He's come a long way, baby!

Old June 15th 16, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default He's come a long way, baby!

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first
got him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he
could be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually
he got over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were
on the floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on
my lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged
and meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy
Old June 15th 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

"Joy" wrote in message

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first got
him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he could
be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually he got
over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were on the
floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on my
lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged and
meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy

those are precious meowmees

Old June 15th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 6/15/2016 6:34 AM, Adrian wrote:
Joy wrote:

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first
got him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he
could be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually
he got over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were
on the floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on
my lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged
and meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy

That reminds me of, Shadow (RB) it literally took years for him to trust me
completely, eventually he learned to enjoy belly rubs.

Koala hasn't reached that point yet, although he would like to. He
definitely shows jealousy when Pickles gets a belly rub. Maybe someday ...
Old June 15th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 6/15/2016 2:24 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Joy wrote:

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first
got him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he
could be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually
he got over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were
on the floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on
my lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged
and meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy

How wonderful! Bless him.

judith

Yes, it is wonderful! He didn't settle on my lap this morning, but he
did come up for some petting, and came within two inches of a nose boop.
Old June 19th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:07:44 -0700, Joy
wrote:

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first
got him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he
could be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually
he got over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were
on the floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on
my lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged
and meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy

What was the timeline for this? It gives me a certain amount of hope
for Baby, who does come out from under the bed sometimes (for 10
minutes or so) and will let me pet her. I brought her with me when I
moved from Queens NY last July so it's almost a year since she became
an indoor cat, after spending the first six years of her life on the
street in Queens.

It isn't really great progress though. She still isn't very happy. I
happened to be back in Queens last week and stopped by the old block.
The green areas in front of my old house have been completely paved
over, leaving nowhere for a cat to hang out. The same is true of the
house across the street where my friend Serene lived. Both were small
houses and are being renovated to hold three apartments each - not
quite legally I'm sure.

There are still two people willing to feed the cats on the block, but
both are very elderly. When they die, there will be no one left to
care fo them at all. Still, Baby seems so unhappy now that I'm
considering taking her back to the block where her cat friends (and
mother) still live. She may face tough times ahead, but I just don't
know that she'll ever be happy as an indoor cat.

On the other hand, I'm seriously working on getting a fence built
around my yard here in Florida so I can let them out part-time. Not
free roaming, but at least they'll have some grass to walk on and some
bushes to lie under. Maybe she'll be content with that. I'll try it
before doing something as drastic and taking her back.
Old June 19th 16, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It will be two years next month since I got Koala. He was four months
old when I got him. I'd say there is still hope for Baby. If you can
make an outside area where she'd be safe, I'd definitely try that.
Old June 20th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message

Sometimes I hardly recognize Koala, my little feral cat. When I first got
him, he hid most of the time. Once he started coming out where he could
be seen, he ran every time I took a step toward him. Eventually he got
over that, and then he would let me pet him, but only if he were on the
floor and I was standing.

A couple of months ago he started coming up when I was sitting in my
recliner, and lying on my legs, out of reach. He has actually laid on my
lap a couple of times, and last night he came up on my lap and nudged and
meowed for me to pet him for a while before he laid down on my lap.

Joy

Brilliant news! It takes patience, lots of patience over a long time. It's
paying off. I'm happy for you both.

Tweed

Old June 20th 16, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Ex ferals and those cats that went slightly feral because of losing their
homes find it difficult to fit in to a home, either for the first time, or
"again." It took me 3 or 4 months to get Boyfriend to feed just inside the
back door (and two years before I could close it as he panicked without an
escape route) luckily I live in a low crime area. It does take a long
time, literally years for these cats to trust: never push them to interact
with you, they will eventually.
Please do not even think of taking Baby back to an uncertain future on the
streets. Boyfie took a long time, much longer than you've given Baby but
now his ideal world would be if I sat down all the time and he was on my
knee 24/7. You have to be patient, and yes, sometimes it takes years. Baby
will come fine if you give her space long enough and don't try to pet her.
One day she will approach you. Just my experience with the most scaredy lost
cat I ever had. I hope it helps.

Tweed
P.S. If you take Baby back to the streets you are blocked, you took her to
Florida, now be patient

Old June 20th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

--
Adrian

I agree, it take a long time. They will never be like other cats. Boyfie
is great with me now but is afraid of everyone else, even if he knows them
well. Like they fed him for weeks while I was in hospital, the minute I
return he becomes afraid of them again. Sort of like he tolerated them when
he needed feeding. He knows Claire very well, she looked after him for
weeks, but if she comes to visit he goes up to his bedroom to avoid her,like
he never saw her before.
Luckily she is not offended, she has Tigger, who is so proud of himself he
could offend everyone. I don't want to remind Tigger that he was dumped at
the side of the road in a bag of kittens and how lucky he is He is very
regal.