Iams and Eukanuba cat food

Old April 4th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

Default Iams and Eukanuba cat food

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB
Old April 4th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:
Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Old April 4th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 Apr, 18:30, "Lis" wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Is this scare contained to the USA Only?

The reason I ask is because it has hardly been mentioned over here at
all..
You would think they would have, judging by the severity of the effect
it has had on the USA, Wouldn't you?
Which Brands is there to choose from that has not been affected,
because looking at the lists, it covers pretty much every one of them
now!

It must be ever so worrying for you all. I have to admit that I have
been looking out for brands in the shops just waiting for something to
be recalled, & trying as hard as we can to avoid the ones that have
been affected, just in case...
S;o)

Old April 4th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Apr 4, 3:07 pm, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 4 Apr, 18:30, "Lis" wrote:

On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Is this scare contained to the USA Only?

It affects the US and Canada. There's a Canadian woman who's very sick
because she had a rescue dog who was reluctant to eat. She thought his
problem was stress and insecurity, and she ate some of the food to
encourage him to eat. It worked, and now they're both seriously ill.

The reason I ask is because it has hardly been mentioned over here at
all..
You would think they would have, judging by the severity of the effect
it has had on the USA, Wouldn't you?

The scary thing is that the major news media HERE have been very slow
to give it any significant coverage. They're only starting to make
note of the fact that the "sixteen confirmed deaths" is from the very
beginning of the scare and consists mostly of the animals in Menu
Foods' feeding trial to determine if the reports they were getting
really were caused by their food. In states where the state
veterinarian is asking veterinarians to report deaths and illnesses
apparently related to the food, there are generally over a hundred
each. You can barely tell that from the major news coverage, though.

Which Brands is there to choose from that has not been affected,
because looking at the lists, it covers pretty much every one of them
now!

All the major pet food corporations have something on the recall list.
So far there's no actual evidence that ANY dry foods are affected,
though, and there are smaller companies that have no foods on the
recall list, and companies that don't do business with Menu Foods and/
or don't use any wheat gluten in any of their products.

Foods not on the recall list:
http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

The list of foods recalled:
http://localhostr.com/files/3b3e7c6af17ef0677e5c.pdf

It must be ever so worrying for you all. I have to admit that I have
been looking out for brands in the shops just waiting for something to
be recalled, & trying as hard as we can to avoid the ones that have
been affected, just in case...
S;o)

It's very scary. The fact that the list has expanded to include foods
that were considered "safe" alternatives at the beginning makes
everyone even more nervous and more inclined to panic. My new dog--her
breeder feeds ONE of her dogs Alpo because she likes it better than
what the other dogs are getting. So of course it turns out that this
dog's favorite flavor is the exact product that just got added to the
recall list. Fortunately, the product codes are different, and the dog
appears to be okay, but she's had her last can of Alpo for the
foreseeable future, and quite possibly forever.

Whether you're feeding your pets something high-end because you
believe it's the highest-quality food for them, or something lower-end
because it's what they really like, or what you can afford, you've got
a scarily high chance of having made the wrong choice, and
accidentally poisoned your pet.

Lis

Old April 4th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
imloafin

On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, "Lis" wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Iams "dry" is suspected in a cat's death, details he

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20070403a.html

Old April 4th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

No it is not PETA got a report and passed it on. Anything that PETA has to
do with is subject to suspicion

"imloafin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 4th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Apr 4, 4:49 pm, "imloafin" wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, "Lis" wrote:

On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Iams "dry" is suspected in a cat's death, details he

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...ive/200704/NAT...

According to PETA--not exactly a reliable source, and not exactly a
friend to pets and pet owners. They routinely kill surrendered pets
that the former owners expected that PETA, being an "animal rights
organization" would rehome, because PETA believes it's an
insupportable affront to any animal to live in close dependence on
humans. PETA's goal is that we should have NO pets; the purpose of
their current antics is to convince pet owners that there is NOTHING
we can safely feed our pets.

And no, a grieving pet owner, with no supporting veterinary
information, and no information at all about the cat's age or previous
health, is not evidence, either. A two-year-old cat with kidney
failure raises suspicion of toxicity somewhere as one serious
possibility; a sixteen-year-old cat with kidney failure simply does
not, not unless there's other evidence to suggest it. The cat's age
and previous condition are not mentioned; just the final diagnosis.
And details matter: Ten years ago, my four-year-old cat died suddenly
of acute renal failure. Should I have suspected tainted food? Well,
maybe--except that it was the same food I was feeding my other two
cats, who were fine, and the cat that died was the runt of her litter,
always tiny and with close to zero body fat. She had congenital
defects in her internal organs, and four years was just all that was
in her. The cat mentioned in the story may have been like her, or may
have been a vigorous, healthy two-year-old, or may have been an
otherwise-healthy but elderly fifteen-year-old. We don't know. The
story gives us nothing, except the pet owner's grief, and PETA's
shameless exploitation of it.

Lis

Old April 5th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
imloafin

On Apr 4, 5:29 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
No it is not PETA got a report and passed it on. Anything that PETA has to
do with is subject to suspicion

"imloafin" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, "Lis" wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:09 pm, mlbriggs wrote:

Today's newspaper carried a full page ad. It confirmed that Iams and
Eukanuba dry food is perfectly safe for out pets. MLNB

It ASSERTS that Eukanuba and Iams dry foods are perfectly safe for our
pets. It's probably correct, but a paid advertisement by the company
that produces the products is hardly the same thing as independent,
objective verification.

Lis

Iams "dry" is suspected in a cat's death, details he

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...200704/NAT...- Hide quoted text -

hi "Matthew", thanks for weighing-in on this subject.

You assert:

Quote: "No it is not...

Assuming you are referring to the "suspected" reference; if the pet
owner suspects
the pet's death is diet related, then the suspicion has merit - until
proved, or, disproved.
A suspicious death is just that: suspicious. All evidence is to be
considered.

Quote cont'd.: ...PETA got a report and passed it on."

Apparently, that is the scenario: a reiteration of a published news
story.

Quote: "Anything that PETA has to do with is subject to suspicion(.)"

While their reputation and motivation may be a topic for a different
debate, that story alerted me
to another case - glaringly - similar to mine!

Read: My young cat became deathly ill with acute respiratory arrest
after consuming
from a - fresh bag - of Iams dry food. (Previous bags were consumed
without incident.)

Tragically, my vet recommended euthanasia due to the suffering.

Coincidence of case? Perhaps. Then, perhaps not.

This matter indicates further investigation and evaluation, replete
with laboratory
analysis of food samples, possible autopsy or diagnosis of tissue
specimens.

I'm attempting to contact the pet owner in the story to compare
product label dates
and codes, vet notes, etc.

If a correlation can be established, a Warning Notice broad-casted,
then other pet owners may come forward with similar reports.
Presently, the owners may not correlate the advertised-as-safe dry
food with an illness or death!

I have documents in-hand.

Old April 5th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Apr 4, 3:56 pm, "Lis" wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:07 pm, "sheelagh" wrote:

snip

Which Brands is there to choose from that has not been affected,
because looking at the lists, it covers pretty much every one of them
now!

All the major pet food corporations have something on the recall list.
So far there's no actual evidence that ANY dry foods are affected,
though, and there are smaller companies that have no foods on the
recall list, and companies that don't do business with Menu Foods and/
or don't use any wheat gluten in any of their products.

You know, I made a wrong statement here, that needs to be corrected--
and our PETA-believer came along and challenged the wrong statement.
There IS one dry food that's affected; Hill's Science Diet M/D, one of
their prescription diets, that has also been recalled.

Of course, lack of evidence that any other dry foods are affected is
not the same thing as proof that they're safe, either. The recall list
has already been expanded several times, and the Science Diet M/D
recall breaches the "no dry foods involved" barrier. Everyone's
worried.

snip

Lis

Old April 5th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"imloafin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 4, 5:29 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
No it is not PETA got a report and passed it on. Anything that PETA has
do with is subject to suspicion

"imloafin" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, "Lis" wrote:
[...]

After you have all the above done and have documents in hand in terms real
proof.

I will be one of the first to be out there broadcasting the problems. Also
please except my sorrows for the passing of your furball.

Ps. good luck getting information from PETA be ready for them to use your
story as a building block for more advertisement for them.