Help! Cat refusing to move much....

Old February 15th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Help! Cat refusing to move much....

Why didn't you consult the vet?
I don't understand why people are so carefree about this stuff.

Because the advice to use Pepto is written in MANY MANY cat care books by
veterinarians! I used it too as stated in my previous post thinking it was
okay due to one of those books. We are not "care free" about stuff - we
tried to help our cats feel better because we CARE about them and thought we
were doing the right thing! How in the world would we know the formula had
changed too become dangerous to cats??!! Yes, we made a mistake; the last
thing we need is someone coming along and making us feel worse about it.

Anna

Old February 17th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ryan Robbins wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was actually about to do it again with Jay Jay
less than a week after I got him. I bought the bottle of pepto and did
an internet check to determine the dosage.

Why didn't you consult the vet?

I don't understand why people are so carefree about this stuff.

Did you miss the part about the vet book?

It was in a book written by a vet, and it used to be a common practice
with no problem. Do you call the vet every time you give a dose of
hairball remedy?

Hairball remedy is made for cats. Over-the-counter medicine for people is
not. I don't care if an over-the-counter medicine for people is recommended
in a book; books aren't inherently accurate.

How many people would expect the ingredients to change? The stuff has
worked for years. Why would the company change it? And to change in a
way that would make it dangerous to cats?

Because it wasn't made for cats.

Old February 17th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ryan Robbins wrote:

Hairball remedy is made for cats. Over-the-counter medicine for people is
not. I don't care if an over-the-counter medicine for people is recommended
in a book; books aren't inherently accurate.

Did you know that most pet medications are based from people
medications? The last time I got antibiotics for Maynard, it was
bubblegum flavored. And that was handed to me at the vet's office.

Also, two different vets, on 3 different occasions told me to buy over
the counter antacids to give with the antibiotics. When Maynard was
having liver failure, I was told to get Milk Thistle and another people
medication. When my mom's collie had severe arthritis, she was told to
buy generic glucosamine since it is much cheaper than buyer the "pet"
version. My first dog was prescribed half a children's chewable aspiren
back before glucosamine became common. And Neosporin (the kind
*without* pain reliever)
was recommended to my sister when treating an abcess. And just last
week, I was told to give Kira Chlortrimeton (over the counter people
medicine) for allergies.

All of these are people medications, available over the counter, and
recommended by a real vet. Why? Because they know it works, and it is
cheaper than buying the same thing listed as a pet medication.

I'm sure that many vets recommonded pepto bismal back when it was good,
and I suspect a few recommended it even after it changed since it would
have taken a while for vets to realize the ingredients had changed.

You may not believe the books (even when they are written by vets), but
real vets recommend people medications all the time. If you have pets
long enough, you will find this out. And then you won't judge people
for using the things they have been told to use, especially people
medications.

Oh, and most people medications were tested on animals, whether you
agree with it or not, so often, they know the results in animals. Also,
because the approval process is easier, many of them become official
medications in animals first.

How many people would expect the ingredients to change? The stuff has
worked for years. Why would the company change it? And to change in a
way that would make it dangerous to cats?

Because it wasn't made for cats.

You didn't answer the questions. You just repeated why you believe it
should never have been used. So, years ago, when it was fine, you would
rather go to the vet and pay 3-4 times the price for the same
ingredients in a bottle labeled for cats. Good for you. Do you go to
the vet to buy rubbing alcohol with a cat on it, or do you just use the
kind from the grocery store?

Honestly, it sounds like you are very judgemental about something that
was used for years by many cat owners, and recommended for years by
vets.

Old February 17th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Have you ever been told by a doctor to do something and had it not work
right?

For example, when I was child, I was prescribed allergy medication.
Later, the same doctor diagnosed with me with asthma. But he never told
me that I should not take certain medications, including the one
previously prescribed, currently available over the counter.

I always had problems with it, but as a child, my parents just thought
I hated taking it. I do have problems swallowing pills, so I have
always avoided pills as much as possible. The medication caused my nose
sinuses to close off. So, it was effective at stopping a runny nose,
but I couldn't breath through my nose, and it felt horrible. I
prefeerred the runny nose.

Only as an adult when I complained to a new doctor, was I told that I
should not be taking that medication. It has a side effect in peopel
with asthma, causing the sinuses to swell.

After that, I discovered a few of my other medications were not
recommended for asthmatics either. Including aspiren. I have trouble
with larger pills, so I tend to stick with chewables unless I have a
really bad headache. Sometime over the years, the chewable aspiren
started making my throat burn. I read the packaging, and the product I
had been using for years said not to use in people with lung problems
such as asthma.

Sometimes, doctors tell us something that isn't always true. They give
us the information in good faith, and they are usually right, so we do
not usually need to double check it ourselves. That is why they went to
medical school, and we pay them. Because *they* know what they are
doing.

If a doctor prescribes something, and you have a bad reaction, do you
blame the person who took it? No. In most cases, it was an individual
reaction to that particular medication, which is safe in general for
most people. And sometimes, you blame he doctor. But I don't see why
you would blame the patient for doing what the doctor ordered.

Old February 17th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hairball remedy is made for cats. Over-the-counter medicine for people is
not. I don't care if an over-the-counter medicine for people is recommended
in a book; books aren't inherently accurate.

My cat uses an ointment made for humans for nail bed infections as per
consultation with veterinary dermatologists. He also has had his nails
soaked in Betadine which is made for humans. Many, many treatments for
humans are used on pets with no problems. Let's just hope your cat never
needs any of them or you'll refuse to use them because they weren't made
specifically for animals.

Anna

Old February 18th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article .com,
says...
[...]

When you stop and think about the sheer volume of information a doctor
has to know I can pretty much guarantee you'll then lose your confidence
in doctors.

However - a good doctor, and they are few and far between, but a good
doctor knows his/her limitations and how to address said limitations. It
might involve research, or it might involved consulting another trusted
physician.

What ever happened to getting second opinions anyhow?

Old February 18th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article 5c066d000af26@uwe, u18214@uwe says...
Hairball remedy is made for cats. Over-the-counter medicine for people is
not. I don't care if an over-the-counter medicine for people is recommended
in a book; books aren't inherently accurate.

My cat uses an ointment made for humans for nail bed infections as per
consultation with veterinary dermatologists. He also has had his nails
soaked in Betadine which is made for humans. Many, many treatments for
humans are used on pets with no problems. Let's just hope your cat never
needs any of them or you'll refuse to use them because they weren't made
specifically for animals.

Probably because we're all mammalian and share similar organ structures
and functions.