Accosted by Orange Tabbies

Old August 2nd 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

Default Accosted by Orange Tabbies

We started out for a walk earlier this evening and weren't more than 100'
from the front yard when we were spotted by two orange tabby kittens sitting
beside the road. They ran right up to us, purring a mile a minute and
begging to be picked up. Both are skin and bone but Joey is the more
emaciated of the two. They are probably around 7-8 weeks of age. Of course
we rushed them home and fed them soft canned food, in the small bathroom.
They were extremely thirsty as well, so they got plenty of rich broth to
drink. They never stopped purring the whole time they ate and drank. While
they were busy filling their little bellies, I filled a litterbox for them
and took it into the room. Both used it immediately.

After the little ones were settled, we set back out for our evening stroll.
Half a block from the house, the orange tabbies' names came to me: Johnny
and Joey. The smaller one is Joey.

The conversation naturally turned to the question of what are we going to do
with all these kittens. Arthur and Guinivere are in good shape now, as is
Twiggy. Little white Coco is living in the garage and is still too wild to
touch (but I did get him/her - still not sure - to play with a
mousie-on-a-string the other day). And now there are two more homeless
babies with us.

Dave suggested to take the plunge and become an official No-Kill Shelter.
What a great idea, since we're getting deeper into rescue work all the time.
So, we will be drafting Articles of Inc. and filing them, getting an EIN, a
bank account and a website (soon) with the goal of eventually (we hope,
within a year or so from now) moving to a bigger place that can accommodate
more kitties.

The plan is to do a "Cat House on The Kings" type of operation but on quite
a bit of a smaller scale - more on the order of dozens rather than hundreds
of cats (plus some d-things, of course). I've been brushing up on how to
become a 501(c)(3) charitable organization so that contributions can be tax
deductible. I have some (distant) past experience with the process so it is
not unfamiliar.

Wish us luck? We're gonna need it! And can we have purrs for the new
additions?

Old August 2nd 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Luck and purrs.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

news

Old August 2nd 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Pat wrote:
snip
The plan is to do a "Cat House on The Kings" type of operation but on
quite a bit of a smaller scale - more on the order of dozens rather
than hundreds of cats (plus some d-things, of course). I've been
brushing up on how to become a 501(c)(3) charitable organization so
that contributions can be tax deductible. I have some (distant) past
experience with the process so it is not unfamiliar.

Wish us luck? We're gonna need it! And can we have purrs for the new
additions?

Lots of good luck purrs on the way.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 2nd 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

"Pat" wrote in
news
[...]

Purrs and good luck on the way. You're doing a much needed service. The
world needs more folks like you.

Bobble
Old August 2nd 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 2, 12:19*am, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

Do you have a place to quarantine the new cats? Kittens that look
healthy many times are not. :-(

Sherry
Old August 2nd 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Sherry" wrote

Do you have a place to quarantine the new cats? Kittens
that look healthy many times are not. :-(

For the time being, we're starting them off in a small bathroom that's
isolated from the rest of the house by having to go through a bedroom to get
to it. From there, once they've been freed of mites, fleas and worms, they
go to Dave's room until they're cleared of infectious stuff.

Soon as we can afford it, we plan on enclosing part of the carport to make
it a "newcomer room". It will also serve as a library/reading room (between
Dave and I, we've got a few thousand volumes - enough to line all the
walls), and we have a chest freezer out there which will help keep it warm
in winter. This room is completely isolated from the rest of the house but
can be seen into from the kitchen window and from a glass door in the
storage room. It has a concrete floor which will be covered by old carpet
from inside the house. We are right now in the process of ripping out the
carpet to expose the hardwood floors inside.

Old August 2nd 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

We started out for a walk earlier this evening and weren't more than 100'
from the front yard when we were spotted by two orange tabby kittens sitting
beside the road.

It's raining cats in your neighborhood! I can't believe how many have
shown up at your door.

I think the home-grown animal rescue org. sounds like a great idea. If
I owned property I would consider something like that myself.

Good luck with Joey and Johnny!

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one
to come off as a sane person. -- Dan Greenberg