It's okay! It was just a ******* Cat Trick! He's back!

Old May 22nd 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

Default It's okay! It was just a ******* Cat Trick! He's back!

This afternoon when John came home from work, Stripy Thing met us at
the top of the stairs and he doesn't look any the worse for wear... he
wasn't even particularly hungry! So I really do suspect that he has a
'sometimes home' tucked away where there aren't any other felines to
annoy him.

He followed me upstairs and demanded his food, so I got some out for
him... and no sooner had he started eating then guess what? ANOTHER
cat showed up! There's a little tabby who hangs around the building
sometimes and s/he really IS semi-feral - they don't want anyone to
get near them and they run away fast if you try to get too close for
comfort. I was absolutely amazed to see Tabby Two actually creeping up
the stairs and along the landing towards the food dish... the bad
thing is that s/he was hungry enough to try to take Stripy Things dish
from him, and Stripy Thing is cat-hatingish enough to back off and let
him have it! I really don't want to feed every stray cat in the
neighbourhood... a procession of felines to my door would definitely
bring the wrath of the building association down on my head! But what
else could I do? There was plenty of soaked kibble in the fridge, so I
got a bowl out for Tabby Two and put it down at the other side of our
apartment. Then they could BOTH have dinner, and Tabby Two was far
enough away from me not to be too scared to eat... S/he devoured the
kibble and I think they'd have licked the paint right off the bowl if
I left it down there... but Stripy Thing wasn't particularly hungry.
He only ate half of his food, and I'm not sure if it was because of
'the other cat' staring at him, or just because somebody else is
feeding him too... I put the rest of his food into the fridge and I'll
give it to him next time I see him. And I wonder if I'll see Tabby Two
again?

Just call me the neighbourhood cat woman!
Old May 22nd 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kajikit wrote:

This afternoon when John came home from work, Stripy Thing met us at
the top of the stairs and he doesn't look any the worse for wear... he
wasn't even particularly hungry! So I really do suspect that he has a
'sometimes home' tucked away where there aren't any other felines to
annoy him.

That's a relief! I'm glad he's OK. It's funny how some cats have these
various other households in a neighborhood where they can get fed and
maybe some other care as well. Kind of like bigamists who have a whole
other secret family in another city.

[...]

Hmm, that sounds like a pleasant euphemism for "local crazy cat lady".

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 23rd 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 22, 1:41*pm, Kajikit wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm glad he returned! That is how it all started with me with
our outdoor cats and tonight there were 11 for dinner!!!!! That's not
even all of them, counting the ones who drop in occasionally.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I had a neighbor yell at me for feeding her cat. I informed her I was
feeding these other four and if hers came up and wanted to eat, since I
couldn't see well enough to say who was who, I wasn't about the chase them
all away. She just went back in her house grumbling. So sad, too bad.
NOT!

Old May 23rd 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Fri, 22 May 2009 23:44:46 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

I had a neighbor yell at me for feeding her cat. I informed her I was
feeding these other four and if hers came up and wanted to eat, since I
couldn't see well enough to say who was who, I wasn't about the chase them
all away. She just went back in her house grumbling. So sad, too bad.
NOT!

I'm not really supposed to be feeding ANY outside cats... All the
management said so far is 'don't leave pet food outside'... hopefully
they won't say 'don't feed animals'. but I can't turn anyone away from
my door hungry, be they feathered, furred or bare-skinned. God wants
us to feed the hungry and help the helpless and you can't get much
more needy than a poor stray kitty.
Old May 23rd 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 22, 1:41*pm, Kajikit wrote:
This afternoon when John came home from work, Stripy Thing met us at
the top of the stairs and he doesn't look any the worse for wear... he
wasn't even particularly hungry! So I really do suspect that he has a
'sometimes home' tucked away where there aren't any other felines to
annoy him.

Great news! I was worried about Stripey Thing

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 23rd 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Granby wrote:

I had a neighbor yell at me for feeding her cat. I informed her I was
feeding these other four and if hers came up and wanted to eat, since I
couldn't see well enough to say who was who, I wasn't about the chase them
all away. She just went back in her house grumbling. So sad, too bad.
NOT!

Well, hopefully if she'd been nicer about it, you would have been willing
to try to work something out with her.

A neighbor of mine had been feeding Smudge because she was out there
yowling and begging for food. Then she'd come home, eat two bites of the
very high-quality stuff I bought for her, and want to go back out. I'd
try to get her to eat more, but she just wasn't interested. She had more
"fun" food at the neighbor's house.

I finally talked to the neighbor and asked her not to feed Smudge anymore.
She agreed to that, and now Smudge comes home for her meals, eats them,
and actually wants to spend some time here! Things have improved a huge
amount simply because she doesn't get her meals elsewhere anymore.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 23rd 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Granby wrote:

[...]

If my cat is out, I figure I really am in no position to object if
someone else feeds her. My best guess is there are at least five
people on this street that have cat food available outside, and only
three of them have cats. The rest just like the company.

Jo

Old May 24th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I put food out twice a day and did tell her the times and she could come sit
on my patio and shoo her cat away if she wanted. So far no show. I know
people don't like it but, I would rather get yelled at by one person than
let three or four go without.

Old May 24th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 22, 3:41*pm, Kajikit wrote:
[...]

Woops! I replied to the other post before I read this one. So glad
he's okay.
You haven't mentioned Scout, Silver or Tessie lately, (Or else I've
skipped posts) how are they?

Sherry