A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

Old February 19th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mikey

Default A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

I need some advice on an unfortunate accident.

I had a cat that was an outdoor only cat. I wish I could've brought
him inside but I had no control in that matter as my parents wouldn't
allow it. Recently, the cat was attacked by a dog and as soon as I
heard the commotion I ran outside to get the cat. He was alive laying
on his back with his paws in the air. I immediately rushed him to the
emergency vet hospital. They said there were no puncture wounds but
his back legs and tail weren't moving and that he was paralyzed. They
took several xrays and determined there was no spinal damage, no
internal bleeding that they could see, and everything else looked ok.
His bladder was empty and he did have stool in his colon. They said it
was possible that damage could've been done to the bladder but weren't
sure. They had no idea what was causing the paralysis and it could be
shock or that damage was done to the spine. I think they were
suggesting that the dog could've picked the cat up and should him hard
enough to cause damage to the spine even though it was fine on the
xray. They also said his temperature went from 96 to 94 and they were
trying to warm him up but his temp. was dropping. It's possible he
could've already had a low temp from just being/living outside. They
gave him what looked like 0.3 to 0.6mg of Buprenorphine, 4mg of
Dexamethasone, and 200mg of Ampicillin. They wanted to keep him
overnight but one of my parents had a cow about the cost and insisted
the cat was simply in shock and would be fine in a day or two.

So I took the cat home against my better judgement. About 40min to 1hr
later I noticed him breathing strange and moving around a lot. I
decided to take him back right away. Unfortunately, he died before we
got there.

I asked the vet if there was a possibility that he would've died even
if I had left him there. They couldn't answer that but did say they
could've slowed it down. They also said that the cat had a bowel
movement shortly before it died. I think it happened before we left
the house and that was part of the reason he was moving around in his
box so much and was so distressed.

I am upset about what happened but I think it was something that was
supposed to happen, it was predestined. I won't say why but I just
have this feeling that everything was already mapped out and nothing
could've changed what happened.

One of the things bugging me the most is that I have no idea what the
medical reason was of why he died. The vet didn't seem to know either.
They had no idea what caused the paralysis, no idea why his temp. was
falling and no idea of what caused him to die. I know it's not really
important now, but I'd really like to have some idea of what happened.
It just seems odd that if the xrays were normal and there was no
internal bleeding that could've he died so soon, unless something was
seriously wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have been wrong?

The dog that bit him, had bit a person a while back and the person
said that there was no puncture wounds (just a scrape). However, they
ended up with a gigantic bruise that hurt very badly with a sharp
stinging pain. It was at least 6 inches wide and 6 inches long and was
deep purple. A few months later there is still a dull pain and either
a light brown bruise there or some sort of permanent skin damage that
leaves a light brown color (they're not sure which). If the dog bit a
person that hard for only a few seconds and left that kind of damage,
I wonder what damage it could've done to a small 9 pound cat that
maybe wasn't visible with an xray.

So having said all that, I would like to hear opinions about this
situation. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas on why the cat died. I
realize I'll never know for sure but if something like this should
ever happen again (it better not), I'd like to be prepared.

Old February 19th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In article . com,
"Mikey" wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have been wrong?

I'm so sorry about your cat. I suggest that the vet did not do any
diagnostic work on the brain. If the dog shook the cat severely, even
briefly, it could easily have caused injuries to the brain similar to
the horrific injuries seen in the "shaken child" syndrome. That would
explain all the symptoms you mention. Moreover, brain injuries can occur
quickly, without visible injury to anything else-- also a condition seen
in abused children.

I suspect his injuries were probably fatal before you rescued him.

Again, condolences for your loss.
Old February 19th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
have been admitted for obs and fluids.

Old February 19th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mikey

silvercelt wrote:
The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
have been admitted for obs and fluids.

I just looked at the paperwork and it shows he was given fluids. They
did try to warm him with blankets and special heating/water bottles.
They actually sent two of these bottles with me when I took him home.

I might take him to my regular vet today if I decide to have him
cremated. They were faxed all the paperwork about what happened so I
might ask them if they can offer an opinion. They might have one but I
doubt they'd give it to me.

Now I can't make up my mind if I should bury him or have him cremated.
His brother who he was close to is buried in my backyard and I want
them to be together. But we still have hard ice covering the ground
and it may not be possible to bury him until later in the week
(Wednesday or Thursday). That could cause odor problems and he smells
as it is (sorry). I actually prefer cremation but I do want him with
his brother. I could scatter his ashes on his brother's grave once the
ice melts. But then I feel like it's not the same. Or I could pour his
ashes in a box and bury those beside his brother once the ice melts.
But then what do I do with the urn? I really don't want to bury that,
it doesn't seem right. I can't decide what to do and I need to make a
decision soon, like today. Decisions, decisions.

I've never had a problem with these decisions before. But somehow,
this is different. Oddly, I'm not even angry at the dog owner. I was
when it happened but cooled off fairly quickly. I'm not even all that
upset because I'm sure it was meant to happen and I did everything I
could. In the past, I've made lousy decisions in emergency situations
but this time I know I made the right decisions. Or maybe I'm in shock
and it will hit me later in the week.

Old February 19th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I would also be concerned about the dog. It should not be allowed to
run free. If I had been bitten I would have insisted on a rabies test
or at least confinement to see if the dog had rabies. The dog's owner
leaves himself open to expensive lawsuits when people are bitten.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 19th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible other
incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can be
labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.

The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain indicated
possible nerve damage.

"Mikey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 19th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 19 Feb, 09:25, "Mikey" wrote:
[...]

he probably died of shock and also compression of the brain if he was
picked up and shaken around by the big dog byt he sounds of it.

i am VERY disappointed/saddened/angry at your parents reaction as
their selfishness did not help the situation and their insistence that
the cat stay outdoors certainly put the poor little fellow at risk
from attack by other animals such as this dog. Part of the reason this
happened inthe first place is because of them refusing to let the cat
live indoors and part of the reason he may have suffered and died
after the event is also down to them for being so tight about paying
vets bills and making you take the cat home when he so obviously
needed urgent and professional medical attention.

when you take on an domestic animal you take on a BIG responsibility
as you know, and it is down to you to care for and protect the animal
as it cannot do so for itself.

this may sound harsh but if your folks are giong to be so uptight and
hard-nosed about you keepgin animals indoors then maybe it would be
best if you didn't get another cat? it is a shame because you
obviously care for them but making you keep it outside is not the best
for the cat and puts them at risk of attack as this episode has
clearly shown, so unless you can get your parents to change their
minds (and this attack woudl be excellent back-up for you!) maybe it
woudl be better to wait until you have a place of your own before oyu
get another puss.

sorry if that sounds harsh but this kind of thing makes me really
angry when animals in distress are denied the help they need because
someone doesn't want to spend a bit of cash, my sincerest condolences
for your loss though, at least he is safe and warm in heaven now and
no dogs can get him

bookie

Old February 19th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mikey

Matthew wrote:
Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible other
incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can be
labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.

The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain indicated
possible nerve damage.

I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
of my cat's.

Old February 19th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:25:15 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

So having said all that, I would like to hear opinions about this
situation. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas on why the cat died.

The paralysis strongly suggests spinal cord injury. Not all spinal cord
injuries are visible on xray, but anything at this point is pure
speculation--including whether or not the vet could have saved him since he
should have been left there for further treatment.

--
Lynne
Old February 19th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
of my cat's.

Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.

--
Lynne