some cat questions

Old October 6th 04, 04:42 PM
Laila

Default some cat questions

i got Shaina spayed last week and she is doing fine. more lively than
ever. i was wondering if she needs a FRV/RTC yearly vaccination if
she is an indoor only cat? the vets, at least the receptionists who
do the billing at that hospital, are very shifty. they tried to add
such things as deworming, FLV and FIV vaccines . i literally had to
lean over the counter, point to every single thing that Shaina doesn't
need done for her to remove it.
the spay certificate was $55 and the rabies vaccine $35 + $13.5 for
amoxicillin drops. ok that's fine. when i came in to pick her up and
pay, they give me a bill for $98 or something. i was like, and did i
have two cats to spay? no, apparently the vet cleaned her ears during
the surgery. i asked why and why wasn't i informed of this and asked
before hand? was she in any imminent danger? apparently, the vet
thought the ears were in just a "horrible condition", but it appeared
there was no infection. that's lovely, i said, why wasn't i told
about this when someone called me from your office after the surgery
and said that Shaina is ok? was the procedure done before they called
me, or after? they said that it was done during the surgery, so
before they called me. i said i am not paying for this. the
receptionist mumbled something, and removed the charges. what the
hell! then they were very insistent on her FPV/RTC vaccination. does
she absolutely need it if she is an indoor cat?
they also clipped her claws, which i didn't asked for. at least they
didn't decide to charge for it. at least they didn't turn her into a
persian cat and decided to charge for it!

-L
"Humankind will not be free until the last Kremlin commissar is strangled with
the entrails of the last Pentagon chief of staff." --Edward Abbey
Old October 7th 04, 05:20 PM
KellyH

"Laila" wrote in message
i got Shaina spayed last week and she is doing fine. more lively than
ever. i was wondering if she needs a FRV/RTC yearly vaccination if
she is an indoor only cat? the vets, at least the receptionists who
do the billing at that hospital, are very shifty. they tried to add
such things as deworming, FLV and FIV vaccines . i literally had to
lean over the counter, point to every single thing that Shaina doesn't
need done for her to remove it.

If Shaina was never dewormed, it is a good idea to have that done. Most
kittens, especially kittens born to stray moms, are born with worms. IIRC,
you got Shaina as a little kitten from a rescue? They may have dewormed
her, you should probably double-check her records.
She should have the FVRCP vaccine, if she hasn't already. Again, check her
records from the rescue. You may want to do some research on vaccines and
decide how often she should have it. The newest thinking is the FVRCP
vaccine is good for 3 years. This is just my opinion, but the FeLV and FIV
vaccines are not neccessary for indoor cats.

the spay certificate was $55 and the rabies vaccine $35 + $13.5 for
amoxicillin drops. ok that's fine. when i came in to pick her up and
pay, they give me a bill for $98 or something. i was like, and did i
have two cats to spay? no, apparently the vet cleaned her ears during
the surgery.

I'm a little confused. Was the bill $98 total, or $98 for an ear cleaning?
Sometimes vets will do the ear cleaning for free, just for the heck of it.
Did they check for earmites? If that's the case, then a charge of $15 or so
is appropriate. If it were my cat, I would not mind this, as earmites can
be very detrimental to a cat if not caught and treated. If she was born
stray, this is something kittens commonly "come with".

All in all, the charges seem fairly reasonable to me.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 7th 04, 05:34 PM
~*Connie*~

The vet was just looking out for your cat's best interest. The ear gave him
concern, so he cleaned it. Yes, he probably should have asked you about it
before hand, but no one did. Would you really want your cat to suffer with
bad ears???

The trimming of the claws is standard procedure when pets are sedated.

As for the distemper complex - it covers a wide variety of diseases that are
transmittable through you if you come in contact with them. aka you can
bring them home to your beloved kitty. Felv is not necessary if it is an
indoor only cat as that is a cat to cat contact transmission. I would
highly recommend the distemper complex to indoor only cats when they are
younger. after they have had a few and have build up immunity, you can go
longer between vaccines.

Old October 7th 04, 08:08 PM
Laila

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:20:50 GMT, "KellyH" wrote:

"Laila" wrote in message
.. .
i got Shaina spayed last week and she is doing fine. more lively than
ever. i was wondering if she needs a FRV/RTC yearly vaccination if
she is an indoor only cat? the vets, at least the receptionists who
do the billing at that hospital, are very shifty. they tried to add
such things as deworming, FLV and FIV vaccines . i literally had to
lean over the counter, point to every single thing that Shaina doesn't
need done for her to remove it.

If Shaina was never dewormed, it is a good idea to have that done. Most
kittens, especially kittens born to stray moms, are born with worms. IIRC,
you got Shaina as a little kitten from a rescue? They may have dewormed
her, you should probably double-check her records.

oh, she was dewormed twice. once before i got her at the shelter and
after the second time at that vet's office, she went through a course
of Albon. she is fine. she was also tested for Giardia at that
office and she was negative for that.

She should have the FVRCP vaccine, if she hasn't already.

she was vaccinated against panleukopenia (distemper), rhinotracheitis,
calicivirus, and chlamidya. she is due for a rabies booster next year
and the FPV/RTC (that's how it's written on my invoice, i misspelled
it above) is described as a yearly vaccination. when i came to their
hospital for the first time, i gave them all of this information,
including the rescue group i got her from. they lost it.

Again, check her
records from the rescue. You may want to do some research on vaccines and
decide how often she should have it. The newest thinking is the FVRCP
vaccine is good for 3 years. This is just my opinion, but the FeLV and FIV
vaccines are not neccessary for indoor cats.

ok. i will check. FLV and FIV are not even that effective.

the spay certificate was $55 and the rabies vaccine $35 + $13.5 for
amoxicillin drops. ok that's fine. when i came in to pick her up and
pay, they give me a bill for $98 or something. i was like, and did i
have two cats to spay? no, apparently the vet cleaned her ears during
the surgery.

I'm a little confused. Was the bill $98 total, or $98 for an ear cleaning?

it was $98 total. $48 for rabies vaccine + amoxy drops and $50 for
ear cleaning. yep. the spaying procedure was paid for with the spay
certificate. the doctors there are really nice and knowledgeable.
they have a shisty staff who think they can speak with authority on
what is necessary treatment and try to hang all sorts of fees and
procedures on us without even consulting the vet. when i go to see a
physician, i expect to be told what each treatment is for, what are
the risks, what are the alternatives, what happens if i go without it.
i don't blindly agree to what someone with a Dr. in front of their
name tells me.

Sometimes vets will do the ear cleaning for free, just for the heck of it.
Did they check for earmites? If that's the case, then a charge of $15 or so
is appropriate. If it were my cat, I would not mind this, as earmites can
be very detrimental to a cat if not caught and treated. If she was born
stray, this is something kittens commonly "come with".

she just had wax in her ears. there were no mites. after i insisted
that the receptionist ask the vet about what was done and what was
found, the receptionist came back and said there were no mites and i
will not be charged. i don't like being charged without being told
about the procedure first. it's not done with humans, unless they are
in the ER, so there is no reason why it should be done with animals.
i also don't appreciate being treated like a car mechanic's customer
where you come in to do an oil change and they replace your spark
plugs because they were dusty.

-L

"Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination."

"A good philosopher is one who does not take ideas seriously."

"If the world is irrational, we can never know it--either it or its irrationality."

"Humility is a virtue when you have no other."

"The more fantastic an ideology or theology, the more fanatic are its adherents."

"The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages--as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already."

"If the end does not justify the means--what can?"

"Reason has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried."

"Is there a God? Who knows? Is there an angry unicorn on the dark side of the moon?"

"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues."

"Christian theology: nothing so grotesque could possibly be true."

"Only a fool is astonished by the foolishness of mankind."

"I hate intellectual discussion. When I hear the words `phenomenology' or `structuralism', I reach for my buck knife."

"When I hear the word `culture', I reach for my checkbook."

"From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm."

"What's the difference between the Lone Ranger and God? There really is a Lone Ranger."

"What did Jesus say to the headwaiter at the Last Supper? `Separate checks, please.'"

"Every analysis leaves a residue of the unknown; this we call God or Karma or--depending on time and place--the UFO. (Unidentified ****ing Object)."

"Every man has two vocations: his own and philosophy."

"Through logic and inference we can prove anything. Therefore, logic and inference, in contrast to ordinary daily living experience, are secondary instruments of knowledge. Probably tertiary."

"Proverbs save us the trouble of thinking. What we call folk wisdom is often no more than a kind of expedient stupidity."

"Appearance *versus* reality? Appearance *is* reality, God damn it!"

"In both metaphysics and art, honesty is the best policy. Keep it clean."

"Mormonism: Nothing so hilarious could possibly be true. Or all bad."

"Nothing could be more reckless than to base one's moral philosophy on the latest pronouncements of science."

"My cousin Elroy spent seven years as an IBM taper staring at THINK signs on the walls before he finally got a good idea: He quit."

"My computer tells me that in twenty-five years there will be no more computers."

"We are all ONE, say the gurus. Aye, I might agree--but one WHAT?"

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward."

"God is love? Not bloody likely."
"Metaphysics is a cobweb that the mind weaves around things."

"The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow."

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense. But men of intellect will believe anything-- if it appeals to their ego, their vanity, their sense of self-importance."

"What ideal, immutable Platonic cloud could equal the beauty and perfection of any ordinary everyday cloud floating over, say, Tuba City, Arizona, on a hot day in June?"

"Zen: the sound of the ax chopping. Chopping logic."

"The function of an ideal is not to be realized but, like that of the North Star, to serve as a guiding point."

"This world may be only illusion--but it's the only illusion we've got."

"Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage."

"Truth is merely common sense, say the naive realist. Really? Then where, precisely, is the location of--a rainbow? In the air? In the eye? In between? Or somewhere else?"

Old October 7th 04, 08:20 PM
Laila

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:34:48 -0400, "~*Connie*~" wrote:

The vet was just looking out for your cat's best interest. The ear gave him
concern, so he cleaned it. Yes, he probably should have asked you about it
before hand, but no one did. Would you really want your cat to suffer with
bad ears???

of course i wouldn't want that. i do want to be appropriately
informed of what is going to be done and why. i don't see why
informed consent doesn't apply to treatment of pets. yeah, i realize
they can't ask my kitty, but they can ask me. furthermore, what kind
of a price is this for mites check and ear cleaning, $50? i also wish
i'd asked the vet how to clean Shaina's ears. it's so easy to trim
her claws, but i haven't been able to get farther than 5mm from the
top of her ear.

The trimming of the claws is standard procedure when pets are sedated

oh, that's fine. i trim her claws every month. sometimes it's
accompanied by hissing and biting, but i can understand that. i don't
like to trim her hind claws too short because she needs them for
traction. she jumps A LOT!

As for the distemper complex - it covers a wide variety of diseases that are
transmittable through you if you come in contact with them. aka you can
bring them home to your beloved kitty. Felv is not necessary if it is an
indoor only cat as that is a cat to cat contact transmission. I would
highly recommend the distemper complex to indoor only cats when they are
younger. after they have had a few and have build up immunity, you can go
longer between vaccines.

she had that complex of vaccines. and she was tested (-) for FeLV and
FeIV. i gave them that info in May, but they lost it, i suppose while
moving from one office location to another. that's quite
irresponsible. satisfied with the treatment. and so is Shaina. the
vets there did a very good job with everything. i am extremely
dissatisfied with how they treat the customer and how they are
careless with the paperwork.
besides, i am a student. i hardly have anything to live on. if i did
have the money, i wouldn't mind paying $50 for an ear cleaning. i
wouldn't taken her to a more expensive office also and i would 've
paid $300 for her spaying. still, i wouldn't put up with such
careless and dismissive treatment by their staff who apparently can't
even keep track of the paperwork!

i will take SHaina for the FPV/RTC vaccine early next April. that's
when she was born. they describe this as a yearly vaccine complex at
their office.

-L

.. .

Old October 8th 04, 04:31 AM
KellyH

"Laila" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:20:50 GMT, "KellyH" wrote:

she was vaccinated against panleukopenia (distemper), rhinotracheitis,
calicivirus, and chlamidya. she is due for a rabies booster next year

Yep, that's the FVRCP vacc. She's all set on that.

and the FPV/RTC (that's how it's written on my invoice, i misspelled
it above) is described as a yearly vaccination. when i came to their
hospital for the first time, i gave them all of this information,
including the rescue group i got her from. they lost it.

I'm not sure if they are just referring to the FVRCP in a different manner.
I've never heard of it as FPV/RTC. It could be the same thing.

ok. i will check. FLV and FIV are not even that effective.

I don't think so, either. I would only get the FLV vacc if my cats went
outside or I had a FeLV+ cat in the house.

she just had wax in her ears. there were no mites. after i insisted
that the receptionist ask the vet about what was done and what was
found, the receptionist came back and said there were no mites and i
will not be charged. i don't like being charged without being told
about the procedure first. it's not done with humans, unless they are
in the ER, so there is no reason why it should be done with animals.
i also don't appreciate being treated like a car mechanic's customer
where you come in to do an oil change and they replace your spark
plugs because they were dusty.

True, and I understand your feelings. I could only see charging you for the
ear cleaning if she were infested with mites or something. It sounds like
the office staff just see someone bringing a kitten and think that's their
opportunity to charge them for the works.