Sammy's too big...

Old April 19th 05, 11:42 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:
for her bed!

Health: She certainly is a healthy girl!

Behavior: *WHY* does she insist in sleeping in a bed two sizes too

small
for her. We have 6 other cat beds in the house, at least 4 of which

would
hold her more comfortably! ;

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Too_Big_Two/

Hi,

Just wandering in here...looking for cat diet advice. I saw your
posting and I have to say, Sammy doesn't seem big to me.

At least, not compared to what I'm used to.

Here's my Mischief, on "his" bed:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_01.jpg

Here's another shot of him laying on the floor. That's a standard
guitar next to him:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...and_guitar.jpg

LOL! Oh my, that's a *LOT* of cat!!! ; But he is very handsome, even
though he's, um, "fluffy".

What have you tried diet-wise? There are a few people here who have a lot
of experience with diet - I've never had to put a cat on one before now (and
I'm not sure is Sammy will need one or not yet). I have gathered that you
don't want a cat to lose weight too fast.

I'm "pinging" Phil to this post - I think he may be able to help you.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 19th 05, 11:55 PM

CatNipped wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Just wandering in here...looking for cat diet advice.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_01.jpg

LOL! Oh my, that's a *LOT* of cat!!! ; But he is very handsome,

even
though he's, um, "fluffy".

Thank you. He prefers to be called "big boned".

What have you tried diet-wise?

I have four cats. I feed them dry food, I mix Kirkland Maintenance and
Whiskas. Mischief is the last one to come to eat. But he'll wander
over and finish off all the other cats' food.

There are a few people here who have a lot
of experience with diet - I've never had to put a cat on one before

now (and
I'm not sure is Sammy will need one or not yet). I have gathered

that you
don't want a cat to lose weight too fast.

I'm "pinging" Phil to this post - I think he may be able to help you.

Thanks. I added Mischief's name to the thread, so I can find it a bit
easier.

Hugs,

And Purrs.

Tony

P.S. Here's Mischief's "little" brother.
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley.../kahlua_01.jpg

Old April 20th 05, 12:49 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

These are some healthy boys. I really like that you have put objects
in the pictures to give us a sense of their size.

Old April 20th 05, 01:24 AM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

LOL! You have some gorgeous big boys there, Tony!

Have you tried feeding them canned? Mine were on dry their whole lives and
did quite well. Although I've heard others here say that their cats had
weight problems with dry, mine did not, they have never been sick or had
teeth problems, and their coat and eyes were always shiny and healthy.

However, my Bandit is now 15 and her creatinin and BUN levels were getting a
little bit above normal (quite common in older cats) and my vet suggested
feeding canned to help with that. They're getting 1 (tuna-sized) can in the
mornings and 1 at night for all four of them. They'll only sometimes eat
all of it, and they still get free-fed dry (I think anyone here will also
yell you it's better for a cat to eat *something*, even dry, rather than not
eating at all).

So, to sum up all the above verbiage, I would suggest trying to transition
them to canned if they'll eat it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 20th 05, 04:31 AM

CatNipped wrote:
LOL! You have some gorgeous big boys there, Tony!

Why, thank you. I took them in as adults when a very good friend was
having trouble keeping them. I had already cat-sat them and was
hooked.

Here's another picture. I wish I could sleep this restfully:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...a_sleeping.jpg

Have you tried feeding them canned?

I'm starting to. I used to feed the girls some canned food, but they
seemed to put on weight with the canned, at least one of them did.

Kahlua won't eat canned cat food. My other cats love the stuff... he
won't touch it.

Mine were on dry their whole lives and
did quite well. Although I've heard others here say that their cats

had
weight problems with dry, mine did not, they have never been sick or

had
teeth problems, and their coat and eyes were always shiny and

healthy.

I've usually had no problem with dry. I had a Siamese with some lung
problems. For a while, I was having troubling getting her to eat.
After much experimentation, I found that canned chicken livers & heart
was her favorite. However, with this hang, getting them to eat isn't
the problem.

However, my Bandit is now 15 and her creatinin and BUN levels were

getting a
little bit above normal (quite common in older cats) and my vet

suggested
feeding canned to help with that. They're getting 1 (tuna-sized) can

in the
mornings and 1 at night for all four of them. They'll only sometimes

eat
all of it, and they still get free-fed dry (I think anyone here will

also
yell you it's better for a cat to eat *something*, even dry, rather

than not
eating at all).

I understand. The girls are certainly used to being free-fed dry food.
It would be simpler with just one or two, instead of a herd. You
have four cats too, so you know.

So, to sum up all the above verbiage, I would suggest trying to

transition
them to canned if they'll eat it.

Thanks for the advice. I was getting that idea. They got a can
tonight.

Old April 20th 05, 03:02 PM
CatNipped

Well Tony, it looks like all the "experts" here (and I'm not talking about
Phil, who is busy with rescue work during kitten season) are busy off
flaming in off topic threads to chime in a try to help you with this.

Another shining example of "do as I say, not as I do".

I'm just sorry you and your cats have to do with their advice because of the
bickering and pettiness.

I tell you what, I'll go and google some of the things Phil has posted about
this in the past and post it in a bit.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 20th 05, 07:03 PM
Mary

equalizer wrote in message
news
On 19 Apr 2005 15:36:35 -0700, wrote:

Here's my Mischief, on "his" bed:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_01.jpg

Here's another shot of him laying on the floor. That's a standard
guitar next to him:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...and_guitar.jpg

Oh my.........god

I am not questioning Tony, but that cat looks so huge at first I
wondered if the photo was doctored. *I* for one would hesitate
before ****ing him off.

Old April 20th 05, 09:05 PM

Mary wrote:
equalizer wrote in message
news
Oh my.........god

I am not questioning Tony, but that cat looks so huge at first I
wondered if the photo was doctored. *I* for one would hesitate
before ****ing him off.

Mary, you wouldn't be the first to wonder that.

Here's a couple more, with objects for comparison. You can see how he
literally measures up on one.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_02.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_03.jpg

Sometimes I look at him and wonder if my eyes have been doctored,

BTW, he's the most loving cat I've ever known. He's such a happy guy.
Just purrs for the slightest reason. Except, every once in a while, he
goes after Kahlua. It's a sight to behold and feel, as the floor
shakes while 47 pounds of cat fight it out. Hey, I have on those up
there as well.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~a=ADwes...and_kahlua.jpg

Old April 20th 05, 09:08 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...

Just wandering in here...looking for cat diet advice. I saw your
posting and I have to say, Sammy doesn't seem big to me.

At least, not compared to what I'm used to.

Here's my Mischief, on "his" bed:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...ischief_01.jpg

Here's another shot of him laying on the floor. That's a standard
guitar next to him:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley...and_guitar.jpg

What the hell are you feeding him, small children?
That's a BIG cat.

*chuckles*

~kaeli~
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 20th 05, 09:17 PM

kaeli wrote:
What the hell are you feeding him, small children?

Anything he wants. You think I'm going to say no to him?

That's a BIG cat.

Yep.

-- Tony