Conan Hysteria and a Challenge

Old July 5th 05, 06:33 AM

Default Conan Hysteria and a Challenge

I am just shaking my head in disbelief at how this online rescue
attempt has snowballed into hundreds of posts, and so many people
actually clamoring to adopt, or aid in the adoption, of one cat.

It's a good thing. He's a lucky cat; no matter how many people don't
like the methods implemented, he has the ultimate second chance.

I just wonder how many of you have stopped to realize how many
adoptable cats, in that very shelter, were euthanized during the time
Conan was there, and in the six days since. How many strays,
relinqushed cats, kittens. How many pampered house cats belonging to
the eldery who've been dumped at the shelter when the owner must go to
a nursing home, or dies, are sitting there right now, terrified and
confused.

I'm not minimizing Conan's plight; he was certainly worthy of the
efforts, the emotional investment, the monetary donations. What I don't
get is the intrigue, the secrecy and the competition to help one cat.

I'd just like to suggest for those of you who got (and still are) so
emotionally involved in Conan, or disappointed that the rescue isn't as
public as you'd like it to be, to think about this. I'd challenge each
and every one of you to go to your local municipal pound and get a cat.
Not a humane society, or private shelter, I mean a municipal pound
where the cat is going to fry in 72 hours after it hits the cage if
it's not sprung.

Anybody can pull off a "rescue". Get the cat, take it for vetting, and
isolate it in an extra bedroom. Then incorporate every single resource
you know to find it a GOOD home. You've all seen excellent suggestions
right here.

It's a little work, a little hassle, and a little money. Big deal. I do
it all the time and I'm certainly not in good health, or financially
well off either.

Let the "other camp" have the glory and call the shots. And be happy
that Conan isn't in the dead animal dumpster behind OC Shelter. Then
concentrate your efforts on another cat. You'll be saving a life.

Sherry

Old July 5th 05, 07:17 AM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am just shaking my head in disbelief at how this online rescue
attempt has snowballed into hundreds of posts, and so many people
actually clamoring to adopt, or aid in the adoption, of one cat.

Nobody is doing any of that now. We're just being sad that he has
been in a cage for over a week because Monica is on a power trip
and turned down three wonderful adoptors.

I read your entire post and find it really depressing. Your assumptions
are way off base with regard to how many people do what for their
local shelters, and your take on this entire chain of events is misguided
at best.

This cat was on his way to a good home--a local home--when Monica
Towle persuaded Dan Mahoney to lie to us and put him in a cage in
a kennel for over a week. It's upsetting to those of us who have come
to care about this cat. If they all look alike and are alike and "what is
all this HYSTERIA about and etc," then what is clear is that you are
too jaded to be of any help.

Old July 5th 05, 07:26 AM

Mary wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, I don't think I'm jaded. At least I hope not. I admit my
assumptions could be way off base, because I have found it impossible
to keep up with every post and every player.
What I *do* see, are a whole bunch of extremely compassionate and
generous people concentrating on one cat. I can imagine what could be
accomplished, and how many *other* cats could be helped if those
resources were spread out, and not concentrated on one cat.
Sherry

Old July 5th 05, 07:43 AM
Meghan Noecker

On 4 Jul 2005 23:26:54 -0700, wrote:

What I *do* see, are a whole bunch of extremely compassionate and
generous people concentrating on one cat. I can imagine what could be
accomplished, and how many *other* cats could be helped if those
resources were spread out, and not concentrated on one cat.

If you get involved in a story, you want to know how it ends.

A lot of people were involved in this story, whether it was offering a
home, working on a flight, offering to donate money, calling the
shelter, or just thinking good thoughts. Some people donated to their
local shelters in honor of Conan.

But all of those people cared enough to want to know what happened to
him.

To have somebody come in (or somebody change the plans) and then go
silent on the issue is pretty frustrating.

Imagine going to the movies, paying your money, spending 2 hours
getting entrenched in the story, and then the movie cuts off with no
ending. Chances are, you'd be upset. And you wouldn't want a refund.
You'd rather just see the end of the movie. That is much more
satisfying.

Well, here we have a real life story, and the ending of this story is
more important than some fictional story. We have invested, our time
and emotion into this story, only to have it taken away.

Most people here just want to know what happened. What *really*
happened. We'd also like to know if this is a tragedy or a happy
ending.

It was looking like a tragedy, then a happy ending, and then we
weren't sure. Then we kept seeing various happy endings tossed in the
trash.

I really believe that most people just want to know what happened, and
they want to see an ending to the story, in other words, Conan getting
a permanent home. Until that ending happens, I doubt many people will
be satisfied.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old July 5th 05, 12:53 PM
PawsForThought

Meghan Noecker wrote:
[...]

Very well put, Meghan. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I
think knowing that this kitty is finally in a forever home would put a
lot of people's minds at ease, instead of playing guessing games. What
I don't understand is why it has to be so cloak and dagger. Why not be
up front and let people know the progress of the cat.

As to other cats in shelters, I think a lot of us are involved, in one
way or another, with our local rescue leagues/shelters. We may not all
post about it, but that doesn't mean we're not doing anything for other
needy and deserving animals.

just my 2 1/2 cents,
Lauren

Old July 5th 05, 04:17 PM

PawsForThought wrote:

Very well put, Meghan. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I
think knowing that this kitty is finally in a forever home would put a
lot of people's minds at ease, instead of playing guessing games. What
I don't understand is why it has to be so cloak and dagger. Why not be
up front and let people know the progress of the cat.

I don't understand the cloak-and-dagger thing, either.

As to other cats in shelters, I think a lot of us are involved, in one
way or another, with our local rescue leagues/shelters. We may not all
post about it, but that doesn't mean we're not doing anything for other
needy and deserving animals.

I am fully aware of that. Mary insinutated that I rather minimized the
extent that other people are already involved in their local shelters.
I did not, and that thought actually never crossed my mind. I'm aware
that a whole lot of posters are already quite involved. I also know
that just be virtue of being enough of a cat-lover to reguarly post
here, means they care enough about the species to contribute to the
welfare of cats at whatever level they're able to on a regular basis.
In fact, my own personal theory about the Conan frenzy is that this one
cat turned into a living singular example of frustraion and heartbreak
over the hundreds of nice, adoptable cats who are dumped at a shelter
right now. None of us can save them all, but this time everybody had a
chance to save one, and Conan symbolized all of them. It was really
neat to see it unfold until it turned icky.
I hope you get your answers. And yes, I do agree that you all need
that.
Another wacko nutjob theory I have is that, the majority of people who
regularly do rescue, and many of the best voluteers, are control
freaks. I don't say that in a bad way. But it's true from what I see
everyday. Could be a contributing factor in this deal.

Sherry

Old July 5th 05, 04:24 PM
Philip

PawsForThought wrote:
snip
I think knowing that this kitty is finally in a forever home would put a
lot of people's minds at ease, instead of playing guessing games. What
I don't understand is why it has to be so cloak and dagger. Why not be
up front and let people know the progress of the cat.

As to other cats in shelters, I think a lot of us are involved, in one
way or another, with our local rescue leagues/shelters. We may not all
post about it, but that doesn't mean we're not doing anything for other
needy and deserving animals.

just my 2 1/2 cents,
Lauren

Hhahaha. These people will bicker because any home found will not be the
home of THEIR choosing nor will it be soon enough, nor will it be near
enough to their Chosen One in San Diego. "Why not be up front..." is
OBVIOUS. Look at all the filth, drama, and vindictiveness that has taken
over completely since Conan was removed from OC Shelter. There's your reason
for taking this out off the public forum.

Old July 5th 05, 04:42 PM
CatNipped

In fact, my own personal theory about the Conan frenzy is that this one
cat turned into a living singular example of frustraion and heartbreak
over the hundreds of nice, adoptable cats who are dumped at a shelter
right now. None of us can save them all, but this time everybody had a
chance to save one, and Conan symbolized all of them. It was really
neat to see it unfold until it turned icky.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with that insight, Sherry.
There are days I can be perfectly happy, everything going my way, and not a
care in the world. And then I'll start thinking about a little kitten, or
an old cat, abandoned and starving, or waiting in a cage to be "put to
sleep" (I hate euphemisms like that, it hides an awful truth), and I'll be
in tears for the rest of the day. No we can't save them all, and that
knowledge hurts. Just knowing that there are people in this world who are
callous enough to "dump" a cat who is no longer "convenient" to own - not to
mention those sickos who actively try to hurt cats - is just too depressing
to dwell on.

I've tried to stay out of the Conan drama as much as possible because I feel
I have "friends" in both "camps" and I don't want to alienate anyone.
However, trying for a little "balance" here...Being in a kennel is not a
horrible existence, if it's temporary. People go off on one or two week
vacations all the time and leave their pets in a kennel. As long as the
kennel is clean and well-run and the pets are cared for properly, then the
pets are perfectly fine. That being said though, I think it is a bit
mean-spirited to withhold all information on a cat with whom so many people
have become emotionally involved, or to deny that cat a forever-home simply
because of group politics (if that is the case).

I've always donated to local rescue groups, but if nothing else, this whole
drama has encouraged me to get more personally involved in getting more cats
placed in good homes.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 5th 05, 04:54 PM
Philip

snip
I am fully aware of that. Mary insinutated that I rather minimized the
extent that other people are already involved in their local shelters.
I did not, and that thought actually never crossed my mind. I'm aware
that a whole lot of posters are already quite involved. I also know
that just be virtue of being enough of a cat-lover to reguarly post
here, means they care enough about the species to contribute to the
welfare of cats at whatever level they're able to on a regular basis.
In fact, my own personal theory about the Conan frenzy is that this one
cat turned into a living singular example of frustraion and heartbreak
over the hundreds of nice, adoptable cats who are dumped at a shelter
right now.

Dumped? That is a melodramatic description. Animal Control is the largest
contributor to the OC Shelter population, followed by private individuals
who have borrowed animal traps to capture strays and ferals. Then there is
the relatively small population of "owner relinquished" animals. Another
small population of Shelter contributors are foster homes who cannot place
the kittens of strays and owner relinquished cats in their temporary
custody. I learned a bit from two of the seasoned shelter workers.

None of us can save them all, but this time everybody had a
chance to save one, and Conan symbolized all of them. It was really
neat to see it unfold until it turned icky.

The day things turned icky here was on the day after I decided to exercise
my exhange option option.

I hope you get your answers. And yes, I do agree that you all need that.

You may think "they need" answers but in fact, are not entitled to any
explanations.

Another wacko nutjob theory I have is that, the majority of people who
regularly do rescue, and many of the best voluteers, are control
freaks. I don't say that in a bad way. But it's true from what I see
everyday. Could be a contributing factor in this deal.

Sherry

You're likely right. Mary and one or two others is/are ...out of control.
LOL