Ack! Little Boy ran outside

Old January 6th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Ack! Little Boy ran outside

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

I think [the rabid bat] bit the dust quickly.

It didn't, but that doesn't seem to be a form of rabies likely to
make an epidemic.

http://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/a...s_Figures.aspx

An epidemic would be terrible. But even in the US, where it's pretty rare
for a human, or a human's pets, to get infected, we go to a great deal of
trouble to immunize our pets.

what happens now that animals don't have to spend 6 months in
quarantine. It's much easier on them, for sure, but doesn't that
increase the odds that an infected pet will get into the country?

Pets are only exempt from quarantine if they've been immunized. Since
there's much less incentive for a pet owner to avoid immunization than
to avoid quarantine, the chances are that the new regimen will be more
effective than the old one.

Someone could always fake the necessary documents. Fraud happens
everywhere,
but in this case the stakes are pretty high.

--
Joyce

So are the odds against someone traveling with a pet that has rabies.

--
Joy

Frazer Island

Fairy penguins march
Out of the sea at sunset
Chatting as they come.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old January 7th 14, 02:10 AM
Bill Stock999 Bill Stock999 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
Whee!

Little Boy ran out the door when I opened it to see who was knocking at
the door (it was upstairs). Usually, he runs out, then goes around to
the opposite door and lies down to wait on me, so I took my time to get
food for Chollie. I put crunchies out for Chollie, and saw Little Boy
prancing around the courtyard. Well, I was in shorts and a tshirt, so I
went after Little Boy, which resulted in one fulkl round of the
building, in 40F degree weather.

So I went back in, put on jeans (still wearing a tshirt), grabbed a
flashlight, and went looking for Little Boy and hoping nobody called in
a "strange man with a flashlight" report to the police, because I had
beer on my breath.

I walked around the building at least three times, saw Little Boy
several times, and he ran off each time. Finally, I had a great idea -
Little Boy is morally unable to resist an empty lap, so next time I saw
him, I turned off the flashlight, sat down on the (cold, wet) ground,
and sweet talked him until he sat in may lap.

I got up and walked to the door, telling him that running out was bad
behavior the whole way back to the door.

Once inside, he gave me his entire repertoire of "I love you, please
forgive me" moves on the door shelves. This involved a lot of
upside-downy heads, head butts, tummy rubs, love nips and nose kisses
(from both of us), as well as an extended game of toss-and-fetch the
bottle cork. He did most of the tossing, while good slave that I am, I
did most of the fetching.

I told him what a brat he is, and that I love him even when he's a brat...
Here it's Raccoon, Coyotes, Fox and Neighbours. 40 is balmy :-) I've been known to take the garbage out in the dead of winter in my shorts; mostly because I'm too lazy to get get dressed before crawling back into bed. It will just add to your 'mystique' with the neighbours. LOL. VoE.

Glad to hear all turned out OK for LB.
Old January 7th 14, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[bat rabies in the UK]
It didn't, but that doesn't seem to be a form of rabies likely to
make an epidemic.
http://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/a...s_Figures.aspx

An epidemic would be terrible. But even in the US, where it's pretty rare
for a human, or a human's pets, to get infected, we go to a great deal of
trouble to immunize our pets.

The point of the WHO bulletin is that transmission of that strain of
rabies to anything that isn't a bat is so rare that no epidemic is
possible. So there's no need to immunize against it. I doubt the
US immunizes against it either.

Pets are only exempt from quarantine if they've been immunized. Since
there's much less incentive for a pet owner to avoid immunization than
to avoid quarantine, the chances are that the new regimen will be more
effective than the old one.

Someone could always fake the necessary documents. Fraud happens
everywhere, but in this case the stakes are pretty high.

Pet passports don't just involve paper documents, you'd have to fake
a registered microchip. If anybody's going to dodge the requirements
they'll do it the old-fashioned way by dosing their pet with Valium
and stuffing it in a box. I doubt it happens very often. The main
risk might be with animals that it's illegal to import anyway.