Dot's unlucky playmate

Old May 15th 11, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Dot's unlucky playmate

Today, I heard a big commotion and a series of loud distressed squeals
coming from the kitchen. I thought that maybe a large bird had gotten
trapped in the range hood duct or something. I knew it wasn't another
cat, because the resident guard-cat, Buster, was cowering.

What I saw was Dot determinedly chasing something with a gray
fluffytale! I grabbed a towel and joined the chase, and what I caught
made my heart melt:

http://home.comcast.net/~Takayuki9z/squirrel.jpg

It was an overcurious yearling girl-squirrel that somehow managed to
find its way inside the house! I shut myself in a shower stall with
it, away from the cats, and checked it over. She remained docile and
put up almost no resistance, but she looked all right, and unwounded.
Dot has a very accurate kill-bite when it comes to mice and toys, but
she fortunately seemed to have been confounded in this case by the
agility, large size, and distracting bushy tail of this quarry.

When I was holding her inside, she seemed to have almost given up and
resigned herself to whatever fate or afterlife awaited captured
prey-squirrels. She knew now that she'd made the biggest mistake of
her life, and had entered a formidable den of death and despair.

When I carried her outside, the familiar sights and smells made her
immediately perk up and stir. I let her go, and watched her bound a
hundred feet away into the copse, barely touching the ground, like a
stone skipping on water. I hoped that I'd see her again, or perhaps
next year, a whole litter of her too-curious descendants.
Old May 15th 11, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

What a cutie! I'm glad you were able to rescue her.

Joy

Old May 16th 11, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I have very much missed you posting recently. You are so gentle and
insightful (is that a word?)
That squirrel nearly got the Darwin award.
We do have grey squirrels here in UK, but I have never heard of one being so
stupid as to enter a house - especially when there are cats in there!
Tweed

Old May 16th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I frequently leave my front door open (with the screendoor locked, of
course). It's true there is a gap between the screen and the doorjamb
plenty large enough to admit mice, but it would take an exceptionally
suicidal rodent to creep in under the noses of two active and alert cats!

Old May 17th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Christina Websell" wrote:
I have very much missed you posting recently. You are so gentle and
insightful (is that a word?)
That squirrel nearly got the Darwin award.
We do have grey squirrels here in UK, but I have never heard of one being so
stupid as to enter a house - especially when there are cats in there!

I'm still not even sure how she managed to get inside. Their curiosity
is as great as that of the kitties, and they're always getting into
mischief.

I'm just glad that I was home when they had the encounter, because the
odds are pretty bad for a squirrel when the only trees it has to climb
are cat trees.
Old May 19th 11, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

What a great post. I'm glad you rescued the little squirrel from the
den of death and despair. I love the image of her skipping away back to
freedom. And what a sweet picture.

Joyce

--
The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
Old May 19th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On May 16, 7:25*pm, Takayuki wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
I have very much missed you posting recently. *You are so gentle and
insightful (is that a word?)
That squirrel nearly got the Darwin award.
We do have grey squirrels here in UK, but I have never heard of one being so
stupid as to enter a house - especially when there are cats in there!

I'm still not even sure how she managed to get inside. Their curiosity
is as great as that of the kitties, and they're always getting into
mischief.

I'm just glad that I was home when they had the encounter, because the
odds are pretty bad for a squirrel when the only trees it has to climb
are cat trees.

Awwwww, what a cutie! Thank goodness you rescued it.

but what did Dot think when you ROBBED her of her prey and then LET IT
GO???!!!

Kristi
Old May 20th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

"Christina Websell" wrote:
I have very much missed you posting recently. *You are so gentle and
insightful (is that a word?)
That squirrel nearly got the Darwin award.
We do have grey squirrels here in UK, but I have never heard of one being so
stupid as to enter a house - especially when there are cats in there!

I'm still not even sure how she managed to get inside. Their curiosity
is as great as that of the kitties, and they're always getting into
mischief.

I'm just glad that I was home when they had the encounter, because the
odds are pretty bad for a squirrel when the only trees it has to climb
are cat trees.

Awwwww, what a cutie! *Thank goodness you rescued it.

but what did Dot think when you ROBBED her of her prey and then LET IT
GO???!!!

Kristi

Maybe Dot has a whole new respect for Tak. Now she sees him as a Great
Hunter --
even better than her. :-)

Sherry
Old May 20th 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 15, 12:24*am, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

So cute! (and so lucky). I hope she learned something!

Sherry
Old May 20th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote:
I have very much missed you posting recently. You are so gentle and
insightful (is that a word?)
That squirrel nearly got the Darwin award.
We do have grey squirrels here in UK, but I have never heard of one being
so
stupid as to enter a house - especially when there are cats in there!

I'm still not even sure how she managed to get inside. Their curiosity
is as great as that of the kitties, and they're always getting into
mischief.

I'm just glad that I was home when they had the encounter, because the
odds are pretty bad for a squirrel when the only trees it has to climb
are cat trees.

Awwwww, what a cutie! Thank goodness you rescued it.

but what did Dot think when you ROBBED her of her prey and then LET IT
GO???!!!
_______
She was probably relieved not to have to go for the killing bite as grey
squirrels have a big bite if they are threatened.
Sensible girl!
Although Boyfriend shows off about his ratting prowess he only gets the baby
ones secret that are not that much bigger than mice.
*Because* the big rats have teeth like chisels and he is not daft. I've
seen him outside watch a very big rat go past, he saw it for sure and just
washed himself like "I did not see that one.."
KFC used to do that too and as he was her apprentice maybe she taught him
the size of rat that was sensible to attack. She was a very small cat, so
maybe he could do a bit bigger one ;-)
Tweed

Dot's not old, is she? Takayuki Cat anecdotes 1 December 12th 09 05:56 PM
Dot's anxiety Takayuki Cat anecdotes 24 August 7th 07 06:28 AM
Dot's day of adventure Takayuki Cat anecdotes 7 June 26th 07 03:22 AM
cat too old for playmate? Camilla Cracchiolo Cat health & behaviour 6 May 23rd 06 06:44 PM
cross your fingers for Unlucky Sue Cat health & behaviour 1 June 21st 05 12:36 AM