"Cat lovers" (LONG)

Old March 18th 05, 03:07 PM
Lesley Madigan

Default "Cat lovers" (LONG)

Hi all

I was reading Kelly's email about her wonderful friend who needed some
purrs and it got me thinking about something which I am sure everyone
has encountered- "Cat lovers"

Now I don't mean the slaves gathered on this list but people who make
that claim and then come out with things that make you stare at them
and wonder how the Hell could they claim to love cats and yet they
still say they are cat lovers.

Take my co-worker (PLEASE!) I am sure I have mentioned somewhere on
this list that the guy is strange....Well when he first started here
he claimed to have grown up with cats and really liked them. The
reason he grew up with cats was " the cat just kept getting pregnant
and mum sold the kittens to good homes." At one point the house
contained about 15 kittens under 6 months. Why didn't they get her
spayed. She must have been continously either pregnant and/or nursing.
Apparently she died aged about 4 after about 10 or so litters. The
poor cat must have died of exhaustion.

Okay that was his mum's fault, he was only a kid but he's worrying me
now.(To the point where any advice about what I can do under UK law
would be appreciated) Basically he is spending a fortune on having his
car done up and he's worried about "Stamford" (The cat that seems to
have sort of adopted where I work) will sit on it and ruin the
paintwork. He even said that he would have to bring his airgun in
(And this guy is scary enough to make me think he would do it, he
vastly prefers cars to people) so I sent him the information from
Skippy that pointed out that a cat's claw can damage car finishes only
if the finish is a mess anyway. "Oh well" he dismissed, "All the same
if I see that cat get it's claws out on my car I'll take a pair of
pliers and take its nails out, that'll solve the problem"

And he still says he's a cat lover!

The other one was someone I worked with ages ago, she had 3 cats with
pedigrees as long as your arm and talked knowledgeably about cats so I
thought she was okay but there's just a couple of incidents that left
me thinking about what she meant when she said "I am a cat lover"

The first was one day when we were looking at a book on pedigree cats
and I saw my first Maine Coon. "Lovely" was my verdict.

She told me that although at the time, they weren't recognised to show
in the UK, she could put me in touch with a breeder and get me a
kitten for about £500.

"Hmm" says me, "I already have two cats who might have something to
say on the matter"

She shrugged, "They don't count they're only mongrels, you can just
dump them."

A few months later she was complaining because she wanted a Devon Rex
and her parents had drawn the line at 3 cats.

"Ahh well" she finally concluded "My Siamese is nearly 14, he won't be
around much longer and then I can have the Devon Rex."

And yet she'd probably still say she was a cat lover.....

Anyone else run into these "cat lovers"

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 18th 05, 03:27 PM
Karen

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
m...
[...]

As I understand it, the UK has pretty tough laws. I would print out the law
on animal abuse and let him know in no uncertain terms that you would feel
inclined to enforce that if anything ever appeared to happen to this cat and
if his talk is "just talk" he should consider what he is saying more
carefully because now if anything should happen to that cat you will think
it is him.

[...]

Jeez. Tell her you hope her family doesn't say that about her when she gets
older.

Old March 18th 05, 03:29 PM
CatNipped

"Karen" wrote in message

"Ahh well" she finally concluded "My Siamese is nearly 14, he won't be
around much longer and then I can have the Devon Rex."

Jeez. Tell her you hope her family doesn't say that about her when she

gets
older.

Yeah! When I told my mother about what happened to Bandit, I was expecting
her to say something stupid and insensitive and she didn't let me down. Her
response was, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just have her PTS - she is 15
years old." Right mom, I'll remember that if you ever have medical problems
and need someone to take care of you! She's one of those, "It's just an
animal" type of people - I *swear* I was adopted!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 18th 05, 04:40 PM
melizabeth

"Karen" wrote in message

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
m...
Hi all

snip

[...]

Karen is absolutely right. The UK laws are pretty tough. I would contact
the animal protection agency (RSPA or RSPC?) and ask them about laws
regarding animal abuse. I would not hestitate to mention the incident and
ask them what to do.

She shrugged, "They don't count they're only mongrels, you can just

dump them."

Niiiiiiiiiccccce...I wish I had a whippy comeback for that.

A few months later she was complaining because she wanted a Devon Rex
and her parents had drawn the line at 3 cats.

"Ahh well" she finally concluded "My Siamese is nearly 14, he won't be
around much longer and then I can have the Devon Rex."

Jeez. Tell her you hope her family doesn't say that about her when she

gets
older.

::applause:: That is a perfect response.

I'm all about sarcasm when it comes to dolts like this.

Old March 18th 05, 11:28 PM
KellyH

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
m...
Hi all

I was reading Kelly's email about her wonderful friend who needed some
purrs and it got me thinking about something which I am sure everyone
has encountered- "Cat lovers"

Yep, I've encountered people like that, usually through the shelter. A
couple of stories:

People who give up their cats to the shelter for stupid reasons (IM not so
HO) moving, new boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't like cats, etc but then go on
and on about how much they love cats (??)

People who want us to give them a cat for free because they will give it
such a great home. Of course, we don't adopt out cats for free, but I
always ask just for kicks about their past and current cats and it's always,
"oh that one got hit by a car" "this one disappeared".

This guy who contacted us for low-cost vetting and had like 8 cats, none
were spayed/neutered. Somehow convinced him to s/n the cats (of course, for
free). The reason he hadn't done the males was that he was proud "his guys"
were spreading their seed around the neighborhood. Ugh!!!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 19th 05, 01:02 AM
Enfilade

And he still says he's a cat lover!

Someone at the base said that Smokey probably had a home near the base
and he was just hanging around the ops-center because we'd give him
people-food.

Yeah, right, that's why his hips were sunken in and he was full of
worms and he hung around the base 24/7 and he was decimating the local
rabbit population....

If he DID have a home, it was a LOUSY one.

--Fil
Old March 21st 05, 11:19 AM
Lesley Madigan

Yeah! When I told my mother about what happened to Bandit, I was expecting
her to say something stupid and insensitive and she didn't let me down. Her
response was, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just have her PTS - she is 15
years old." Right mom, I'll remember that if you ever have medical problems
and need someone to take care of you! She's one of those, "It's just an
animal" type of people - I *swear* I was adopted!!!

Catnipped

You and me both! When Isis passed away my mothers comment was "I
suppose you get fond of the things"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 21st 05, 04:49 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-21, Lesley Madigan penned:

You and me both! When Isis passed away my mothers comment was "I suppose you
get fond of the things"

Wow. Just, wow.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 05, 10:52 AM
Lesley Madigan

On 2005-03-21, Lesley Madigan penned:

You and me both! When Isis passed away my mothers comment was "I suppose you
get fond of the things"

Wow. Just, wow.

My mother didn't like any small living things (I sometimes suspect
that category included children) my dad was a keen gardener and thus
loathed small felines. My SO's mum is an ailurophobe (Excuse
spelling).As a result, me and both my brothers have been owned by cats
(through one brother swears they're the wives and the other since his
job takes him all over the World left them with his ex-girlfriend but
visits regularly)

Perhap's we're all adopted too!

Old March 22nd 05, 07:30 PM
Tanada

Lesley Madigan wrote:

My mother didn't like any small living things (I sometimes suspect
that category included children) my dad was a keen gardener and thus
loathed small felines. My SO's mum is an ailurophobe (Excuse
spelling).As a result, me and both my brothers have been owned by cats
(through one brother swears they're the wives and the other since his
job takes him all over the World left them with his ex-girlfriend but
visits regularly)

Perhap's we're all adopted too!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

How were your grand parents with small living things? It may have been
genetics, just passed a generation.

My idiot sister had a siamese mix named Bill after the cat in opus. The
only reason IS had her was because she was more scared of mice than
willing to do without a cat. I have concluded that I didn't get my cat
slave genes from my mother's side of the family (same mom, different
dads).

The old man liked cats and d*gs, but was a product of his generation and
upbringing. I like to think that with a different time, therapy, and a
lot of conditioning, he'd have made a really good cat slave.

Pam S.

T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
We're back from Purrth (long) badwilson Cat anecdotes 24 July 20th 04 04:09 PM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
I attempt to make a cat tree...LONG Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 14 April 16th 04 02:32 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM