SO Angry!

Old March 20th 04, 12:03 AM
Mary

"Tracy" wrote:

... stuff does happen, even to owners with the best of intentions,
and it's so much better for a lousy $15 per cat or less, to make it
easy for neighbors, vets, shelters and animal control to do the

right
thing and get that kitty back home before something bad happens to

it
:

Yes indeed. That's what I love about this group, sharing
ideas with others who love cats as much as I do. The
old "two heads are better than one" thing is true.

Old March 20th 04, 03:50 AM
Kalyahna

"whayface" wrote in message

Get someone to stay at your place when repair people or anyone has to

enter the place!!
Very simple.

Not so simple. My family is three hours away, and the only people I know
well enough in town to ask to check in on my cats are my co-workers, and the
vast majority of them work the same days and schedules that I do, or have
other jobs, or school.

Old March 20th 04, 02:46 PM
nimue

Kristine Kochanski wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:04:26 +0000, Gwenhwyfaer de Tierveil
wrote:

Quoth Kristine Kochanski:
Single people do leave cats alone for two nights. It's not that
unusual.

It's not unusual but it's very wrong IMO. If you can't look after
'em, don't have 'em.

Please don't turn this into another indoor/outdoor debate. Your
opinion is a perfectly valid opinion, but it doesn't make opposite
opinions invalid, especially not when they're backed up with
evidence.

Of course it's just my opinion, I don't go around removing cats from
homes that are treated in a way I find abhorrent! I find lots of
things other cat owners do quite unbearable but I have my own beliefs
and I have to live by them - and if I had to leave my cats regularly

Wait a minute. Who said anything about leaving your cats regularly? It's
not often I get to go away for a weekend. On the rare occasions that I do,
I have left my cats alone with plenty of food and water. When I come home,
they are fine, and usually in the same places I left them (each has its own
place -- the boycat is on the chair by the window and the girl is on her cat
pedestal by the window).

wouldn't have them, it's as simple as that. That's my opinion as a cat
owner and I'm entitled to express it.

--
nimue

"There was a time when I was young and gay -- but straight."
Max Bialystock

Do not taunt happy fun ball.
SNL

Old March 20th 04, 02:52 PM
nimue

Kristine Kochanski wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:16:09 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:49:25 GMT, "nimue"
wrote:

The big deal is cats need company and stimulation. How would you
like to be trapped in a house all weekend with nobody to play
with?! Would you leave a child alone all weekend so long as it was
healthy and enough food and water? I don't think so.

What about if the cat has kitty companions and someone looking
in on them twice a day?

I would say that's fine (again, only my opinion!) . Having companions,
feline, canine or otherwise, and some human intervention to check up
on them is fine - leaving a solitary cat alone in a house for 24-48
hours isn't fine. What stimulation do they have? Nothing to chase,
nothing to snuggle up with, nothing to distract them. What a boring
existance that would be :-(

Nothing to chase? That's exactly what my cats chase sometimes -- nothing!
One or the other will go wildly tearing around the place after -- nothing!
If they want to play, they play. A piece of paper, a pen, or some nothing
and they are off. As for snuggling, my girlcat thinks my stuffed animal on
my bed is real. She snuggles with that in a way she will not snuggle with
us and the boycat -- a big snuggler -- snuggles up with pillows, humans,
blankets, whatever.

Old March 20th 04, 02:55 PM
nimue

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
wrote in message

Chuckle. I know some kids who would have benefitted from this.

I know some adults who still would :-(. I know I'm going to get
flamed for this, but for a certain segment of the population, I would
be in favour of some sort of mandatory birth control (though I'm not
sure I would go so far as sterilization because I always have hope
that people will change).

I won't flame you. I wish we could sterilize certain people, I really do.
I would love to fix men and women who had abused and/or abandoned children.
There is an organization that will provide long-term birth control to
hopeless addicts who request it. I believe it will also sterilize them for
free if they request it. I can't remember what it's called -- anyone know?

rona

Old March 20th 04, 04:07 PM
M.C. Mullen

"Kalyahna" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| "whayface" wrote in message
|
| Get someone to stay at your place when repair people or anyone has to
| enter the place!!
| Very simple.
|
| Not so simple. My family is three hours away, and the only people I know
| well enough in town to ask to check in on my cats are my co-workers, and
the
| vast majority of them work the same days and schedules that I do, or have
| other jobs, or school.

I have absolutely *no* problem leaving dear cats alone for a weekend as long
as they have enough food and water.
If I go away for a longer period (which does not happen very often), then I
'employ' someone like other cat people in the area and vice versa.
With the dog it's different: 6 hours is the absolute maximum, otherwise I
can luckily give her to my mother or a friend or even the shelter.

Carola

Old March 31st 04, 12:19 AM
JoJo

You raise a valid point on the collars. I wish I could answer that but I
can't. None of my fosters (one which is trying to help me type at the
moment) have ever come home with a collar on them. I don't know why, my
guess is they are young, but even adults I've fostered don't have one.
However, when they get adopted then they get a collar. I've never asked
why, never really thought about it.

JoJo
"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"JoJo" wrote in message

(...)

Because she has no ownership rights to the cats, they belong to the

shelter
she fosters for. Up to shelter if they want to microchip.

That's an argument against chipping, but not against sticking a collar on

'em.

If it's not a
no-kill and they euthanize, it would be a waste of money for them to
microchip an animal that doesn't get adopted (sad but true).

True enough. Chipping in cheap, but I guess it all adds up.

Steve.

SO Angry! Kalyahna Cats - misc 122 March 20th 04 04:07 PM
Angry cat Jack Cat health & behaviour 24 December 4th 03 10:26 PM
I am so angry (vent) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 76 November 2nd 03 06:08 PM