to have
laws governing common household pets.

-L.