Maia Kitty has Hyperthyroid Disease

Old December 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
rom:

Not everyone is
out to be a "parasite" as someone posted. Sometimes life throws us
things we don't expect, and we just do the best we can...and that's
what I am trying to do.

While I can sympathize with a bad situation, one has to realize that going

out
onto the internet and asking total strangers to send you money is not the

right
thing to do. Many of us have been in bad situations. We do what is

necessary
to get the proper treatment for our pets. A few examples: getting a job,
cancelling our internet provider to save money, asking family for help,

asking
the vet to make a payment plan, etc. I read your website and your gall is
unbelievable! You are not in some awful situation (too sick to work,

etc.).
You are just someone who is in graduate school. You want everyone else to
support your cat's treatment but yourself. Don't you think we have our

own
pets who have important needs? Or is your cat somehow more important than
ours? So you claim your particular vet doesn't accept payment plans.

Then
find another vet who does. Maybe even find a vet who will put your cat on
proper medication in the meantime instead of letting her waste to death.

always believe when there is a will, there is a way. Stop depending on

other
people and learn to take care of your cat! (again, if in fact the cat

exists.
Just because you say she does, doesn't make it so)
________

Lauren, stop making perfect sense. It is bound to be wasted on the
Terminally
Entitled, as this twit surely is.

Old December 2nd 04, 06:30 PM
Barb

A good point was made here. Grad students as well as under grads are
inundated with credit card offers, While in general they should be refused,
using one for medical treatment for one's cat is a good idea to be paid back
upon employment.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 2nd 04, 11:15 PM
Cathy Friedmann

wrote in message
oups.com...
From Maia's owner...Maia actually just had the radio treatment--if you

read my website (ie "FAQ's" and "weekly updates"),

All I read was the Home page; had no real desire to delve farther into the
site - mostly due to the "begging" nature of it. The home page stated that
Maia is still losing weight, is down to 5 pounds, & infers that she still
needs treatment. If this is no longer true, how about updating the info?

much of the stuff
you're talking about is answered there. I was advised that Maia should
not go on the tapazole before radiotherapy, as there would be some
conflict with the two.

??? This is news to me. I don't understand why there'd be a conflict. Why
would a vet advise a cat's owner to let the cat remain hyperthyroid until
the radioactive treatment appt. arrived?

An appt slot opened up for the radiotherapy and
we jumped on it. Everything happened so quickly, and I did what I
thought was best, under the guidance of the professionals I consulted
with. And YES, Maia is real, and YES she has hyperthyroidism, and YES,
I am sincere in my asking for some help. I made a posting here in an
effort to connect with others, be a resource to others who may have a
kitty with this disease, and to see if anyone was interested in helping
out. I know we are on the net and none of you know me, but I didn't
expect to be defending my choices and legitimacey--perhaps a bit naive
on my part. Whether you agree with what I am doing or not, that really
doesn't matter to me...I just thought some of you would show a little
more tact, as perhaps a real person with a real kitty just might be on
the other side reading your responses.

Yeah, a real person who's begging others to pick up on the financial
responsibility of their cat's medical bill. A large bill which was a
*choice* - see below.

Additionally, you may want to
read my website to understand my circumstances better. Not everyone is
out to be a "parasite" as someone posted. Sometimes life throws us
things we don't expect, and we just do the best we can...and that's
what I am trying to do.

You didn't have to go with the ultra-pricey radioactive treatment, if
finances are an issue. Methimazole is way less expensive - even when
considering years of therapy, & a monthly prescription of it requires
shelling out many fewer dollars just one month at a time - instant
budgeting! - not a huge one-time bill. Yet methimazole usually works just
fine.

Cathy

Old December 3rd 04, 05:27 AM
Save Maia Kitty

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
oups.com...
From Maia's owner...Maia actually just had the radio treatment--if you

[...]

Cathy, my vet did not recommend that I let Maia go untreated until I

could do the radiotherapy. I decided to do that form of treatment,
(after doing all the research, including cost research for my area),
and she said I needed to do something ASAP and that I should not start
the Tapozole while I waited for an appt for the radiotherapy b/c the
cat should not be on it a few weeks or so before the radiation...

While some of you have shown more etiquette than others, I am tired of
defending myself in this group. I have been called a liar, a parasite,
a twit, a beggar, and irresponsible--just to name a few. I started
this group in hopes of connecting with other kind animal lovers--not
to be attacked and made to feel bad about myself and my choices. I
feel I have treated you all with respect...and whether you agree with
me or not, I hoped to be treated respectfully too. I am going through
enough already, and don't want to waste my time with people who get
their kicks by 'hissing' at me. So I leave you all to continue your
drama fest discussing what an idiot you think I am, whom one of you
would like to actually "slap silly". I hope none of you ever find
yourselves in need and having to ask for some help.
Old December 3rd 04, 02:00 PM
Sherry

While some of you have shown more etiquette than others, I am tired of
defending myself in this group.

Good luck with Maia kitty. You're being really unfair in your criticism, by the
way. You want our money, yet you won't even put your last name for people to
send a personal check..you only accept other forms of payment for that reason.
As if you have something to hide, and don't want to be checked out. You might
have better credibility if you arranged with your vet to have donations phoned
directly to him/her.

Sherry
Old December 3rd 04, 03:29 PM
Mary

"Save Maia Kitty" wrote

While some of you have shown more etiquette than others

Oh please. Etiquette? Like the incredibly good taste you've shown
by making yourself a charity case? Do you have parents? Friends?
Most of us know what it is like to fall short financially once in a while,
and that is where we might turn if we needed money.

, I am tired of
defending myself in this group. I have been called a liar, a parasite,
a twit, a beggar, and irresponsible--just to name a few.

All appear quite accurate given your web site. "Save Maia Kitty"
my ass. Her life has never been in danger.

I started
this group in hopes of connecting with other kind animal lovers--

You mean connecting with their money.

not
to be attacked and made to feel bad about myself and my choices.

Psst ... here's amajor clue for you: nobody CARES what you WANT.
Can you get your mind around that? When you act like an ass,
expect to be treated like an ass. Your website proves your assdom.
Assishness. Terminal entitledness.

feel I have treated you all with respect...and whether you agree with
me or not, I hoped to be treated respectfully too. I am going through
enough already, and don't want to waste my time with people who get
their kicks by 'hissing' at me. So I leave you all to continue your
drama fest discussing what an idiot you think I am, whom one of you
would like to actually "slap silly". I hope none of you ever find
yourselves in need and having to ask for some help.

We all have. How many of us have set up a beggar web site, though?
Wake up.

Old December 4th 04, 08:13 AM
jamie

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
m...
My vet told me that the down side to the surgery is that it is easy
to take too much of the parathyroid, which causes problems. Here,
the surgery would have been about $600 instead of the $1,200 for
the radiation.

P.S. Debbie's surgery was nowhere near $600; more like $200-250-ish IIRC,
but OTOH that was 6+ years ago. Plus location - where in the country one's
located - seems to have a big effect on prices.

Gideon's thyroid surgery, plus dental cleaning and two bad teeth
extracted, plus $50 (optional) for an outside lab to analyze the
removed growth, came to about $325. That was 3 months ago, in
central Texas.

My vet did mention that she had no trouble finding and returning the
parathyroid from the overgrown thyroid lobe, but she teaches thyroid
surgery, so I assume she's very good at it.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old December 4th 04, 09:46 PM
Barb

I believe if you told your vet that you didn't have enough money for the
operation for thyroid he would suggest medication. I told my vet I was
willing to go the operation route but he still wanted to try the tapazol
first. It can be regulated, for one thing. It's not an operation for
another. Pepper has done fine with the Tapazol for several years. Her dose
has been decreased several times.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE??? Charles Cat health & behaviour 57 January 21st 04 10:17 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM