Cat snack AKA Hummingbirds

Old July 23rd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default Cat snack AKA Hummingbirds

On Sat 22 Jul 2006 07:01:40a, Magic Mood Jeep© wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

We had the problem of ants continuously marching up the
'shepherds hook' that our feeder hangs from. When we removed
the feeder for cleaning, that thing was *covered* with ants,
looking for the free handout. We decided to make this ant-block
when we cleaned the feeder, and when we replaced the feeder with
ant-blocker, it was only minutes before they had marked the base
of the post with a 'no free meal; here scent, and nary an ant
even bothers to climb the pole to the hook anymo

Thank you very much for the idea, and I hope you got my email. After
reading all of the posts, I thought of something to try. I hung the
feeder from the hook with some florists wire instead of just the S
hook I was using. I can't see how ants can climb down florists wire,
but if they do, I'll use your idea. Brilliant idea! Times like
this I think my entire house is built on top of an ant hill.

--
Cheryl
Old July 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sat 22 Jul 2006 03:42:35a, Mischief wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:1153554155.770984.65340
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com):

Ooo I have a few hummingbird stories....pardon the length

Thanks for the stories, Kristy. All great. I also am enjoying the
Mouser adventures very much.
--
Cheryl

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the
sight."
- Albert Schweitzer
Old July 24th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JBHajos

Hi -

Here's another hummer "fan"!!

I just read that they start migrating back to the mountains in
Mexico from July through September, so I won't be seeing them for
much longer.

They come here on their way to Mexico. We never see them on their way
north - they must take a different route. We put out feeders on the
first of July as the first "scouts" come in then. Our first visitor
this year came on the 5th. The last of them leave around the first
week in September on their way to the Gulf of Mexico, which they fly
over non-stop to their winter habitat. It gives me the chills to
think of those tiny little birds going all that distance over water
without a break on land!! Since the Ruby Throats are the only
hummers to be found east of the Mississippi (and they don't go west
either), we have the pleasure of seeing the boys' with their colorful
throats and the feisty little girls zooming about. It's one of our
favorite times of the summer watching them fatten up for the arduous
trip ahead of them. I enjoyed your post so much, thanks for writing
it.
Old July 25th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Mischief wrote:

Ooo I have a few hummingbird stories....pardon the length

snip
And then last year, when I was heading out to springboard diving
practice from the locker room, my teammate pointed out something on the
chain link fence in the locker room. It was a hummer and he was
clinging on for dear life. snip
I finally managed to get him when he landed on a hanging mobile and
swooped him into my hat. Then I opened the door to the outside and
told the little guy to stay away from locker rooms. I took away my
hand and he immediately flew up, hovered in front of me for a split
second and then flew away.

And I went to class with a big smile on my face.

Kristi

What a lovely story!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek