Help--Am I at Risk for Rabies?

Old March 18th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Help--Am I at Risk for Rabies?

wrote in message
On Mar 17, 5:46 am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

By far the most serious medical condition you've mentioned is
your own hypochondriacal anxiety. That can be a symptom of any
of several very serious forms of mental illness ranging from
clinical depression (been there, done that) to OCD or paranoid
schizophrenia. Most of them are treatable. Get THAT looked at.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k ===
http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob
07800 739 557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac
logic fonts

Well, at least you made me laugh. I don't think I'm mentally ill,
actually. I've always been pretty level-headed and down-to-earth and
realistic about my own sanity. I am a worrier and I get temporarily
obsessed by things but then it passes. I'm just about over this
particular one. Ebony was neutered today and I was going to leave him
at the vet for a few more days but the state epidemiology department
thinks it unnecessary so I'll probably get him out in a day or 2. They
said there's essentially zero chance the hamster had rabies and zero
chance, that if it did, it passed it on to Ebony who could then pass
it on to me so quickly. They did mention we have rabid bats around so
I temporarily worried about that for awhile. Who would ever know if
an outdoor cat got a bat? No one. And don't tell me to keep them
inside--these are stray/feral cats I'm feeding and getting neutered--
they can't all live inside with me. Today was the third in a week,
all at my own personal cost. I hope to get another later this week, a
pregnant female, and then I'm taking a break for a week or 2 before I
start up again. This makes me crazy!!!!!!!!! But not to the point
where I need treatment--to the point where I need a break so I can
deal with all the other **** in my life like work, finances,
relationships, my own little kitties, all that crap we all have to
attend to.

And to those who were worried that some agency would want to snatch
Ebony and euthanize him--well, lucky for him, but not one agency I
spoke to was at all concerned about him or his risk to humans or even
the fact that I said I had several cats who are not yet vaccinated. I
guess that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you
look at it. And the state would not test the hamster, even if I paid
for it myself. So, end of that sad story.

My bite marks are almost gone. I never did take the abx. The fear of
having the severe trots outweighed the fear of infection and I watched
it closely.

Oh, and the state said no one responsible would give me rabies shots
based on this incident and the prophylactic rabies shots are $900, not
covered by insurance so guess I won't be getting those either.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the shrink recommendation, Jack.

Candace

*********

I'm glad you are the sort of person to take what Jack said in good
spirits.

I have no idea what leads a person to obsess over something like that.
My niece is the same way, and otherwise is a very level headed and
sensible person. About drove her parents crazy sometimes. She now
has two small children herself and I sometimes wonder how she handles
the little emergencies that kids tend to deal out. Like you, she
knows perfectly well she is obsessing and over reacting, but it just
gets away from her sometimes.

Jo

Old March 18th 09, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Very glad you're better, Candace. I think what you're doing for the
stray/ferals is wonderful and I'm sorry for all the worry/anxiety/pain you
went through this past weekend.
Christine

Old March 19th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

I still drive my poor mom crazy...and Tony...and some of my friends.
I apparently do it all in way that is somewhat entertaining for others
to experience, though, so I don't really drive people away, I guess.

Candace
Old March 20th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

. ..

"Jofirey" wrote in message

We had a rabies problem in Marysville, CA several years ago. There
are a lot of bats near the rivers, and an exceptionally large skunk
population in Marysville which is surrounded by rivers. Bats can
carry rabies without showing ill effect, I believe. So can skunks.
(not sure on skunks, I've heard to stay away from one that is out
in daylight)

Jo

I think I would want to stay away from a skunk that is out at *any*
time of day! BG

MaryL

We have a huge skunk problem in Marysville, so animal control will try
to trap and relocate them. But they won't mess with one that is
wandering about during the day. That's the first sign of rabies in
skunks.

Jo

Old March 29th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jofirey" wrote in message

. ..

"Jofirey" wrote in message

We had a rabies problem in Marysville, CA several years ago. There are
a lot of bats near the rivers, and an exceptionally large skunk
population in Marysville which is surrounded by rivers. Bats can carry
rabies without showing ill effect, I believe. So can skunks. (not sure
on skunks, I've heard to stay away from one that is out in daylight)

Jo

I think I would want to stay away from a skunk that is out at *any* time
of day! BG

MaryL

We have a huge skunk problem in Marysville, so animal control will try to
trap and relocate them. But they won't mess with one that is wandering
about during the day. That's the first sign of rabies in skunks.

Jo

Yes, that't true. Skunks are nocturnal animals, and it is always best to be
wary of any nocturnal animal that is seen during the day. I was just trying
to be a bit facetious when I said that I would want to stay away from a
skunk at *any* time. I guess the humor didn't come through.

MaryL

Old March 29th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

MaryL wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote in message

. ..

"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know about the humor, but it is just good common sense. MLB