Hazard RB 8-5-13 (long)

Old August 7th 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Chris H[_3_]

Default Hazard RB 8-5-13 (long)

Some of you may remember my posting about Hazard back in 2002 or so,
when I first encountered him at the University of Maryland campus, where
he'd been abandoned.

More recently, he had developed hyperthyroidism. We seemed to have
gotten that under control, until this past weekend, when he started
staying in the basement and not eating. He ate some on Saturday, and
even acted fairly normal as far as taking treats, puring, stretching,
giving me a head-but, but ever so slightly reserved. This was not
entirely abnormal, as he'd get that way when he had a hairball issue, so
it didn't raise any warnings.

Sunday, he stopped eating entirely, wouldn't eat his treats, and seemed
to be breathing a bit hard. I arranged for him to go in to the vet.
When he got in to the exam room, he started open mouth breathing. The
vet put him under oxygen, and gave him a quick ultrasound, which showed
a large amount of fluid buildup around his lungs.

I had so hoped I would be posting with better news once he'd been
treated, but after the vet removed the fluid from Hazard's pleural
cavity, air began getting back in. He was beginning to get worse, and
they'd have had to operate on him in order to attempt to correct the
situation when he already was not a good candidate for anaesthesia. I
couldn't see putting him through more, especially after finding out that
they had taken about half a litre of fluid out. After additional input
from the cardiologist, I made the decision to let him go, and was at
least able to be there holding him as he went.

Safe journey, you big old crazy beast. You were loved even when you
were taking bites out of my hand, and I hope I gave you something better
than what you would have had out on the UMD campus where I found you all
those years ago. I'll miss you greeting me at the entry way stairs with
a head-but and a mrrp before leading me towards the food bowls.

Rest easy, buddy boy. Oreo and I will watch the house...

Sad Chris and Oreo
Old August 7th 13, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:32:10 PM UTC-4, Chris H wrote:
[...]

My thoughts are with you and with your boy as he crosses the Bridge.

--
Will in New Haven

Old August 7th 13, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Chris H" wrote in message
[...]

Soo sorry...You gave him many good years,
and he did the same for you, especially after a while.
It's hard, but you did the right thing.

Sylvia

Pit2nya hunkers down into meatloaf position and purrrrrrsssss.

Old August 7th 13, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

Rest easy, buddy boy. Oreo and I will watch the house...

Sad Chris and Oreo

We are all very sorry to hear this. Hazard will be greeted at the Bridge
by Cleopatra and Mme Anais, but that won't help heal your broken hearts.
Our purrs are with you.

Amelia
for her house
Old August 8th 13, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey=^ ..^=[_3_]

That is so sad, Chris
Our Mom has an hyperactive thyroid too! She is 68 years old and doesn't
have much of an appetite either.
I put up a candle site for Hazard, but I don't see it here.
Our house is sorry for the loss of your slave, Hazard.
Take care
Kind regards,
Mosey, PookyKat, Sqweex ,Pipps & our Mom Kyla -all sad for you

"Chris H" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hazard RB 8-5-13 (long) Chris H[_3_] Cat anecdotes 7 August 8th 13 07:09 PM
snail bait hazard NancyJ Cat community 1 June 11th 04 11:53 AM
snail bait hazard Laura R. Cat health & behaviour 1 June 6th 04 07:47 PM