Boyfriend donates his fur

Old May 19th 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfriend donates his fur

I have put the combings from his Zoom Grooming today out - in a little
basket that usually hold a suet block during the winter - for the birdies to
line their nests with.
I usually remember to do this a bit earlier, but it has been such a bad,
rainy, cold spring that I am hoping the birds who like cat fur for their
nests (the blue tits and great tits, like chickadees) have held off from
nesting. If they haven't their broods are doomed - it's so cold that there
are not many insects around yet and the birds depend on them to feed their
babies.
It was 10C today, around 50F.
Wettest April since records began in the 1830's. May is usually my
favourite month but is cold and cloudy.
I still have to put a blanket around my knees if I sit down to watch TV.
This suits Boyfriend. Now he knows it is not dangerous to sit on my knee,
he wants to do it all the time.
And he likes to knead before he lies down.
Tina

Old May 20th 12, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
[...]

I haven't seen any young blue tits or great tits yet, I have seen young
blackbirds, thrushes, robins & goldfinches. There's a starlings nest in the
roof and I expect them to fledge any day now.
--
Adrian

Old May 20th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 19, 5:42*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Boyfie is such a thoughtful cat to donate his fur to the birds :-)

I collect fur out of the cat brushes, dryer lint, and threads from
sewing and offer
it to the birds. I've also seen birds collect their own fur off
Frank's back years ago. I
had no idea birds could be so brazen, but these days he only donates
his fur
via brushing.

Sherry
Old May 20th 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I collect fur out of the cat brushes, dryer lint, and threads from
sewing and offer it to the birds.

Somebody here pointed out that having your chicks grow up associating
the fur of your deadliest predator with being warm and cared for in
the nest isn't giving them quite the right idea for later in life...

Old May 20th 12, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I collect fur out of the cat brushes, dryer lint, and threads from
sewing and offer it to the birds.

Somebody here pointed out that having your chicks grow up associating
the fur of your deadliest predator with being warm and cared for in
the nest isn't giving them quite the right idea for later in life...

I did not see the post that suggested that.
Do you think that the birds who have cat fur in the lining of their nest
know what it is? Of course they don't. They just want it to line their
nests, and Boyfie is happy to donate his for the cause.
Tweed

Old May 20th 12, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I'm sure the birds are grateful! Can you believe that, despite the
weird weather we've been experiencing world-wide, there are STILL moron
politicians who deny science to claim "Global Warming" has no basis in
fact? Half the U.S. is likely to burn away in wild-fires largely due to
unseasonable heat and drought, the other half to drown in too much
moisture. (Not to mention what both do to the food supply!)

Old May 20th 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I collect fur out of the cat brushes, dryer lint, and threads from
sewing and offer it to the birds.

Somebody here pointed out that having your chicks grow up associating
the fur of your deadliest predator with being warm and cared for in
the nest isn't giving them quite the right idea for later in life...

I did not see the post that suggested that.
Do you think that the birds who have cat fur in the lining of their nest
know what it is? Of course they don't. They just want it to line their
nests, and Boyfie is happy to donate his for the cause.
Tweed

Assuming the fur would still smell of cat after lining a nest, do birds
even have scent glands? If not, how would they know the source of that
nice, soft fluff?

Old May 23rd 12, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message

I haven't seen any young blue tits or great tits yet, I have seen young
blackbirds, thrushes, robins & goldfinches. There's a starlings nest in
the
roof and I expect them to fledge any day now.
--

I haven't seen any blue or great tit youngsters either this year. Boyfie's
fur has all been taken now so maybe they delayed nesting.

Tweed