Mom [OT]

Old March 30th 04, 06:30 PM
David Yehudah

In English the difference was between 'thee' and 'thou' until a couple
of hundred years ago when they morphed into 'you' in common usage. Some
Quakers still maintain the distinction.

CK wrote:
Marina wrote:

I suppose our culture is just much more relaxed here in Scandinavia.
Everyone uses first names, and hardly ever do you hear a Mr or Mrs,
not to
mention a Professor or a Sir/Madam (I don't even think we have that
kind of
words in Swedish or Finnish). I was on first-name basis with my
teachers at
university from day one. At work everyone, from the head of the
department
to every part-time teacher, are on first-name basis with each other. The
only time you use last names is to avoid confusion if there are several
people with the same first name. I've never worked in the corporate
world,
but as I understand it, the same goes there.

I work "in the corporate world" and it's first names galore here too
fairly high "up the ladder", except I don't think I'd address any of the
big directors by their first names, as I don't meet them on a daily
basis and they wouldn't know who I am. Can't expect them to know names
and faces of thousands of employees, now can you? I'd address the
biggies with Director last name, would "read the situation" from there
on, whether to use the "formal you" (teititellä, ni-form, siezen,
vouvoyer(sp?)), or the "familiar you" (sinutella, du-form, duzen, tutoyer).

Old March 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
news
Jette Goldie wrote:

My name - as given to me by my parents - is perhaps a
little difficult for the average Scot to pronounce -
Georgette, with a soft French G

So is it pronounced "Zheor-zhette" (the "zh" is like the s in "vision",
or like the j in the French "je".) Or is one of the G's like the English
j (like "jello", etc)?

Zheorzhette.

But in Scots that gets "J....jet". Close as anyone is gonna
come, so Jette it is!

(but I do love visiting France and getting my proper name)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old March 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

Air trapped in a cavity or loose filling may expand when increased
altitude causes it to expand. It could be very painful.

Yer really grasping at straws there, dude. I mean, what about all the

other
pilots from say North America and Europe and places like that. I guess

all
of their cavity filled mouths must be screaming in pain every time they

go
flying!

Yeah, I mean, great. Next time I fly (which will be this Sunday), I'm
going to worry that the pilot might get a sudden expansion of air inside
one of his fillings and go insane with the pain and crash the plane.

Oh thanks - I'm flying on Sunday too! And I have to take two
planes ..... one from Glasgow to Newark and one from Newark
to Orlando.

Old March 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
David Yehudah wrote:

Hebrew has no curse words, so the Israelis curse in Arabic. The
worst you can do in Hebrew is "atta beheymah (you're an
animal)" or "lech l'Azazel (go to the devil).

I didn't know that. I mean, I know it was a "dead" language for eons
(as far as common speech is concerned) before Israel was established,
but didn't the ancients ever swear?? For that matter, haven't any new
curses been invented? I guess not, apparently they don't need to, with
the availability of Arabic swears.

I dunno - I had a Japanese friend for a while, over here as
an exchange student. He swore colourfully and fluently in
Scots English..... and said that his native Japanese had no
curse words he could really use.

So that's probably why they are so prone to seppuko -
can't curse worth a darn, so they have to go commit
violence on themselves!

Old March 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Cathi

In message , Adrian
writes
Cathi wrote:
Anyone else get ticked off if their name is shortened beyond where
they would care to shorten it?

Example: My name is Catherine. I choose to be known as Cathi in
common parlance (although family have always called me Katie). But I
don't choose to be known as Cath.. *Particularly* with the Estuary
English "pronunciation", which is a long "a", and a double "f" at the
end :"Caaaaaff" It just sounds lazy and sloppy. I had one co-worker
who would always remember half-way through using it, so it would come
out as"*Caaaaff*-i" For heaven's sake - I'm a human being, not a
greasy spoon diner as immortalised in EastEnders!

Would Cat be OK? ;-)

:-D

I use the nickname "Catsmeat" on a number of talkboards, and get a fair
number of variations on that, including Cat, Catz and Catsy.

I guess what I *really* objected to, if the truth be told, was the "ff"
instead of the "th". Cath is at least a name given to people (my aunt
was a Kath, short for Kathleen). Didn't help that co-worker in question
was a nasty piece of work anyhow ;-)

--
Cathi
Old March 30th 04, 06:36 PM
David Yehudah

Sounds like the Israelis and the Palestinians. The Israelis refuse to
learn Arabic and the Palestinians refuse to learn Hebrew, so they
communicate in English. I saw a news clip of israeli soldiers ordering
Palestinians out of a bunker, and the phrases they were using sounded
like an old gangster movie.

John F. Eldredge wrote:

The various ethnic-Chinese exchange students that
I came to know were from a variety of countries, and a variety of
ethnic sub-categories (my room-mate was Hakka, for example), so they
didn't always share the same dialect of Chinese and sometimes had to
use English to communicate between themselves.

Old March 30th 04, 06:48 PM
David Yehudah

Not really. I guess it would depend on the circumstances and whether you
came across as chilly or distant. Most likely they would consider the
source and figure you are just trying to be polite or were unfamiliar
with the verb forms involved. Personally, I almost always use the formal
mode, but that's just the way I was taught. It's awful hard to
unintentionally offend that way.

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

David Yehudah had some very interesting
things to say about Mom [OT]:

A lot depends on where she's from. In most parts of Mexico the informal
"tu" is okay unless there is a great disparity in social level or age.
In some parts, particularly around Eastern Mexico, to call someone you
don't know well or who is on a higher social level or older than you, to
say "tu" is a deliberate insult.

Which has me wanting to double-check on a related question: if you're
normally on a "tu" basis with someone and switch to "usted" forms,
will the other person take that as evidence that you're seriously
unhappy with him/her?

Old March 30th 04, 06:59 PM
David Yehudah

They were born and raised in Mexico until age 5 when we moved here for
them to go to school. They still say "Ma-MA" to their mother.

A funny side note; when we moved here to the US, they didn't speak a
word of English (they spoke mostly Spanish and a bit of Hebrew). They
wanted to put them in bilingual classes but I refused. English only I
insisted. Within 6 weeks they sounded like little gringos; today they
speak both languages without an accent. In English they sound like
typical Texans, and in Spanish they sound as if they never left Mexico.

Kreisleriana wrote:

Ooooh! Are they American!! Do they say "Mom"?

See, we've come round full circle.