mother and six kittens - update

Old August 17th 05, 01:37 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:13:15 -0700, Calvin Rice wrote:

Cheryl wrote:
... I know you don't want to upset the mama, but I would go ahead and do
the cleaning up stuff. You need to get the kittens used to human
interaction and even if mama moves them, it won't be out of your reach.

As if she read our minds, she moved the kittens out of the closet last
night, to under the bed. So I cleaned out the closet corner and put in
new bedding, just a clean folded fresh towel.. Whether she will move back
to the closet I don't know, but I will start trying to reach for the
kittens under the bed, something I never have done in the closet, so maybe
she will decide that the closet is better after all.

I could do something drastic like move the bed around, but I don't want to
terrify the cat, so I'm just go to try to make natural timid moves in the
vicinity of the kittens.

I suppose that once the kittens start to become mobile on their own it
wont really matter where they consider their nest to be. But at this
point they're just 9 days old.

-cr

Perhaps Mom would be happy with a bed in a nice cardboard box, That is
what we always provided for our pregnant cats. Then when the babes try to
wander, it won't be too far. Best of luck in raising the babes. MLB

Old August 17th 05, 02:30 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

-cr

Congrats! Sounds like quite the group and adventure you got there. I did
read your first post about her.

I wonder when you approach the cats if you could give mamma cat an extra
special treat each time?

Keep us posted.

Take care,
Jen

mlbriggs wrote:
... I know you don't want to upset the mama, but I would go ahead and do
the cleaning up stuff. You need to get the kittens used to human

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

Old August 17th 05, 02:44 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 16 Aug 2005 09:30:45p, Jen M. via CatKB.com wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Congrats! Sounds like quite the group and adventure you got
there. I did read your first post about her.

I wonder when you approach the cats if you could give mamma cat
an extra special treat each time?

Keep us posted.

Take care,
Jen

I like that idea.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 17th 05, 03:28 AM
Calvin Rice

Jen wrote:
... I wonder when you approach the cats if you could give
mamma cat an extra special treat each time?

I'm not sure what she thinks is extra special because she
eats everything I give her:

1.Sheba, three flavors
2.Fancy Feast, less often, a couple of kinds
3.Purina Kitten Chow
4.Iams kitten formula

She is fed a whole container of 1. or 2. four times a day; she
always has 3.; and she has 4. sometimes between meals.

Also between meals sometimes Gerber's baby food
(ham, turkey, or chicken) and Whiskas Temptations once,
which I'll get more of.

She eats all of this, and only rarely doesn't clean a plate, so I'm
not sure what is special. Her big appetite makes me think she
may be fairly content here, though of course she doesn't like
captivity, her first ever.

It's going to be hard to let her go, but at least she will be free
again, and hopefully reunited with the cats and people with
whom she was associated before all this happened. I say
hopefully because who knows how she will react to going
back 'home', spayed and without her new kittens. I wouldn't
be surprised if she disappears into the woods there for a
while.

-cr

Old August 17th 05, 03:37 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 16 Aug 2005 10:30:01p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I hear that Temptations are akin to kitty crack. You might get a
package and give her one each time.

I need to find those. :P The only treats Bonnie likes (and I need
to have treats she responds to, being former feral and hard to please
and hard to catch) is Wysong Cat Treats. She won't even go for
chunks of chicken or other cooked meat.

Old August 17th 05, 05:21 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

Maybe a piece of plain cooked chicken? Turkey, or something that is just for
when you approach kitties

LOL kitty crack

Have fun,
Jen

Old August 17th 05, 05:40 AM

Just vouching for the kitty crack comment. My Callie of the "cat food
is for suckers, I want what's on YOUR plate" philosophy .... eats them
like they're ambrosia - lol.

-Tracy

Old August 17th 05, 06:58 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

I haven't heard of them--will have to check them out--my brood needs a treat--
so far they have snubbed the treats I offer them.

Thanks,
Jen

Old August 17th 05, 12:45 PM
Calvin Rice

Jen wrote:
Maybe a piece of plain cooked chicken? Turkey, or something
that is just for when you approach kitties

That's it. I always have deli lunch meat style chicken or turkey for
another cat at night, shared with the others. I'll try that for
bribing
the mother when I play with the kittens.

My cats have me well-trained, you may have noticed. 'Enslaved'
might be a better word.

-cr