add and kitten

Old December 16th 04, 04:33 PM
ken

Default add and kitten

Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

Old December 16th 04, 04:53 PM
Mischief

*watching the cats*

Oh I'm sorry, did you say something? :P

Kristi

PS. Most animals that I've met have ADD to a certain extent. I've
found dogs to be the worst, but cats can have it too.

Old December 16th 04, 05:50 PM
jmcquown

ken wrote:
Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or
is there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

It depends on the cat, I'm sure. I didn't get Persia as a kitten but she
rarely stays entertained by one thing (except for watching 'Cat TV', which
is staring at the wild birds and squirrels out the window). She will
vigorously play with and just as quickly forget about a cat toy in a short
span of time, only to decide it is fascinating again a month or so later. I
suspect it's a ruse to keep me buying new cat toys.

Persia has never paid the slightest bit of attention to the television but I
know some cats do. They're all different. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jill

Old December 16th 04, 05:56 PM
Denise VanDyke

Mischief wrote:
*watching the cats*

Oh I'm sorry, did you say something? :P

Kristi

PS. Most animals that I've met have ADD to a certain extent. I've
found dogs to be the worst, but cats can have it too.

Most kittens have a very short attention span. Many of them grow out of
that. Some don't. Brenna has, sort of. If she's really concentrating,
she's fine until distracted. Otherwise, she just flits from one thing
to another. At least she's gotten past the point of
runrunrunplayplayrunplay*thud*sleepsnore*bounce*ru nrunplay.

- Denise

Old December 16th 04, 06:19 PM
Mary

"ken" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

I think the one that watches TV is the unusual one.

Old December 16th 04, 06:32 PM
Melissa Houle

ken wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

Nina also has a short attention span, and she's not interested in the TV.
From her point of view, everything is a potential toy, but if they don't
amuse her in the first 30 seconds, she's on to the next thing. She has also,
fortunately, momentarily stopped playing with the toilet paper. =o)

Melissa

Old December 16th 04, 06:39 PM
Bill Stock

"ken" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

I think they're all just different. Our youngest cat has a short attention
span, forgets why she was doing what she was doing. While our older cat
seems to have a very orderly personality. You can tell her you're going to
bed, but she might not arrive until an hour later. She has to attend to her
cat duties first.

Neither cat has any interest in the TV, unless I put the "Bird Video" in the
VCR. In fact the oldest cat was petrified of the TV for about two years
after we got her. Either she had never seen a TV or she was chased out of
the Living Room as a kitten.

Old December 16th 04, 07:48 PM
Margaret Fine

ken wrote:
Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

Maybe she just doesn't like your choice of programs? We've been
watching Star Trek: Deep Space 9 reruns. When the show starts Oliver
runs into the room and sits on the arm of the sofa and watches. He
seems enthralled. Maybe he knows how close he came to being named Worf.

--
Margaret Fine

Old December 16th 04, 08:24 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On 16 Dec 2004 07:33:17 -0800, "ken" wrote:

Is it possible that a kitten can have attention deficit disorder? Or is
there just a lot of individual variation?

we have 2 kittens from the same litter - one sat by the tv watching
"kitty safari" for 30 minutes...The other glanced at it and went on to
another activity..

She also reacts that way to new toys.

Ken

Personally, I believe *all* kittens have ADD! ;-)

Ginger-lyn
watching Arthur go boing! at anything that attracts his attention -
for five seconds.