Half Siamese, Half Himalayan=?

Old December 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
-L.

Yeah, NS. It amazing how "honorable" all these people are who breed,
yet the shelters are full of purebreds...

-L.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:41 AM
Orchid

On 21 Dec 2004 16:45:31 -0800, "-L." wrote:

Yeah, NS. It amazing how "honorable" all these people are who breed,
yet the shelters are full of purebreds...

Full of? You have got to be joking. Or are you saying that
anything that has points is a purebred Siamese? Or a long-haird brown
tabby is a Maine Coon? Or a cat with a spot anywhere on it's body is
a Bengal?

If those are your requirements, then yes, the shelters are
full of purebreds. If not, the purebred cat population makes up
around six percent of the population of owned cats and only 3.8
percent of the entire known population of cats. Roaming, free
breeding cats, on the other hand, make up well over a third of the
known cat population. IMO, it's pretty easy to see where the problem
is.

Ob OP - Deliberately breeding mixed-breed cats (which a Himmie/Siamese
cross would be, as neither breed has acceptable outcrosses at this
time) is a bad idea. Not only would a responsible breeder refuse to
have their cats involved in such a thing, but it's generally a bad
idea. Unless you are willing to do all the prerequisite (and
expensive) genetic health testing (FHD, PKD, and HCM on the Himmie
side and pateller luxation, HCM, and nystigma on the Siamese side)
you'd be extrordinarily irresponsible instead of merely irresponsible.
And keep in mind that a Himmie/Siamese cross wouldn't necessarily have
all the best qualties of both -- the genetics of temperament are
exceedingly poorly understood at this point. People can say 'Siamese
are talkative and loyal' and 'Persians (which Himmies are classified
as) are gentle and docile' because these traits have been selected for
over decades of controlled breeding.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old December 22nd 04, 07:25 AM
-L.

Where are you getting your statistics? When I worked at the HS in
Indianapolis, the purebred animal rate ran around 12.5% Not all were
papered, some were, but all were, for all intents and purposes,
purebred. Not a pointed cat being a Siamese per your example, but a
pointed cat with Siamese confirmation being a Siamese, especially if
surrendered as a purebred. I hate to be the one to tell you but not
all purebred kittens are S/N and not all stay in their "loving, forever
homes". Breed rescue exists for a reason, and many times they are so
overun with purebreds rescued from shelters that other purebreds in the
shelters are euthanized along with the moggies.

I don't believe for a minute that anyone can come up with meaningful
statistics on feral cat populations and how they contribute to the
overpopulation problem.

Furthermore *every* cat that ends up at a shelter contributes to the
problem. Random-bred, "purebred", all of them. It's exactly this
"it's not my problem" attitude that breeders have which results in
kittens and cats on the dead pile. I've called more than one
"respected" breeder about one of their animals being surrendered and
the answer has been on more than one occasion, to kill the cat if a
home wasn't found. Bile-producing scum, they are.

-L.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:42 AM
Tracy

Honestly, it really saddens me to see people attributing the qualities
in a cat they admired to it's breed. They're all individual living
creatures, and a great cat is just a great cat because THEY are -
purebred or moggie (which is what Blue was, after all, part-siamese and
part himalayan is simply not a purebred cat). There is absolutely no
reason to believe that a similiar cross would have the same
characteristics at all and most probably it wouldn't. We don't need to
breed any more cats. What we need to do is find loving homes for all
the other great moggies who don't have them. If you are interested in
cats with these characteristics, then get involved in rescue. There's a
literal armada of part-siamese and part-himalayan and part-persian
cats, many of them beautiful and loving creatures, who need homes. Walk
into any shelter and there they are. Help them! I'm sure that would be
the best tribute to Blue you could possibly make and he'd definitely
approve.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
Orchid

On 21 Dec 2004 22:25:52 -0800, "-L." wrote:

Where are you getting your statistics?

http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sdanalysis.html

Fascinating read, btw.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
-L.

Orchid wrote:
On 21 Dec 2004 22:25:52 -0800, "-L." wrote:

Where are you getting your statistics?

http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sdanalysis.html

Fascinating read, btw.

Fascinating bias. Nice plagiarism, btw, too.

-L.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
-L.

Possibly the best reply to this thread, yet.

-L.

Old December 23rd 04, 08:35 PM
Mary

"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...
Possibly the best reply to this thread, yet.

-L.

If anyone knew who you were replying to, I still wouldn't be interested in
your opinion.

Old December 24th 04, 12:07 AM
Steve G

-L. wrote:
Orchid wrote:
On 21 Dec 2004 22:25:52 -0800, "-L." wrote:

Where are you getting your statistics?

http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sdanalysis.html

Fascinating read, btw.

Fascinating bias. Nice plagiarism, btw, too.

The site is operated by breeders, so they do have a vested interest in
showing a certain picture of cat ownership. Then again, you aren't
exactly being super-persuasive when your only rejoinder is 'nice bias'.

What plagiarism? The article is referenced, although the citations are,
for the most part, not complete.

S.

Old December 24th 04, 03:07 AM
-L.

Steve G wrote:
-L. wrote:
Orchid wrote:
On 21 Dec 2004 22:25:52 -0800, "-L." wrote:

Where are you getting your statistics?

http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sdanalysis.html

Fascinating read, btw.

Fascinating bias. Nice plagiarism, btw, too.

The site is operated by breeders, so they do have a vested interest

in
showing a certain picture of cat ownership. Then again, you aren't
exactly being super-persuasive when your only rejoinder is 'nice

bias'.

What plagiarism?

Orchid took her statements almost word for word from the article
including "it's pretty easy to see where the problem lies" or whatever
bull**** line it was. If you're (generic) going to use a source so
blatantly, cite it. Don't pass it off as your own unless someone asks.
-L.