Accident update #2 -another long one

Old November 19th 03, 10:38 PM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

Did not mean to nag re the seatbelts; not your concern anyway; but one thing
about wearing them bums me terribly: young people seize on and remember the
few accidents where, like your young man, being "buckled in" would have
caused him to die instantly (or drown underwater, etc.).......when in
reality the vast majority of non-seatbelt-wearing accident victims are
thrown out or PARTLY (there is a reason for the capitals) thrown out by
forces in motion when vehicles overturn.

For goodness sakes girl...NAG. We have a family rule for all of our
vehicles. NO BUCKLE, NO BYE BYE.

When we bought our first new car back after Mandy was born, the dealer
thought I was paranoid because I insisted that one of the clauses in the
deal be that a third set of seat belts be installed in the rear seat, so
that we'd have a set of belts for each child. A couple of years later I
found out that deer in Wyoming are stupid and hit one. I managed by a
miracle not to roll the car, but all of us would have been killed if we
hadn't all been wearing seat belts. When the highway patrol saw the
damage to the I-Mark, they were impressed with two things, how tough
that little car was, and that none of us had anything worse than belt
bruising.

Seat belts have saved my life, and, more importantly to me, my family's
life several times. I really believe that if you love them, you'll belt
them. Every member of the family has been known to comment at one time
or another that someone didn't love their child very much as they were
letting said child ride in the back seat of the car by standing on the
seat. Makes all of us upset.

Pam S. who's cats ride in cat carriers seat belted into the middle and
back seats of the car too.
Old November 19th 03, 10:41 PM
Tanada

Yoj wrote:

Now, when I ride on a bus or train, I feel slightly uncomfortable
because there is no seat belt.

Me too. Buses really bother me as they're so poorly set up in case of
an accident.

Pam S.
Old November 20th 03, 12:38 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:06:07 -0500, "Hopitus2"
wrote:

Did not mean to nag re the seatbelts; not your concern anyway; but one thing
about wearing them bums me terribly: young people seize on and remember the
few accidents where, like your young man, being "buckled in" would have
caused him to die instantly (or drown underwater, etc.).......when in
reality the vast majority of non-seatbelt-wearing accident victims are
thrown out or PARTLY (there is a reason for the capitals) thrown out by
forces in motion when vehicles overturn.

A-men on that. My grandmother wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and got
thrown through the windshield when grandpa drove off the road, and
died at the scene. She never wore seatbelts, they bothered her
colostomy (she died in 1974).

On the other hand, my dad (a retired cop) was wearing a seatbelt when
chasing a speeder on an unfamiliar gravel country road one night. They
came to a T-intersection - the speeder made the turn, Dad didn't see
it. His car flew across the intersection, across a ditch, and t-boned
into a raised dirt berm. Came out of it with a broken nose from
hitting the steering wheel, but it could have been so much worse.

As for the worst-case stuff, Dad also survived having his patrol car
run over by a semi, with him seatbelted inside. He saw the guy coming,
and was able to get low enough so when the roof collapsed he was below
the level of the dashboard. I guess my point is that wearing a
seatbelt didn't slow him down in saving his own life.

There's just no excuse for not being belted in!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old November 20th 03, 01:34 AM
Yowie

"Tanada" wrote in message
Hopitus2 wrote:

[...]

You mean that it the law to wear seatbelts there???? Holy Bowl!

Its been *mandatory* to have and to wear seatbelts, both in the front and
back seats, for as long as I can remember - ie, some time in the 70's. And
you get a hefty fine and lose points off your licence if anyone in the
vehicle you are driving isn't wearing one. You guys are *weird* :-)

Yowie

Old November 20th 03, 02:06 AM
badwilson

Purrs continuing...and thanks for the updates, Grace.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old November 20th 03, 02:53 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old November 20th 03, 03:03 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:34:37 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

You mean that it the law to wear seatbelts there???? Holy Bowl!

Its been *mandatory* to have and to wear seatbelts, both in the front and
back seats, for as long as I can remember - ie, some time in the 70's. And
you get a hefty fine and lose points off your licence if anyone in the
vehicle you are driving isn't wearing one. You guys are *weird* :-)

Let's make it weirder. IIRC, seatbelts haven't been required equipment
in motor vehicles until the last 30-40 years or so; before that they
were optional equipment, if available at all. There's no national
seatbelt law in the US, it's a state-by-state thing (although most
states have some form of one). Seatbelt laws have only been "popular"
for the last 10 years or so. Some of these laws say everybody has to
wear a seatbelt, others say only the people in the front seat do.
Others have age-based requirements. In many states with seatbelt
laws, you can't be charged with violating it unless you're pulled over
for some other offense. It just easier to wear the things than to try
to figure out what the law is...

Old November 20th 03, 03:05 AM
GracecatOnl

Dad has one from colon cancer years ago. He still wears his every single day he
drives. And it takes him about five years to put 250,000 miles on his truck, he
drives alot

I dislike hearing them say "oh not wearing a seatbelt saved his life, he would
have been pinned and crushed". Grrrr. Ya know, my friend had a tree limp pierce
his thigh, that's how the worst of his injury occured. It's so very difficult
to project what would happen to a person when you're changing an important
variable. You can opinionate but a person can't say for sure yes, no. That's my
two cents.

The only case I ever see this definitely happening is a bridge/river/water
accident.

From: Jeanne Hedge
Date: 11/19/03 6:38 PM Central Standard Time

Old November 20th 03, 04:44 AM
Marina

"polonca12000" wrote
A few months ago I rode on a bus that had seat belts and even though that
was the first and the only time that happened, maybe in future more buses
and trains will be having seat belts.

A few of the buses here have seat belts in the middle of the bus, where
there is a space for prams, and folding seats for the parents. I think the
seat belts are there for young children.

There has been some discussion about fitting seat belts into long-distance
buses, but I haven't seen any yet, but then the only long-distance bus I use
is the one to go to the island.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 20th 03, 04:45 AM
Hopitus2

Uh......on a lighter note......the Hopitus wants to know if deer in other
states than Wyoming are stupid.....like maybe Colorado? Is that what is
meant by "deer in the headlights"? We don't see many deer here in urban
south FL; only reindeer pictures @ Christmas time, and have no idea if they
are dumber than d*gs, or whatever. We have Key deer - endangered species -
in the lower Keys: Big Pine Key, to be exact. Maybe that's why they're
endangered; I never thought about it. Too dumb to get out of the highway.
Norm? You see any deer over in Tampa?

"Tanada" wrote in message
: