Cloudy Cornea

Old May 30th 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Medea

Default Cloudy Cornea

My beautiful 16 pound Siamese marked longhair, overnight
developed a mildly clouded cornea. The left eye is bright blue and
clear, but the right eye is mildy cloudy. The pupil reacts to light,
the eye does not seem irritated or running, and it does not seem to
bother him. The right eye looks gray because of the clouding and
the pupil not as black as the left eye. I can't get him to his regular
vet before Tuesday, and don't want to take him to the emergency vet
who is miles away.

Has anyine ever heard of a condition like this? I'm almost positive
it not a catariac, since it happened overnight.

Any info please advise. I am very worried. The cat seems normal in
every other way.

Thank you for any help.
Medea

Old May 30th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:58:23 -0400, Medea wrote:

My beautiful 16 pound Siamese marked longhair, overnight
developed a mildly clouded cornea. The left eye is bright blue and
clear, but the right eye is mildy cloudy. The pupil reacts to light,
the eye does not seem irritated or running, and it does not seem to
bother him. The right eye looks gray because of the clouding and
the pupil not as black as the left eye. I can't get him to his regular
vet before Tuesday, and don't want to take him to the emergency vet
who is miles away.

Has anyine ever heard of a condition like this? I'm almost positive
it not a catariac, since it happened overnight.

Any info please advise. I am very worried. The cat seems normal in
every other way.

Thank you for any help.
Medea

Since it happened overnight, it is most likely an infection of some
kind. *Probably* a bacterial infection, since viral infections are
usually slower 'growing'.

Emergency vets are VERY expensive, but if it IS a bacterial infection,
taking him in ASAP could mean the difference between the eye making a
complete recovery, and perhaps having permanent damage, and even
blindness, due to delay.

Eye infection are particularly bad because the body's immune system is
not active, at ALL, in the anterior portion of the eye: where the lens
is.

If you can afford the emergency vet, I would get him there ASAP!

Good luck, and keep us posted, please!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100530-1, 05/30/2010
Tested on: 5/30/2010 3:20:21 PM

Old May 30th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Medea" wrote in message

My beautiful 16 pound Siamese marked longhair, overnight
developed a mildly clouded cornea. The left eye is bright blue and
clear, but the right eye is mildy cloudy. The pupil reacts to light,
the eye does not seem irritated or running, and it does not seem to
bother him. The right eye looks gray because of the clouding and
the pupil not as black as the left eye. I can't get him to his regular
vet before Tuesday, and don't want to take him to the emergency vet
who is miles away.

Has anyine ever heard of a condition like this? I'm almost positive
it not a catariac, since it happened overnight.

Any info please advise. I am very worried. The cat seems normal in
every other way.

Thank you for any help.
Medea

Do not delay! This decision could be the difference between blindness and
saving his sight. I would try to call his regular vet and see if a vet is
on call even if your regular vet does not answer. Otherwise, it is worth
the drive to get to an emergency vet.

Good luck with this, but *please* do not put it off.

MaryL

Old May 31st 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 30, 4:09�pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Medea" wrote in message

[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

I agree with MaryL, if you haven't already done so. Try to call your
regular vet and see if someone is on call or just go to the emergency
vet.

Having a cat with eye problems, things can change quickly and possibly
for the worse. Good luck.
Old May 31st 10, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote :
Having a cat with eye problems, things can change quickly and possibly
for the worse. Good luck.

I am just trying to imagine finding my cat with a cloudy eye and not packing
her up immediately and finding any vet that is open, however far away.

Old May 31st 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (5/30/2010 8:25 PM):
"Rene S." wrote :
Having a cat with eye problems, things can change quickly and possibly
for the worse. Good luck.

I am just trying to imagine finding my cat with a cloudy eye and not packing
her up immediately and finding any vet that is open, however far away.

Well, not everyone realizes it could be an emergency, that's why people
post here.... why stress your cat out for something that might be
nothing at all, or spend money going to the emergency vet for something
minor, when that money would be better spent for a true emergency
(especially if one is short on cash)? Now, you and I would realize that
a cloudy eye is likely not "nothing" - my experience comes from horses
but the problems are similar - but not everyone knows that.

So now he has the information he needed, hopefully the cat's been taken
off to the vet, or at the very least, a phone call made.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of eyes, an important point: If you
have an eye ointment for some specific problem your pet has had, if they
have a new and different problem, DO NOT use that ointment unless told
by the vet that it's safe - some that are safe for one kind of eye
problem can really damage the eye when used for something else!

jmc
Old May 31st 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Rene S." wrote :
Having a cat with eye problems, things can change quickly and possibly
for the worse. Good luck.

I am just trying to imagine finding my cat with a cloudy eye and not
packing her up immediately and finding any vet that is open, however far
away.

It is painful for me to even think about some of the possibilities. As you
know, Duffy is blind. He was born blind, and he was several years old when
I adopted him--but to envision something like that happening that possibly
could have been prevented is hard to even consider.

MaryL

Old May 31st 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On May 30, 5:25*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Rene S." wrote :

Having a cat with eye problems, things can change quickly and possibly
for the worse. Good luck.

I am just trying to imagine finding my cat with a cloudy eye and not packing
her up immediately and finding any vet that is open, however far away.

Or calling a 24 hour vet, even if it isn't local. Lots of cities have
emergency vets, so there would be somebody there who could tell you if
you have a real emergency or not.

Years ago, before we had a local (45 minutes away) emergency vet,
there was an all-night vet's number listed on the regular vet's
outgoing answering machine. I thought I had an emergency, and they
were able to help me over the phone with a solution. Had it been more
serious, I'm sure they could have given me a list where to I could go
for immediate treatment.

Old May 31st 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On May 30, 7:27*pm, jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (5/30/2010 8:25 PM):

Well, not everyone realizes it could be an emergency, that's why people
post here.... why stress your cat out for something that might be
nothing at all, or spend money going to the emergency vet for something
minor, when that money would be better spent for a true emergency
(especially if one is short on cash)? Now, you and I would realize that
a cloudy eye is likely not "nothing" - my experience comes from horses
but the problems are similar - but not everyone knows that.

That's why there are phones.

Why would somebody post a question to a bunch of strangers who are not
vets, when they could simply call a vet (even if it isn't local) and
ask the same question? Then they would know if it was an emergency,
and most vets will be happy to listen to the situation and tell you if
they think it rates an immediate visit or not, without charging a fee.
There is simply no reason NOT to call.

Old May 31st 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(5/30/2010 11:36 PM):
On May 30, 7:27 pm, jmc wrote:
[...]

Don't know. Maybe they didn't realize they could call the emergency vet
just to ask a question? Might have thought there would be a fee (not
that that would stop me). I have called the emergency vet after hours,
but the answer is almost always, "if you were worried enough to call,
you should probably bring her in". Meep has a bad habit of doing
worrisome things on Saturday nights and holidays, silly thing.

But I ask questions here when I'm fairly certain it's not an emergency,
but I'm not 100% sure. Would guess this person did the same thing, and
knows they made an incorrect assumption - which is OK, because hopefully
by now the cat's seen help, based on our responses.

I don't want to discourage that, because at least they are *asking* and
not ignoring the problem, hoping it'll go away.

jmc