now it's hairballs........

Old June 17th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default now it's hairballs........

First it's that spot on her nose, which i will keep an eye on, but now
it's hairballs.

Mischief and Imp, being shorthairs have never EVER had hairballs. The
only horking i would hear would be from Mischief, horking up food after
eating it too fast.

Mayhem is a medium/long haired kitty and she's been in my home for
about six months now, and last week i found some kitty vomit with a lot
of hair in it. Now today i come home and find another one, again with
hair in it. My conclusion is I've seen my very first hairball.

Bear in mind too, these three are my first kitties so i've never had to
deal with hairballs before. And it's got to be Mayhem since she is the
fluffiest and furriest and also I've never seen a hairball until now.

I think there's something called Hairball Remedy, right? It's like a
cream or paste you feed to your cat? I know there are a bunch of
products out there, can anyone reccommend one?

Kristi

Old June 18th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...
First it's that spot on her nose, which i will keep an eye on, but now
it's hairballs.

Mischief and Imp, being shorthairs have never EVER had hairballs. The
only horking i would hear would be from Mischief, horking up food after
eating it too fast.

Mayhem is a medium/long haired kitty and she's been in my home for
about six months now, and last week i found some kitty vomit with a lot
of hair in it. Now today i come home and find another one, again with
hair in it. My conclusion is I've seen my very first hairball.

I have only experienced one hairball from my cats. It was the shape of my
middle finger and there was no vomit with it. There it was on the rug
front of the fire when I got home so I posted to the group for advice. It
was confirmed as my very first (and up till now, last) hairball.

Bear in mind too, these three are my first kitties so i've never had to
deal with hairballs before. And it's got to be Mayhem since she is the
fluffiest and furriest and also I've never seen a hairball until now.

I am not an experienced cat owner, but the one hairball my cats upchucked
was not accompanied by vomit, so it would be good if the more experienced
ones here had something to say about whether it's normal or not.

I think there's something called Hairball Remedy, right? It's like a
cream or paste you feed to your cat? I know there are a bunch of
products out there, can anyone reccommend one?

I've heard that putting Vaseline - petroleum jelly - on your cats paws so
they lick it off works just as well as expensive hairball remedies.
I don't know, I'm not recommending it, just something I heard would work.
My cats don't seem to have a hairball problem, so I've never tried it. If
they did, I would give it a go.

Tweed

Old June 18th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mischief wrote:

I think there's something called Hairball Remedy, right? It's like a
cream or paste you feed to your cat? I know there are a bunch of
products out there, can anyone reccommend one?

Kristi

Yes I used to give Rusty hairball remedy. It is flavoured and Rusty
likes its. I think it is mainly petroleum jelly. I read that it can
interfere with absorption of nutrients, so don't give too much of it to
your cats. I read in a vet column that a teaspoon of canned pumpkin
(NOT the pumpkin pie filling) a day will also helps with hairball.
Rusty loves pumpkin, but lately he has not been very enthuisastic about
it. He still eats it. I mix it with his canned food. The vet also told
me fresh squeezed pineapple juice is good for hairballs. On google, I
found somebody reported that a vet school also uses pineapple juice on
cats. I think its the enzyme in the pinapple that helps with digestion
of ingested hair. Whenever I eat fresh pineapple, I save the juice for
Rusty.

Hope this helps.

Winnie

Old June 18th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I think there's something called Hairball Remedy, right? It's like a
cream or paste you feed to your cat? I know there are a bunch of
products out there, can anyone reccommend one?

Kristi

We use Laxatone. Kinda greases things up so they pass on through the
digestive tract.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old June 18th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sam" wrote in message

I think there's something called Hairball Remedy, right? It's like a
cream or paste you feed to your cat? I know there are a bunch of
products out there, can anyone reccommend one?

Kristi

We use Laxatone. Kinda greases things up so they pass on through the
digestive tract.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Three words:

1. Cod
2. Liver
3. Oil

Or use Max's remedy: Fresh baby rabbits.

Catatonic....
H.

Old June 18th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mischief wrote:

[...]

Trouble with most hairball remedies is that you can't always
get the cat who needs it to cooperate. (Although a friend
of mine had a cat who was "addicted" to Petromalt - he'd sit
under the drawer where she kept it and cough suggestively!)
Albertson's sells a dry food for indoor cats called
Atta-Cat, which is supposed to help deal with hairballs, and
both of mine seem to like it. It IS the "season" though -
the other day I came home to find TWO rather large pieces of
sausage-shaped grey felt on the carpet - courtesy of
Melisande, who's the long-haired one. (Poor baby - with all
that in her little stomach, it's a wonder she had room for
food!)

Kristi

Old June 18th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Winnie wrote:

Mischief wrote:

[...]

How on earth do you get a cat to DRINK pineapple juice?
Mine want nothing to do with anything sweet. (I might try
pumpkin, but it comes in rather large cans, doesn't keep
forever, and what would I do with the resst of it?)

Hope this helps.

Winnie

Old June 18th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

How on earth do you get a cat to DRINK pineapple juice?
Mine want nothing to do with anything sweet. (I might try
pumpkin, but it comes in rather large cans, doesn't keep
forever, and what would I do with the resst of it?)

I used an eye dropper to give Rusty the pineapple juice. Only about 3
ml. each time. Another way is to mix it with the canned cat food.
As for the canned pumpkin, I divided the contents of a large can into
smaller portions for freezing. I also used it with my pancake mix to
make pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin has a lot of fibre so it is good for me
too. If you bake, you can use it make pumpkin pie.

Winnie

Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat health & behaviour 1 July 28th 05 04:05 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat anecdotes 1 July 28th 05 01:15 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat community 0 July 28th 05 12:25 AM
hairballs Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs Cat health & behaviour 10 October 18th 04 02:09 AM
Hairballs: Persia doesn't feel good ? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 8 September 28th 03 09:40 PM