Update on Blocked Cat

Old May 15th 05, 07:07 AM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
news

John, I think you should know that Phil knows more about cat nutrition
than most vets. Believe what he tells you.

Grow up Mike. On the one hand there is a trained vet to whom I paid
$800 for an unblocking operation and medical advice. On the other hand
there is an anonymous persona in a usenet newsgroup who has
pretentions to authority. On the planet Earth, Mike, I trust the vet.

Funny--this is how I feel about Megan's advice, but Phil has
actually given me advice that my vet agreed with but had not
thought of. So in my experience, Phil actually has displayed
more knowledge about cat nutrition and other issues than
any vet I have had. Granted there are better and worse vets.

I think John should keep his windows closed- sounds like he's down wind from
the crack houses in his neighborhood.

Old May 15th 05, 07:25 AM
Phil P.

"Hopitus" wrote in message
ROFL..so my boycats were still "all man"!? They were neutered but would
still hump wool throws and blankets;
LOL this explains a whole bunch! BTW Megan *and* Phil (the Phil of years
past, not the new dude who needs advice) so good to see you both again

here
@ this ng I don't hang much @.....my indoor cats have a "smothery"
slave Mama and don't get sick hardly @ all, not to say
injured either. They're a lot happier in MileHigh than I am. Hope life has
been kind to both of you. Best wishes from Hopitus (former s.FL; just got

new 'puter after almost a year w/o one).

Hey! Its great to see the Hopitus again! Don't be a stranger!

Phil

Old May 15th 05, 03:23 PM
John Ross Mc Master

On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:15:23 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:55:33 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message

The cause of the blockage is the cat's body's inabilty to handle ash
(magnesium and the like) in food.

There is no 'ash' in cat food- 'ash' is an analysis of the mineral

content-
not an ingredient- that's why its listed in the Guaranteed Analysis and

not
in the ingredients list. "Ash" is determined by burning an aliquot of

the
diet for 2 hours at 600*C and weighing the residue. "Ash" is actually

all
the noncombustible components of the diet- which includes most of the
mineral content- without regard to any specific element. The 'ash'

analysis
does not correlate to the magnesium content of the diet.

Also, struvite is a function of urine pH not magnesium. At urine pH of

6.1
or less struvite won't form regardless of the amount of magnesium in the
diet. Magnesium content becomes important only when urine pH rises above
6.2. Urine pH determines *if* struvite will form; the magnesium content
determines *how much* struvite will form.

Phil

My vet once told me to get low ash magnesium restricted cat food for a
male cat who had a urinary tract blockage operation. I think I'll
trust the vet and not you.

Apparently, my post transcended your limited understanding. I'll make it
simple for you: If you need a low magnesium diet- choose a diet on the
basis of the *magnesium content*- not on the 'ash' content. "Low ash" does
not necessarily mean 'low magnesium". The 'ash' analysis does not correlate
to the magnesium content of the diet. A diet can have a low ash analysis
and still have a high magnesium content. Is that simple enough for you to
understand, or do you need a .jpg?

I think you have a pickle up your ass. Phil. The vet said to stick to
a low ash magnesium restricted diet and I did it, cat was fine ever
since. I'm glad I wasn't listening to you! You're a frustrated
control freak. Seek help from a psychologist or qualified spriritual
counsellor.
Old May 15th 05, 04:26 PM
Phil P.

wrote:

[...]

That's because you're an idiot with a bruised ego.

The vet said to stick to
a low ash magnesium restricted diet and I did it, cat was fine ever
since. I'm glad I wasn't listening to you!

You sure are one ****ing idiot! Do you realize that? Did I tell you to
stop feeding your cat the prescription diet, asshole? I simply told you
that the ash analysis doesn't correlate to the magnesium content or the
content of any other single mineral in the diet.

You're a frustrated
control freak.

It just seems that way to you because you're an idiot with a fragile ego.

Seek help from a psychologist or qualified spriritual
counsellor.

I probably need one from trying to get through to dumb assholes like you!
LOL!

Old May 15th 05, 04:49 PM
Brad

On Sun, 15 May 2005 06:07:13 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
news

John, I think you should know that Phil knows more about cat nutrition
than most vets. Believe what he tells you.

Grow up Mike. On the one hand there is a trained vet to whom I paid
$800 for an unblocking operation and medical advice. On the other hand
there is an anonymous persona in a usenet newsgroup who has
pretentions to authority. On the planet Earth, Mike, I trust the vet.

Funny--this is how I feel about Megan's advice, but Phil has
actually given me advice that my vet agreed with but had not
thought of. So in my experience, Phil actually has displayed
more knowledge about cat nutrition and other issues than
any vet I have had. Granted there are better and worse vets.

I think John should keep his windows closed- sounds like he's down wind from
the crack houses in his neighborhood.

Hey Fill you and I have gone around before you are an obnoxious
brainwashed fool.......there is never middle ground with you its fills
way or no way ten years from now with maybe huge advances in cat food
you will continue to spout outdated information. I probably know less
about cats than anyone here but some of you are really going out on a
limb dispensing medical advice. Behavioral problems I can see but some
of you go way beyond that and how many times are you quoting someone
elses post from a week month or year ago......if I hear once more
what a super guy fill is I am going to puke his mouth can come close
to matching Marys sometimes and I usually try not to take advice from
someone that foul. I'm not saying you are wrong because frankly I
don't know but I have found alot of people who have been extremely
happy with a dry diet with healthy happy cats. Did they run you out of
that other group......I left because of you and then lo and behold you
pop up here.....sigh

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old May 15th 05, 05:09 PM
Mary

"Diane" wrote in message
ink.net...
In article 3fJhe.34656$yV4.31150@okepread03,
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

When you try to belittle someone who works hard by constantly talking

about
her cleaning toilets, you only succeed in belittling yourself.

APPLAUSE!

--

Diane, I can respect MaryL's opinion. However, you are just a pussy
who hides behind your killfile and allows others to speak for you.

Old May 15th 05, 05:46 PM
Phil P.

wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message

[...]

....and you're dumb enough to come back for more after I made a complete and
utter ass out of you the first time around? LOL!

You said you could write a paragraph about how much better dry food is than
canned-- what happened, Brat? Can't walk it like you talk it, eh? LOL!

Did they run you out of
that other group......I left because of you

Great! Hopefully you'll leave this one, too. You're not exactly a fountain
of feline knowledge- and judging from your mentality, you'll never be one.

and then lo and behold you
pop up here.....

You really are a ****in' moron, aren't you, Brat? I've been here for 6
years! ROTFL!

Old May 16th 05, 06:51 PM
animzmirot

"Phil P." wrote in message

"animzmirot" wrote in message
Got our kitty back from the vet this morning. $1129.14 poorer, I might

add.
He was in the vets for 3 nights, Highlights of the bill were
hospitalization charges including "biowaste management" ($3.99 ea) at
$122.40 per night, $120 for a CBC and chemistries, $114 for 1/2 hour
anesthesia, $122 for the urinary obstruction, and $102 for the saline

IV.

They did give us a 10 lb bag of C/D food complementary. Big whoop!

You might want to speak to your vet about the canned version of c/d. Dry
c/d is less efficacious than canned c/d. The benefits of canned c/d are
increased water intake and water turnover- which results in the dilution

of
noxious substances in urine; more frequent urination which- decreases
bladder contact time with urine, and eliminates crystal particles before
they
aggregate or accrete into larger and larger crystals and uroliths/plugs

that
can obstruct the urethra.

We already spoke about it. The canned CD is unpalitable to my cat, and I'm
not all that unhappy about that because it makes your entire house reek.
That stuff is the most noxious smelling 'food' you can imagine. My boy
normally drinks a lot, and will drink anytime you sit on the john and turn
on the bathroom faucet, so he's obviously getting plenty of water. He's no
longer blocked, and with the antibiotics (a delightful banana flavored
amoxycillian liquid) and the CD dry, I have faith that he'll be OK. I think
this whole episode was caused by extreme stress, as we moved from one house
to another and he had to stay with a cat sitter for a while in between
houses. Now that the stress is gone, and he has a lot of boxes to claw at,
he's back to his grumpy old self, the kitty we all love despite his bad
habits.

Marjorie

Phil

.

Old May 16th 05, 07:05 PM
-L.

animzmirot wrote:
[...]

M,

Coming late to this but glad he's on the mend. FWIW, Waltham's makes a
food similar to C/D that is much more palatible, if you ever need an
alternative.

take care,
-L.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Back - and Mikey update (long) LOL Cat anecdotes 60 June 14th 04 05:55 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM