Cat suddenly starts to use toilet to pee

Old November 9th 04, 05:52 AM
calaf

Default Cat suddenly starts to use toilet to pee

I'm sitting at this computer the other night and I hear a sound of
flowing water coming from my nearby bathroom. I turn my head and I see
the cat I adopted about 8 months ago squatted on the toilet seat, peeing
down into the bowl. He apparently has perfect aim, too. Not a drop on
the seat.

I adopted him back in January. He was a neighborhood cat who had lived
outside, and was eating from plastic bowls of dry cat food an older lady
was putting out at her front door. He is probably around 8 years old,
judging by the wear of his teeth and the dark spots on his lips.

Could a cat learn to use the toilet without having been taught first by
another human? Or is it something he's doing by instinct?

Very bizarre.

Old November 9th 04, 06:28 AM
Marina

calaf wrote:

I'm sitting at this computer the other night and I hear a sound of
flowing water coming from my nearby bathroom. I turn my head and I see
the cat I adopted about 8 months ago squatted on the toilet seat, peeing
down into the bowl. He apparently has perfect aim, too. Not a drop on
the seat.

I adopted him back in January. He was a neighborhood cat who had lived
outside, and was eating from plastic bowls of dry cat food an older lady
was putting out at her front door. He is probably around 8 years old,
judging by the wear of his teeth and the dark spots on his lips.

Could a cat learn to use the toilet without having been taught first by
another human? Or is it something he's doing by instinct?

Very bizarre.

My sister's cat, Linus, taught himself to use the toilet, but then, he's
been with her since he was three months old. Now, if they would only
learn to flush, too! )

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 9th 04, 08:28 AM
calaf

It just makes you wonder what else they're capable of. And how much
they're able to figure out about us!

Old November 9th 04, 09:36 AM
Hans Schrøder

"calaf" wrote in message

Could a cat learn to use the toilet without having been taught first by
another human? Or is it something he's doing by instinct?

Very bizarre.

Tinùviel uses the kitchen sink for peeing. And that is something she has
found out all by herself, she has definitely not seen me doing that kind of
thing there. Before she found out about the kitchen sink, she used to go to
the drain in the bathroom floor and use that...

Anyway, It's both cute and practical. It gives me less work cleaning the
litter box.

Hans

Old November 9th 04, 09:48 AM

calaf wrote:

I'm sitting at this computer the other night and I hear a sound of
flowing water coming from my nearby bathroom. I turn my head and I see
the cat I adopted about 8 months ago squatted on the toilet seat, peeing
down into the bowl. He apparently has perfect aim, too. Not a drop on
the seat.

Well then, he puts many human males to shame.

Could a cat learn to use the toilet without having been taught first by
another human? Or is it something he's doing by instinct?

I don't think there's anything in feline evolution that would have
prepared them for a toilet bowl. So, I'd say it's not instinct.
However, cats do learn by observation, and it's not just other cats
they're observing. A little scary, isn't it?

Sounds like a smart kitty! Teach him to flush!

Joyce