No San Diego Home for Conan

Old July 9th 05, 06:07 AM

SuzQ wrote:
Catnipped said:

It was brought home to me how "tamed" most other countries are compared
the US when I participated in an indoor vs. outdoor cats, um, thread.
People from overseas didn't realize the dangers from wild animals that we
*still* have over here (coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, bears, etc.)

Very true even here in Massachusetts, settled since 1620, we have coyotes
and the occasional wildcat. New Hamphire just 20 miles North of me has
bears.

No way am I letting my sweet Spicey out there.

I read recently that the coyote population is greater in the US than it
was in colonial times. Amazing, when you consider urban development,
loss of habitat and all.

Sherry

Old July 9th 05, 06:27 AM
Jo Firey

wrote in message
ups.com...

SuzQ wrote:
Catnipped said:

It was brought home to me how "tamed" most other countries are compared
the US when I participated in an indoor vs. outdoor cats, um, thread.
People from overseas didn't realize the dangers from wild animals that we
*still* have over here (coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, bears, etc.)

Very true even here in Massachusetts, settled since 1620, we have coyotes
and the occasional wildcat. New Hamphire just 20 miles North of me has
bears.

No way am I letting my sweet Spicey out there.

I read recently that the coyote population is greater in the US than it
was in colonial times. Amazing, when you consider urban development,
loss of habitat and all.

Sherry

They manage quite well in suburban areas. Humans are good about providing
them with food and about getting rid of nasty old predators that used to
keep them in check. And we aren't nearly as likely to shoot them on sight
as farmers used to be.

Jo

Old July 9th 05, 04:00 PM
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:27:08 -0700, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

SuzQ wrote:
Catnipped said:

[...]

Also, we have greatly reduced the populations of other predators that
used to compete with the coyotes: wolves, foxes, bobcats, etc. The
coyotes have proved to be more flexible at fitting in with humans than
the other species have.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old July 9th 05, 08:59 PM
Lucys Mom

I believe it!!! I hear coyotes almost every evening out here. One
night right after we moved in, I swear they caught whatever it was they
were chasing and devoured it in the back yard. The rukus scared the
h*l* out of us, Lucy included. She was standing on my chest, facing
the window, puffed up like a polish kielbasa!!! Folks who foolishly
let their cats and dogs out after dark around here usually don't have
them for long...

Old July 9th 05, 11:44 PM
SuzQ

Your brain must have an enourmous hard drive Howard. You're both
informative and entertaining. I really enjoy your posts.
Suz&Spicey

Old July 10th 05, 06:13 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article
outpets.com, "SuzQ"
wrote:

Your brain must have an enourmous hard drive Howard. You're both
informative and entertaining. I really enjoy your posts.
Suz&Spicey

Thank you. I worry, at times, at all that's stored on backups somewhere.