Need help with cat problem

Old February 8th 04, 08:41 PM
Monica

Default Need help with cat problem

Hi,

I have a cat that is urinating all over the place (he is a 6 years old
persian cat). We found him almost a year ago, and has run away about five
times now, coming back all of them. After he came back the first time, he
starting urinating on top of tables (only if we left something there, like a
vase, or market bags. If the top of the tables are clear, he does not mark
them). Little by little is getting worse, or we are simply acknowledging
more (all over the sofas, corners, bottom of dressers, tables, some clothes,
bed comforter, remote left on coffe table, rugs, carpet, wine box, bath
towels, etc..). He also uses the litter box sometimes.

We have been to the vet, and after tests she did not find anything medically
wrong with him.

We also tried feliway, spray and plug ins, with some consistency with no
good results.

We also have another cat that we have had since 3 months old (he is almost 4
years old now), and gets along kind of ok with my little problem cat.
Usually sleep close to each other, but they usually extend their paws when
passing by the side of the other, and always see them running after each
other and fighting a bit (they take turns escaping), but after a while they
are ok. We also have a 13 year old cocker spaniel, and gets along great
with anybody and the cats don't mind her a bit.

We are thinking now it is something he does not like but do not have a clue
as to what to try. Maybe he does not like my other cat? Or maybe wants to
be outside all the time (we are treating him as an indoor cat). Or the
food? Or wants to be the only cat? I really need help, I had my sofas
cleaned a few weeks ago, but did not help that much, and they are all marked
up again and are embarrased to bring in anybody in since the whole house
smells so bad. He is very sweet and we love him very much, but would like
to make him feel happy with us too.

Thanks a bunch,

Monica

Old February 8th 04, 10:07 PM
Monica

Yes, he is. I forgot to mentioned. He was already neutered when we found
him a year ago. My other cat and dog are also neutered.

Thanks,

Monica

From: "Monica"

He is very sweet and we love him very much, but would like
to make him feel happy with us too.

Is he neutered?
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Old February 8th 04, 10:36 PM
Mary

"Monica" wrote in message
Yes, he is. I forgot to mentioned. He was already neutered when we

found
him a year ago. My other cat and dog are also neutered.

Good for you. How many cat boxes do you have, and how are they
situated? I am thinking of privacy and peace, which some cats need
more than others where their boxes are.

Another issue is that some cats just need cleaner boxes than others.
Are you scooping them every day? To be clean they should be scooped at
least once a day and washed out with the litter changed every two
weeks, I find.

Old February 8th 04, 11:45 PM
MacCandace

Yes, he is. I forgot to mentioned. He was already neutered when we found
him a year ago. My other cat and dog are also neutered.

Thanks,

Monica

You sound very devoted to him and that's nice. So many people are ready to
"get rid" of them when they have issues like this. I hope some people here
have good advice for you. From what I understand, Feliway takes awhile to kick
in. You said you had used it with "some consistency." Have you used it
consistently for a month or 2?

It sounds as though he is indoor/outdoor? While I am an advocate for indoor
only cats, I can see where, in a case like this that just doesn't resolve, I
might have to make a cat an outdoor cat if nothing else works or maybe he just
needs to be indoor/outdoor? Do you live in a relatively cat-safe neighborhood?
Of course, there may always be danger lurking even in a safe neighborhood and
I would only do this as a last resort.

Also as an almost last resort, isn't there a medication that sometimes helps?
I can't recall what it is and I know it doesn't always work but I think it does
sometimes. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is...maybe welbutrol or
something like that? I'm sure your vet would have an idea or do a Google
search.

I hope someone else has some concrete advice for you. Good luck wth him. He
sounds lucky to have such an understanding mom.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)