Whatcha' see, Persia?

Old December 6th 03, 12:45 AM
jmcquown

Default Whatcha' see, Persia?

Last weekend it got sort of chilly in the Memphis, TN area. So I brought in
a couple of logs to build a fire. There was a ladybug on one of the logs,
which surprised me; I'd figured they'd all be dead by now. I took the
ladybug and placed it on the one remaining plant I have (after Persia
freaked at seeing that neighbors cat and knocked over the plant stand).

Apparently that ladybug is still alive. Last night I was on the sofa,
watching some TV. I had a pillow I was resting my head on. Out of the
corner of my eye I saw this lady bug walking around on the pillow by my
face! I put my hand out and it crawled on my finger and I took it back over
to the plant.

A short while later, Persia was snuggled next to me on the sofa. Suddenly
she started staring up at the ceiling and turning her head from side to
side. (I've got a 22-foot vaulted ceiling in my living room.) I looked up.
Whatcha' see, Persia?! After some intense scrutiny (and a little squinting
on my part!) I saw it. Persia spotted the ladybug, who apparently doesn't
like my plant very much. It was walking around waaaay up there on the
ceiling!

What amazing eyesight they have.

Jill

Old December 8th 03, 03:06 PM
c.dossman

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

Not to freak you out, but more than likely it is an asian beetle that
looks just like a lady bug but actually bites and emits an unpleasent
odor when provoked. We had them big time in Ohio this year due to the
over abundance of aphids and the beetles will hibernate in your house for
the winter and return out in spring. I got bit three times on the golf
course this fall and it hurts like hell.
Just an FYI
Old December 8th 03, 04:03 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

"c.dossman" wrote in message
.. .
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

Saw a write-up of them in the local paper, they are Japanese Ladybird
Beetles. They were imported during the 80's 'nature craze' and sold to
gardeners to set free in to combat the aphid problem. Unfortunately, the
climate over here is much more to their liking than their native, and they
turned out very prolific (same thing happened in the 1920's/30's with a
handy-dandy ground cover called Kudzu - those of you in the southern states
will be familiar with it - grows over 1 foot a day here in the states, I've
been told)
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

..

Old December 9th 03, 01:17 PM
Stacey

"c.dossman" wrote in message SNIP
Not to freak you out, but more than likely it is an asian beetle that
looks just like a lady bug but actually bites and emits an unpleasent odor
when provoked.SNIP

Oh just GREAT. Now I can't even trust a ladybug!

Next thing you're going to tell me is that harmless house flys are actually
Africanized Killer Flies!!!!

Stacey (who HATES bugs)

Old December 10th 03, 12:45 PM
Adrian

Stacey wrote:
SNIP
Next thing you're going to tell me is that harmless house flys are
actually Africanized Killer Flies!!!!

Oh, so you've heard about them too? evil grin
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.