Recycling cat food cans

Old April 22nd 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Recycling cat food cans

I have been saving my cat food cans for Habitat for Humanity. They need to
be rinsed, but nothing else needs to be done to them (don't need to remove
the paper labels, etc.). There are also some other charitable organizations
that collect aluminum cans. The local Habitat earns several thousand
dollars a year from this practice. I thought some of you might be
interested in it. I just save the cans until I have a good-sized bag of
cans and then drop them off at the local Habitat ReStore. It would be a good
idea to check with Habitat or any other charity you prefer before starting
the collection because the same organization in different areas may have
different policies.

MaryL

Old April 22nd 12, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

I have been saving my cat food cans for Habitat for Humanity. They need to
be rinsed, but nothing else needs to be done to them (don't need to remove
the paper labels, etc.). There are also some other charitable organizations
that collect aluminum cans. The local Habitat earns several thousand
dollars a year from this practice. I thought some of you might be
interested in it. I just save the cans until I have a good-sized bag of
cans and then drop them off at the local Habitat ReStore. It would be a good
idea to check with Habitat or any other charity you prefer before starting
the collection because the same organization in different areas may have
different policies.

That's interesting. I usually put the cat food cans out with the regular
recycling, but I'm sure there's a donation site near me for Habitat for
Humanity. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old April 23rd 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message
I have been saving my cat food cans for Habitat for Humanity. They need to
be rinsed, but nothing else needs to be done to them (don't need to remove
the paper labels, etc.). There are also some other charitable
organizations that collect aluminum cans. The local Habitat earns several
thousand dollars a year from this practice. I thought some of you might be
interested in it. I just save the cans until I have a good-sized bag of
cans and then drop them off at the local Habitat ReStore. It would be a
good idea to check with Habitat or any other charity you prefer before
starting the collection because the same organization in different areas
may have different policies.

MaryL

Your timing for this post couldn't be better. A Habitat ReStore will soon
be moving into my town. I had already planned to visit it, to see what they
had. When I do, I'll ask about the cans. I recycle them anyway, but if
such a worthy charity can get the benefit of them, so much the better. I
also wash them when I wash my dishes, because I don't want them to draw
insects to the recycling bin.

Joy

Old April 23rd 12, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chris H[_3_]

On 04/22/2012 08:24 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you like DIY activities, you'll love the ReStore... I've gotten a
bunch of tools and lumber (used to make Hazard a taller scratching post)
from ours, even a 35mm camera, and have donated a number of items to
them as I've remodeled things around the house (or salvaged from neighbors).

I'll have to inquire about cans. I'd much rather they went to Habitat,
if ours will take them.

Hazard loves his post...better than the furniture, thank goodness!
I hope he likes the chunk of holly tree I've got in mind for another.
They took one down at the archaeological dig site I'm helping with, and
it's just the right size...

Purrs-

Chris, Hazard and Oreo
Old April 24th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

I'm not much of a DIYer, although I have installed a porch light and a
thermostat, among other things. Anyway, I think I'll have fun looking at
the store, even if there's nothing I want to buy. When I was growing up in
East Los Angeles, there was a huge hardware store in downtown Los Angeles
called Andrews Hardware. My Dad used to take me with him sometimes when he
went. I always loved that, and I suspect such a visit would bring back
those memories.

He was the ultimate DIYer. He built most of the house I grew up in. It
started off as very small - one bedroom, one bath, small kitchen and small
living room. First he added another bedroom in front of the existing one.
A few years later, he built three rooms onto the other side of the house - a
dining room, a kitchen and a utility room, with a tiny half bath. He took
out the wall between the living room and the old kitchen and made it into a
larger living room. I could write a book about all the things he made.

Joy