OT - Need some computer advice

Old March 17th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT - Need some computer advice

I'm now on Dennis' laptop because my computer is getting shipped. I have no
clue what he does, he doesn't know much about computers. But there's been
some kind of spammy software installed that causes a window to appear about
every 5 min while online. It says:
Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on (exact time and date)
Your system registry is corrupted and needs to be cleaned immediately.
(Then it tells you all these terrible things can happen with compromised
registry files and it tells you to go to a website to download the program
that will fix it. The URL is always different but they all take you to the
same site. The last URL was www.FixReg32.com.
How in the world can I get rid of this? It's soooooo annoying!
--
Britta

Old March 18th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 10:27:06a, badwilson wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I'm now on Dennis' laptop because my computer is getting
shipped. I have no clue what he does, he doesn't know much
about computers. But there's been some kind of spammy software
installed that causes a window to appear about every 5 min while
online. It says: Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on (exact time
and date) Your system registry is corrupted and needs to be
cleaned immediately. (Then it tells you all these terrible
things can happen with compromised registry files and it tells
you to go to a website to download the program that will fix it.
The URL is always different but they all take you to the same
site. The last URL was www.FixReg32.com. How in the world can I
get rid of this? It's soooooo annoying! --
Britta

Sounds like the Win fixer 2005 thingie I got a while back. It *was*
annoying. I ended up getting a spyware stopper app. Not a free
one, but none of the free ones could rid me of the Win fixer hell.
I bought Webroot Spy Sweeper. Haven't been afflicted since.

I did a google search for FixReg32 and found a few hits, but maybe
it's a new version of the same malware as Win Fixer because there's
not much out there. One result that I found sounds like what you
have, but I wouldn't recommend going to the page with your laptop
since it doesn't seem secure. I'll copy and paste some of the text
for you:

http://elamb.blogharbor.com/hacked/m...ystemalert.htm

********** WARNING - DON'T CLICK ON ANY OF THE LINKS IN THE QUOTED
TEXT I'VE PASTED BELOW *************

********** Y O U H A V E B E E N W A R N E D **********

The infamous "Message from System to Alert" message. This could
mean you have a virus or some other type of malware, but more than
likely its worse than that... more than likely you have NO SECURITY
on your system. You have nothing protecting the ports that allow
applications to communicate messages in and out of your system.
Ports are very useful, but if left unchecked they can kick your
ass.

Here is how to get rid of those messages.
1) Get a firewall. I recommend the Linksys Router using something
called Network Address Translation (NAT). They can be purchase for
as little as $20 dollars (or even less with mail in rebates).
If you can't afford it, get youself a free software firewall like
Jetico, it is better than nothing. If you are getting "message from
system" alerts than you have NO security.

2) One you get your firewall, use Internet Explorer as little as
possible use this in stead:

Note: If you suspect that your system has a virus go click here!

Here are variations of the Message from [xxx] to [xxx]
spam/malware/exploit:
"Message from System to Alert"

"message from system to alert stop this message"

"message from system to alert spyware"

"Message from From to To"

"Messenger Service"

"Message from SECURITY MONITOR to WINDOWS USER"

"Message from System to User"

"Message from SYSTEM to ERROR"

"Message from Microsoft to System"

"STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION"

"Your system files can be corrupted by some outer virus invasion"

"Your Windows is infected. You must choose

Some of the messages are from companies promoting their security
software (99% of which has no credibility and God only knows what
it will do to your system once on it). But some of these message
are from criminal sources that seek to comprimise the privacy
and/or integrity of your personal data. Beware.

MORE EXAMPLES OF THE MESSAGE FROM SYSTEM TO ALERT

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 1/10/2006

Critical System Error! The Windows registry appears to be infected.
Please go to the Universal Regiestry Infection Cleaner at
http://www.uric.net to scan and repair the system registry.

Messenger Service

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on MM/D/YYYY PM

SYSTEM ERROR!

System Error detected in C:\WINDOWS\system32 Windows suggests
visiting www.cleanthispc.com
to download free repair tool

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on (Date)

CRITICAL SYSTEM ERROR DETECTED

Windows has detected a critical error in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

KB#74232 Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Allows Remote Code
Execution

Visit www.pcspywarescan.com for Urgent Repair

Message from SECURITY MONITOR to WINDOWS USER on MM/D/YYYY H:MM:SS
PM

Important Windows Security Bulletin
===================================

Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Allows Remote Code Execution,
Virus Infection and Unexpected Computer Shutdowns

Affected Softwa

Microsoft Windows NT Workstation
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Win98
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Non Affected Softwa

Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition

Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below
!
FIRST TYPE THE ADDRESS BELOW INTO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER, THEN CLICK
'OK'.
THE ADDRESS WILL DISAPEAR ONCE YOU CLICK 'OK'.

www.updatepatch.info

Message from FROM to TO on 10/8/2005 H:MM:SS PM

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 48 Critical System Errors.

To fix errors please do the following:

1. Download Repair Registry Pro from: www.refixup.com
2. Install Repair Registry Pro
3. Run Repair Registry Pro
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!

Message from System to User on MM/d/yyyy H:MM:SS PM

Warning!

We detected a dangerous Virus installed on your computer but was
unable
to remove it. This Virus allow companies/users to monitor your
Internet browsing patterns.
It is recommended that you install the latest software to remove
these by going to:

www.fixms.com

Message from SYSTEM to ERROR on MM/D/YYY H:MM:SS PM

Windows has encountered an Internal Error
Your windows registry is corrupted.

We recommend a complete system scan.

Visit

http://FixReg32.com

To repair now

Message from Microsoft to System on MM/D/YYYY H:MM:SS PM

Microsoft Windows has encountered an Inernal Error
Your windows registry is corrupted.
Microsoft recommends a complete system scan.

Microsoft recommends

http://myregfix.com

To repair now

Message from STOP to ALERT on XX/X/XXXX X: X

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

WINDOWS HAS FOUND 67 CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS!

To fix the errors please do the following:

1. Download Registry Repair from: www.ms-repari.com
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW WILL LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION!

WWW.MS-REPAIR.COM

Message from SYSTEM to ERROR on XX/X/XXXX X: X

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS

To fix the errors please do the following:

1. Download Registry Repair from: www.regcleanse.com
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW WILL LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION!

Message from FROM to TO on 12/3/2005 H:MM:SS PM

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 47 Critical System Errors.

To fix errors please do the following:

1. Download Repair Registry Pro from: www.fixnow.net
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!

Message from FROM to TO on xx/x/xxxx H:MM:SS PM

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 49 Critical System Errors.

To fix errors please do the following:

1. Download Repair Registry Pro from: www.regfixit.com
2. Install Repair Update
3. Run Registry Update

1. Download Repair Registry Pro from: www.scanfix.net
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!

To Fix it:
DISABLE WINDOWS MESSENGER SERVICE

Make sure the Messenger service on your system is disabled.

*Note: Turning off Messenger service will NOT secure your system
from the REAL threats of worms, trojans and other malware that can
steal passwords and account info.

Windows 2K -- Go to Start | Control Panel | Admin tools | and
Select "Services"
Once in services locate the "Messenger" service. Right click it and
Select STOP.

Windows XP -- Go to Start | Control Panel (Category View) |
Performance and Maintenance (if you are in the "classic" view Use
Win2K instruction) | Admin tools | Services | Locate "Messenger"
then right click and Select STOP.

--
Cheryl
Old March 18th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 10:26:10p, Cheryl Sellner wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Oh, and Britta, the following instructions really had no effect
when I was infected with the malware. I disabled the messenger
service, but the malware kept enabling it until it was completely
removed. I wish I could remember the name of the malware app, but
it can be installed just by visiting a site that downloads to your
system completely transparently. That's why it's so important to
not click on just any link these days. And I even have a router
with a hardware firewall. It didn't stop it.

Old March 19th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in news:48194jFi21uuU1
@individual.net:

How in the world can I get rid of this? It's soooooo annoying!

Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, Spybot Search & Destroy. They're all free.

Chak

--
I would like at least one political party in this country to be willing
to say that sex is fun and an important part of being human.
Old March 20th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
I'm now on Dennis' laptop because my computer is getting shipped. I
have no clue what he does, he doesn't know much about computers. But
there's been some kind of spammy software installed that causes a
window to appear about every 5 min while online. It says:
Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on (exact time and date)
Your system registry is corrupted and needs to be cleaned immediately.
(Then it tells you all these terrible things can happen with
compromised registry files and it tells you to go to a website to
download the program that will fix it. The URL is always different
but they all take you to the same site. The last URL was
www.FixReg32.com.
How in the world can I get rid of this? It's soooooo annoying!

First thing you do, run a virus scan on your PC. Hopefully you have
antivirus software, yes?

Second, go to 'my computer' and 'add/remove programs'. Anything that says
it's "Win" whatever, get rid of it. Microsoft doesn't identify authorized
programs starting with the word "Win". Remove it.

Now, you can download Adaware, which is a freeware program that will stop
popups and screen out things that attempt to use your computer to track your
online purchases. Spyware programs cost a little bit but I'd invest in one
of those, too. I use Spyware Doctor and run a scan once a week.

Now about that cat... He can't teleport if you don't open up the correct
internet ports! (teasing) I want more pics of Vino!! Cute little cat with
a stub of a tail deserves more worldwide attention!

Jill