Feral kitten and litter box

Old August 30th 04, 12:57 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"Wendy" wrote:

He is too old to *need* that. However, try standing him in the litter box,
take his paws and scratch, then gently wipe his bum.

That'll be good exercise for me, too, since I have to lean in through
the top door in the big cage in order to reach the box. ;-)

Then take his paws and
scratch again. It will probably only take a time or two before he gets the
picture and is using the box on his own. It's always worked with my foster
kitties.

Okey dokey. I've tried the things separately, but not together. He's a
little tired of being "worked on" now, though, and he's getting a rest
with a warm wrapped hot water bottle and a darkened room. When I give
him his evening snack and cuddle (as opposed to his midnight snack and
cuddle -- he eats maybe a teaspoon of food each time) I'll try that
gambit.

I am determined to have him box trained before my mother arrives on
Wednesday.

Thanks!

Priscilla
Old August 30th 04, 02:46 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Priscilla H Ballou at
wrote on 8/29/04 5:45 PM:

In rec.pets.cats.rescue Priscilla Ballou wrote:

I've now had 24 hours to bond with the kitten and see it progress in its
trust and comfort level, and a little while ago the girl who wanted the
kitten came knocking on my door asking for the kitten back to give to
her aunt. I told her: 1) my friend Melissa and I were now in charge of
the cat and I had to talk to her, since she was probably also wanting to
take it and 2) it was too young to go anywhere yet. No way am I giving
that kitten to relatives of those idiots. They let their dog run loose
on our (admittedly quiet) street, and they let their daughter's first
cat go outside.
I'm not letting that kitten go to anyone until 1) it's had its vet
checkup and had its parasite problems and eye discharge resolved and 2)
it's at least 8 - 12 weeks old and figured out what its litter box is
for and that the dish of food in its cage can be eaten any time and it
doesn't have to be deliberately fed by a caregiver.
They have to understand that they handed over responsbility, and I've
taken that responsibility!

The girl now came back, backed up by her older sister. She says her
brother says he found the cat, so it's his, and he wants it back. I stuck
to my guns, saying that when they gave the cat to me they gave me
responsibility for it.

This is very hard, and I may end up in a bad relationship with a neighbor
over it. But this sweet kitten is going to my friend who's already in
love with it, or to her friend, not to these people who don't know how to
treat animals.

******

Priscilla

Priscilla, they *will* get over it. I highly doubt the parents are all that
keen about it, but are giving into kiddy complaints. You stick to your guns.
There is really nothing they can do.

Old August 30th 04, 03:15 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Karen Chuplis wrote:

Priscilla, they *will* get over it. I highly doubt the parents are all that
keen about it, but are giving into kiddy complaints. You stick to your guns.
There is really nothing they can do.

Well, we do have to live just a few houses apart until one or t'other
decides to sell (unlikely), but thanks. I have a very hard time dealing
with other people not liking things I do or say, and this is setting off
a lot of anxiety for me. I'm supposed to be cleaning house for my
mother's visit later this week, and the anxiety is really grinding away.
So every once in a while I go upstairs, give Sprocket another teaspoon
of food if he's interested, and snuggle for a while. He's a very good
snuggle kitten. ;-)

Oh, and did I say that my nextdoor neighbor came over and says that she
agrees with my original assessment that he's more like 4 weeks old than
6 weeks old? The vet didn't see him before estimating. She was going
on a description over the phone. He's *really* a little guy. Ain't no
way some clueless kids are getting their paws on such a tiny critter, if
I have anything to say about it! So there. ;-)

Priscilla

Old August 30th 04, 11:55 AM
Wendy

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
Karen Chuplis wrote:

[...]

If the neighbors say anything just exaggerate a little and tell them that
he's so young he has to be bottle fed every 3 hours and isn't box trained
yet. I doubt they will be keen to take on the care of this kitten and that
will be the end of it.

Old August 30th 04, 04:56 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Wendy wrote:

If the neighbors say anything just exaggerate a little and tell them that
he's so young he has to be bottle fed every 3 hours and isn't box trained
yet. I doubt they will be keen to take on the care of this kitten and that
will be the end of it.

Actually, I've been wondering if he might do well with a supplemental
bottle, and I'm going to ask the vet about that on Wednesday. I think
he'd really groove on being nursed. He loves to be held close to a warm
body and petted. Really misses his Mommy, poor little sprout.

Oh, and he's NOT box trained! Oh, well, he may be because I've been doing
little exercises with him and there was no poop on his blanket this
morning, but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Priscilla

Old August 31st 04, 12:05 AM
MarieBMW

We have a cat who was a feral rescue at 4 weeks of age. One of my coworkers
rescued the kittens from under her shed. They were skin and bones-obviously not
getting enough milk. I had the same litter pan problem with Louie that you
have. He did not know what a litter pan was for. My husband who is a vet
suggested that a little poop of his in the litter box couldn't hurt and would
train him that this was the place he needed to do his business. It worked
although it took him several weeks to figure it out, so don't worry if your
kitty still has accidents. Also, you might try setting his food away from the
litter pan. Cats don't like to eat and do their business in the same vicinity.
Good luck

Marie
http://hometown.aol.com/mariebmw/myhomepage/pet.html